switching from semesters to quarters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up until about a week and a half from now I have been enrolled in universities that go by the semester system and the school I will be attending is quarters. Other than the obvious time difference, what should I expect in terms of adjustment? And can anyone give me any hints?

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest difference between quarters and semesters for me was that with the quarter ystem you can absolutely not afford to fall behind. Quarters go by so quickly that midterms creep up on you before you know it. I don't advocate slacking off during semesters, but you could miss a class or two and not fall incredibly behind. Not so with quarters from my experience.

You know how summer schools go by REAL quick? It's kinda like that. In semester classes, you can get away with not touching your book for a week. In the quarter system, you HAVE to stay on top of your stuff weekly or even biweekly if you want to do well. e.g. You'll probably have midterms on weeks 4 and 7, and finals after week 10.