Taking Classes To Improve Chances For Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angie244

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually wanted to get back into the school mode after working for a couple of years.

I've heard that taking a biochem class helps significantly in studying for the MCAT as well as looking good for medical schools. So my question is this,

has anyone benefitted from taking biochem and helping them in getting accepted to medical schools?

Also, does it matter if I take biochem at my undergraduate institution or at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if taking biochem will help your chances of getting accepted. I do know that some schools require that applicants take biochem prior to matriculation. Also, like you noted, the course will make the MCAT easier---not that the MCAT tests specific knowledge of the subject, but having a background in it can help on certain questions. Finally, since you will have to take biochemistry in medical school, taking an undergraduate version now will help you later.

At most schools, biochemistry is classified as an upper division Chemistry or Biology course, so I don't know of many community colleges that would offer this.

If it is offered at a community college, make sure it isn't a "survey course" that is given to Nursing students.

Angie244 said:
I actually wanted to get back into the school mode after working for a couple of years.

I've heard that taking a biochem class helps significantly in studying for the MCAT as well as looking good for medical schools. So my question is this,

has anyone benefitted from taking biochem and helping them in getting accepted to medical schools?

Also, does it matter if I take biochem at my undergraduate institution or at a community college?
In my opinion, yes and yes. The people who make the test have already removed questions from other areas and added biochem. like (genetics, etc.) questions. If nothing else it will make you more confident on test day and possibly reinforce things learned in bio and chem. As for taking com. col. classes, some schools actually write in their websites that they look at comm. college classes differently. Especially if it looks on your transcript like you can't handle university classes and needed to turn to the comm. col.