Reading ECG strip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goal270

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for solving a question which requires you to read ECG strips? I mean, what leads should you look at first, or just how to go about it?\

Also, do we have to understand axis deviation too from the ecg? Asking since it is not given in FA

Members don't see this ad.

What's in FA is enough for the boards. Axis deviation not necessary to know for the boards

Reactions: 2 users
I only had 2 questions on my exam with ekgs, and neither required the ekg to solve the question (though it was useful for 1). FA was enough, but your test may be different. Mine was killer in other areas.
Thank you for that! Big relief!
Do you have any idea how to prepare for those 'killer' questions, apart from the usual UFAP? or is it just reading UFAP well that might help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any tips for solving a question which requires you to read ECG strips? I mean, what leads should you look at first, or just how to go about it?\

Also, do we have to understand axis deviation too from the ecg? Asking since it is not given in FA

Do we have to know how to interpret ECG's

Post #7 on this thread (I answered this years ago. Hopefully that helps!)

Reactions: 1 user
I'd try memorizing first aid as much as possible because they test even the seemingly low-yield concepts in there, but also try to understand what you are memorizing, because it will be presented in a different way. About half of what I've missed so far was mentioned in first aid, either as a small factoid or just written in a different way. They also use synonyms for different diseases, which really sucks. And then there's stuff not in any source, which you can't prepare for.
Thank for those tips :)