advice on post bacc after 2 semesters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratstew

Reaction score
hi - im just looking for some guidance. i just finished up on my third post bac class (general chemistry 1 + general chemistry 1 lab), and i want some realistic advice on how to go forward and improve. i am a career changer (sort of), having taken some premed prereqs my first two years of undergrad and then pausing because my mental health had seriously deteriorated. my first two years of undergrad i had a cGPA of 1.792 (very bad i am aware), and a sGPA of 1.737. i switched to a health sciences major which i loved and my cGPA at the end of undergrad went to a very shocking 3.037, which i know is low but i worked my ass off so im proud for myself. i decided that i still did want to do medicine, so i am in a post bacc at my state school right now where im taking basically every prereq bc i don’t think i passed a single one in undergrad.

i have taken bio 2 + bio 2 lab, where i earned b’s for each, respectively, which i know is bad. i also had to take a math class, where i got an a, and i just got my final grades back for gen chem 1 + gen chem 1 lab, which are a- and a, respectively. with this in mind, my post bacc cGPA is a 3.69 and my sGPA for AMCAS for the post bacc is a 3.56 and a 3.34 for AACOMAS. i have done my fair share of research here about reinventors, and i know my grades aren’t hitting the standard for those (i believe i need a 3.7 to be even a little competitive but i could be wrong). a 3.7 is more than possible if i get a’s throughout the rest of the program, but if i only got an a-, a, and b in the three classes ive taken so far, is that a red flag? am i wasting my time?

also am just seeking any advice for the rest of my post bacc, as im definitely going to take gen chem 2 and the lab this summer too - i want to ace it, and im struggling to do so. when i took gen chem 1 in undergrad i got a d, so the a- is something im very proud of (i had a 95 until the final :(, so i know what to do to improve). i think i can improve, but i don’t know to what i should do to go from a- to a. i also apologize if im sounding neurotic, i just have been thinking and am a bit anxious. thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

i know my grades aren’t hitting the standard for those (i believe i need a 3.7 to be even a little competitive but i could be wrong). a 3.7 is more than possible if i get a’s throughout the rest of the program, but if i only got an a-, a, and b in the three classes ive taken so far, is that a red flag? am i wasting my time?
Only you can answer this. I'd say that you have a good start, so just try to do better in your next set of classes.

Reactions: 1 user