Have I improved enough as a reapplicant to have some chance? And help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Multiple time reapplicant; one of my biggest issues was submitting secondaries late in Nov-Dec.
Previous record:
Ugrad 3.75/3.70 s/cGPA
MCAT 1: 518 (132/123/131/132) - low CARS score, so retook
MCAT 2: 519 (132/125/131/131)
ECs: extensive research in 2 labs, 2 non-first-author pubs, 7 conference posters, couple of small awards; MCAT instructor; EMT; tutor; lots of clinical volunteering

New additions:
  • Completed MPH; 3.92 GPA
  • MPH Fieldwork that involved mix of projects in a clinic, shadowing, soup kitchen volunteering (though obviously all cut short)
  • More work as MCAT instructor, started crisis counselor volunteering
  • Edit: A new strong LOR from a physician at the fieldwork clinic who was really impressed by me
  • Edit: I also rejigged my personal statement and have been including in my secondaries newer, fresher anecdotes about the patient families I met (unlike my previous clinical work, I kept a journal with specific experiences) and work I did (GIS mapping, designing educational materials, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, if I was rejected two or more times at a particular school, is it worth applying there again? Some schools I know have explicit policies against this, but what about those that don't say anything about this on their website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think you’re a multiple time reapplicant?

What is/was your school list?

My main issue I think was my really late apps.

I'm a PA resident; here are the schools to which I've previously applied:
Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Penn State, Geisinger, UPitt, NYMC, Albany, Loyola Stritch, Creighton, SLU, Tulane, Boston U, USF Morsani, Nova Southeastern, Loma Linda, VA Tech, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, Einstein, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Wake Forest, Tufts, Rush

Most of these I've applied once or twice, so I was thinking about sticking to the lower-tier private and OOS-friendly state schools, while avoiding the ones I have applied to multiple times (Temple, Loyola, SLU, etc.).
I haven't applied to DO previously, but am doing so in this cycle.

One thing I'm wondering is what's a good number of schools I should aim for?

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Washington University
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools consider these:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Did you receive any interviews in your previous cycles?

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Washington University
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
For DO schools consider these:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Did you receive any interviews in your previous cycles?

Thank you so much for the list. I received interviews at Geisinger Commonwealth and VA Tech, though these were despite applying late.

Do you think upper tiers like Mount Sinai, Pitt, CWRU, Rochester, and U Washington are worth it at all as a multiple time reapplicant?

Also, if I have applied to Jefferson, Tufts, and Temple multiple times (without interview) do you think it's worth reapplying to them again? Intuitively I would think they really don't want me, but looking back at past threads in this forum shows repplicants to the same school are favored if they made some improvements in their app. For what it's worth, I failed to get into Temple LKSOM's ACMS postbac program (it's the postbac with a conditional acceptance if you get 509 MCAT and 3.6GPA in their program).

Lastly, should I include Caribbean schools? I know it's really frowned upon around here and that with the Step 1 P/F conversion it'd likely be an even steeper uphill battle, but in my case if I fail to get into any MD or DO schools this cycle, then I most likely won't get in during any future cycles. So something is better than nothing?

Reactions: 1 user
It is worth applying to upper tier schools with your stats. Do not apply to U Washington since they accept very few applicants who are not from the Northwest but apply to Washington University (in St. Louis) since they like high MCAT scores. Temple and Jefferson have some instate preference so definitely apply to those. Forget about Caribbean schools. Just add more DO schools instead such as ones in nearby states- WVSOM and UP-KYCOM.

Reactions: 1 users