T wave on ecg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravi Chaudhary

Reaction score
Sorry if it appear ridiculous, but if the repolarization starts first from the cell which is last to depolarize and in opposite direction then why the T wave is not the exact mirror image of QRS complex??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take a swing at answering:

When you depolarize, that's a wave of positive charge going outwards as cells go from -70mV up to +10mV or whatever.
As you repolarize, that's a wave of negative charge going inwards, as cells go from +10mV down to -70mV or whatever.

A positive wave going outwards gives us the same deflection as a negative wave going inwards. I think.

I'll take a swing at answering:

When you depolarize, that's a wave of positive charge going outwards as cells go from -70mV up to +10mV or whatever.
As you repolarize, that's a wave of negative charge going inwards, as cells go from +10mV down to -70mV or whatever.

A positive wave going outwards gives us the same deflection as a negative wave going inwards. I think.
Thanks for your reply. But my question was not that why T wave is positive. In other words my question was- why T wave is round, dome-shaped why isn't it biphasic or involving 3 waves similar to QRS complex.

Thanks for your reply. But my question was not that why T wave is positive. In other words my question was- why T wave is round, dome-shaped why isn't it biphasic or involving 3 waves similar to QRS complex.

My guess is that repolarization is slower than depolarization, so the wave isn't as sharp.

Reactions: 1 users