Tackling Weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So UW shows you percentage by main division (path, pharm, pathophys, etc) and also by sub-division (neuro, cardio, renal, etc). Is there a way to figure out what main division we're weakest in for a particular sub-division (e.g. neuro pharm vs neuro path vs neuro pathophys)?

Also how do you guys recommend prioritizing weaknesses? Based on my UW percentages I'm equally strong/weak in each organ system, but a bit weaker in physio and anatomy vs path/pharm/pathophys. Obviously I'm not going to go and read netters or anything like that, but would it be worthwhile to flip through BRS physio or should I just spend more time reviewing UW physio explanations?

Members don't see this ad.

I read a lot of things online, and the write-up by the holy one Phloston, and the majority of people say use BRS physio as a supplement, but Phloston said that he couldn't use BRS physio to answer a single physio question on his test. All the questions in BRS physio were way too easy or hard comparatively.

Instead, what he said to do, and I thought helpful, was to go through the Kaplan Qbank physio questions (they're online somewhere if you search hard enough...) and do those questions. Some of them are pretty hard (and there's no way 30% of people got them right) but I think it's more worthwhile than straight reading BRS physio or going over your UW physio explanations ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I read a lot of things online, and the write-up by the holy one Phloston, and the majority of people say use BRS physio as a supplement, but Phloston said that he couldn't use BRS physio to answer a single physio question on his test. All the questions in BRS physio were way too easy or hard comparatively.

Instead, what he said to do, and I thought helpful, was to go through the Kaplan Qbank physio questions (they're online somewhere if you search hard enough...) and do those questions. Some of them are pretty hard (and there's no way 30% of people got them right) but I think it's more worthwhile than straight reading BRS physio or going over your UW physio explanations.

Lmao think about the absurdity of that statement though...with all of the information in that book, not a single USMLE question could be answered from it?

Lmao think about the absurdity of that statement though...with all of the information in that book, not a single USMLE question could be answered from it?

Both of these following quotes are straight out of his Step 1 guide:

BRS Physiology – I purchased this because people raved about it and read the whole thing. It is a very good text for MS1 to gain a broad foundation in the subject, but it simply didn’t assist me answering USMLE questions correctly. This is what I’d like to call a “fluff book.” Many people like and/or love it for learning physio, but what I found with this book was that it was either too general or too specific. It also has lots of practice questions, but they, once again, weren’t USMLE-style and were overly pedantic, particularly with regard to some of the calculations, which are the type that have never been known to have been tested on the USMLE. The vast majority of the physio questions on the exam are going to be arrow-questions that you can answer based on having done QBank questions alone.

Q: many suggest BRS Physiology. Goljian audio is great too but only if you do it earlier in the year.

A: I read BRS Physio about 5-months-out. I only purchased it because everyone raved about it, but it was way overkill for Step1. This text earned me zero questions correct on both the NBMEs and on my real deal. I would recommend this text for someone in MS1 who wants to build his or her foundation in physiology. However if you're within 6 months of the exam, this book should be essentially nill on the priority list. Practice questions and reading the explanations is pretty much all you have to do for physio. And don't touch physio in the last two weeks. Just focus on biochem, micro, embryo and pharm.

Honestly at this point, 1 week out, I'm learning to trust my instincts and study what I need to study, and flying through a 600 page physio book wouldn't be one of my top priorities anyways ;)

Both of these following quotes are straight out of his Step 1 guide:

Honestly at this point, 1 week out, I'm learning to trust my instincts and study what I need to study, and flying through a 600 page physio book wouldn't be one of my top priorities anyways ;)

I wasn't questioning whether it was said or not. I've read it too. Just because he said that in a 20-something page narrative doesn't make it any less absurd. An entire book summarizing almost if not all of the main physio concepts wouldn't get you a single question right? OP said he wanted more review of physio and that is almost always mentioned as the best physio review book. Btw it's only 300-some pages and a good amount of those are practice questions and answers.