SUNY Upstate Medical 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm from nyc. still looking for an apartment/ roomate. this is rough. where/how did u guys find apartments?

Im actually moving to Syracuse with my girlfriend, so I didnt look at Madison or Jefferson. I used craigslist (syracuse.craigslist.org) and orangehousing.com to search for apartments. Some of the complexes that were listed on orangehousing.com weren't too bad, but most of them were a 5-10 minute drive from the hospital/school. I also think LuLu used a realistate agent to help search for apartment, but I dont know how well that went.

Is there much movement on the waitlists for Maddison or Jefferson?

good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone... I am going to be part of the class of 2011 and I'm from NYC.
I know a lot of ppl are still looking for places but I actually have an apt at Madison Towers but I still need a roommate so if anyone is interested, please hit me up. I have a 2 room extended and I am also attending summer anatomy. If anyone is interested or know someone, please let me know. I look forward to meeting everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm from nyc. still looking for an apartment/ roomate. this is rough. where/how did u guys find apartments?

Hello Everyone... I am going to be part of the class of 2011 and I'm from NYC.
I know a lot of ppl are still looking for places but I actually have an apt at Madison Towers but I still need a roommate so if anyone is interested, please hit me up. I have a 2 room extended and I am also attending summer anatomy. If anyone is interested or know someone, please let me know. I look forward to meeting everyone

Hi guys, i'm glad to hear you are getting your housing stuff done! I was on the waitlist for a one bedroom in madison and less than a week ago the owner called and offered it to me after someone left! so i'm very happy and excited to start school and meet all of you!:)

Hey, I was just curious if anyone has signed up for the summer anatomy class... I didn't, but I am kind of wishing that I had. I've only been out of schools for a week, but im already bored out of my mind:(

No summer anatomy for me. Enjoy your free time while you can :)

Can any current students tell me whether or not you are allowed to paint your walls in Madison Towers????

hey guys, i got a call from the people at madison today. I got a 2 bedroom extended living room. awesome i know. i'm so relieved. so i still need a roommate if anyone is interested. the rent is $450 after we split it. if you're interested, PM me. i'm so excited :D
P.S. no summer anatomy. the students who took me on my tour when i was there said that some of students that took anatomy during the summer ended up being kinda alienated from the rest of the class. they say it's a bonding experience in the fall.
see you all soon....

Anybody know the difference between the A and B rooms of the 2 bedroom apartments in Clarke Tower? I think one is bigger but I don't know which one.

Also, does anybody know which banks ATMs are located in/near the university?

Also, does anybody know which banks ATMs are located in/near the university?

There is a Bank of America ATM next to the gift shop in the hospital, and an M&T bank ATM across the street in the Crouse Professional office building. Also, in the Crouse Professional building, there is a small M&T branch.

Congratulations to all.

racerx

There's also a Bank of America about half a block from Madison and Jefferson for those living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a Bank of America ATM next to the gift shop in the hospital, and an M&T bank ATM across the street in the Crouse Professional office building. Also, in the Crouse Professional building, there is a small M&T branch.

Congratulations to all.

racerx

Does anyone know if there is a Citizens bank in the area? Im trying to decide if I need to switch banks when I move to America. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for banks let me know :) thanks.

Does anyone know if there is a Citizens bank in the area? Im trying to decide if I need to switch banks when I move to America. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for banks let me know :) thanks.

I know there are Citizens branches in Price-Chopper supermarkets here. However, you may need a vehicle to get to one from campus. Here is what I get from the citizens webpage:

Closest Branches
1 Erie Blvd/Price Chopper
2515 Erie Blvd East, Syracuse, NY 13224
Lobby Hours: Mon: 10AM-7PM, Tue: 10AM-7PM,
Wed: 10AM-7PM, Thu: 10AM-7PM, Fri: 10AM-7PM,
Sat: 10AM-4PM, Sun: 11AM-3PM
Drive Hours: Mon: na, Tue: na, Wed: na, Thu: na,
Fri: na, Sat: na, Sun: na (BranchID: CBNA185)
Phone: 315-446-3131
Distance: 1.78 miles

question for anyone that may know: is it possible to walk from madison to school? I heard there is a highway that can't be crossed....please clarify. thanks

question for anyone that may know: is it possible to walk from madison to school? I heard there is a highway that can't be crossed....please clarify. thanks

You can walk to and from. The Highway is raised, so you walk under the highway. There are crosswalks.

I know there are Citizens branches in Price-Chopper supermarkets here. However, you may need a vehicle to get to one from campus. Here is what I get from the citizens webpage:

Closest Branches
1 Erie Blvd/Price Chopper
2515 Erie Blvd East, Syracuse, NY 13224
Lobby Hours: Mon: 10AM-7PM, Tue: 10AM-7PM,
Wed: 10AM-7PM, Thu: 10AM-7PM, Fri: 10AM-7PM,
Sat: 10AM-4PM, Sun: 11AM-3PM
Drive Hours: Mon: na, Tue: na, Wed: na, Thu: na,
Fri: na, Sat: na, Sun: na (BranchID: CBNA185)
Phone: 315-446-3131
Distance: 1.78 miles

Thanks for the info :) I will have a car, becuase I will be living about 10 minutes from campus, so I guess I will have to drive around and see how convenient it is considering where my apartment is in relation to the hospital. :)

Someone commented several posts ago that you wanted to know dates for orientation and classes. If you look at the web page you should find a calander--I know it's already been published. Perhaps under the "Current students" "cirriculum" or "college of medicine" links on some of these pages. Im in a rush and can't check now, but if you are dying to know, it is definitely on the web somewhere.

Thanks for the info :) I will have a car, becuase I will be living about 10 minutes from campus, so I guess I will have to drive around and see how convenient it is considering where my apartment is in relation to the hospital. :)

There are about 8 branches in the Syracuse area. I just selected the hospital's zip code to get a "representative slice" off the Citizen's website. If you enter your apartments address in the Citizen's website, it'll give you a list in increasing distance from your home.

racerx

Does anyone know if we have any days off for summer anatomy? Fourth of July or anything...?

I don't know about this year but my year's summer anatomy did have a three day weekend for the fourth and then the tuesday back was lab only without any lectures. And I wouldn't worry about it anyway; the 8 weeks go really quickly and most people have at least 3 weeks on either side of the course to vacation.

does anyone have a problem getting the video lectures on a mac ?

You can access any of the course materials on a Mac. . lecture videos (uses real player), powerpoints, anything on blackboard (course material reference site), and there is an alternate website for the Cases course.

Congrats on your acceptance to Upstate!

HSBC is right up the street from school and there's a HSBC atm in the hospital too.

Hey, I was just curious if anyone has signed up for the summer anatomy class... I didn't, but I am kind of wishing that I had. I've only been out of schools for a week, but im already bored out of my mind:(

Enjoy the summer!
Come to school with a lot of energy!
I think anatomy's better in the fall anyways. . because it's with most of your classmates, the faculty's great (not split with the PT students as in summer anatomy), there's a lot of extra help, and you get a free netters! (although you might in the summer too)
so enjoy the summer, and come back with energy for the fall!

ok i'm debating whether to have a car for school next year. do most students have cars? is it necessary?

i got assigned to clark tower. does that mean that i'll definitely get a parking space in the old garage?

so on the clark tower license, it says that the license date doesn't start until 8/21, which is the day before orientation. is that the earliest i can move in? i was hoping to get a couple days to unpack before the hectic-ness starts...

The "old" garage was just torn-down. The students that stay in clark will be assigned to park in East (the newer) garage. I am not sure if the monthly fee is increasing.

ok i'm debating whether to have a car for school next year. do most students have cars? is it necessary?

i got assigned to clark tower. does that mean that i'll definitely get a parking space in the old garage?

so on the clark tower license, it says that the license date doesn't start until 8/21, which is the day before orientation. is that the earliest i can move in? i was hoping to get a couple days to unpack before the hectic-ness starts...

The "old" garage was just torn-down. The students that stay in clark will be assigned to park in East (the newer) garage. I am not sure if the monthly fee is increasing.

Racerx, I was also wondering if you knew if there was a website that gave details about parking at the school/ hospital. I.e what the garage rates are and where we can park etc. Because I wont be living close enough to the school to walk, I was just wondering how much parking was going to cost me every month. Thanks for all the info :)

Racerx, I was also wondering if you knew if there was a website that gave details about parking at the school/ hospital. I.e what the garage rates are and where we can park etc. Because I wont be living close enough to the school to walk, I was just wondering how much parking was going to cost me every month. Thanks for all the info :)

here's the parking website, it has all the info on it.

http://www.upstate.edu/parking/

At the beginning of this past academic year, I was assigned to the "R" lot. It was OK for $34/month.

I live in Liverpool, and was assigned to the Alliance Stadium lot. At first, I was p!$$ed off, as it is up near the carousel mall. After two days I realized that the buses ran on a tight schedule, every 5 minutes apart, and it actually took the same time to get to school as when I was parking in "R" lot (except I'm not doing the driving into downtown). The bonus is that the parking fee for Alliance Staium is $0/month. Yep, zilch, zip, nada.

An added bonus for my caffeine-addicted self is the Dunkin Donuts at the entrance to the stadium parking area. Very convenient to hit the drive thru on my way to the lot. :thumbup: Now, the money I save on not having a parking fee is used for DD coffee.

Hi! I am going to be a first year medical student and am also looking for a roommate...I saw a couple of posts regarding people still looking for roommates and was wondering if anyone was still interested? Thanks!!!

For those that had questions re: Berger Commission, here's an update. Apologies for the formatting issues.

Hospitals Near Deal on Sharing

Crouse-University joint council called a breakthrough
Friday, June 15, 2007 By James T. Mulder
Staff Writer
Crouse and University hospitals have tentatively agreed to form a joint advisory council that will coordinate planning between the two institutions and identify programs that can be consolidated.
The affiliation council proposed by the hospitals received the preliminary blessing of state Health Commissioner Dr. Richard F. Daines at a meeting in Albany Thursday, according to Assemblyman William Magnarelli, D-Syracuse, who was at the meeting.
Daines and other Health Department officials at the meeting said the proposal will bring the hospitals into compliance with the state Berger Commission, which calls for the neighboring hospitals to join forces.
"This to me is a breakthrough," Magnarelli said.
Bob Allen, a spokesman for Crouse, confirmed the tentative agreement. "There really still is a lot of work that needs to occur between the two organizations to really define what it is that this council will do," he said.
University officials could not be reached for comment Thursday.
Magnarelli said a final agreement between the hospitals and the state may be reached in a few weeks.
The Berger Commission called for the two hospitals to join forces under a non-SUNY governance structure. That commission's recommendation became law Jan. 1. University Hospital is part of SUNY Upstate Medical University.
University and its unions have vehemently opposed the Berger Commission recommendation, saying it would lead to a privatization of University Hospital and the loss of some of its services. Earlier this year, SUNY Upstate proposed that the state allow it to take over Crouse, an idea rejected by Crouse.
The inability of University and Crouse to come to an agreement prompted the state Health Department to delay approving routine requests by the hospitals to buy equipment, start new programs and make other changes.
Under the tentative agreement, both hospitals will remain independent, University will remain part of SUNY and not go private, according to Magnarelli.
The affiliation council would have 13 members. Crouse and University would each appoint six. The chairperson, the 13th member of the council, would need to be approved by two-thirds of the members.
The council would be advisory in nature and not have the power to make binding decisions, according to Magnarelli. The council, however, would have clout, he said. That's because it's unlikely the Health Department would approve any project requests by either hospital if they did not pass muster first with the council.
The uncertainty created by the Berger Commission has made it harder for both hospitals to recruit and retain staff. That problem will disappear if the agreement is approved, Magnarelli said.
"Employees won't have to worry about what's going to happen down the road," he said.
University and Crouse, physically connected by a tunnel, have talked about merging or consolidating for more than 30 years. Many Upstate medical residents do their training at Crouse, while Crouse sends patients who need heart surgery to Upstate. The last major effort to create what was billed as a "virtual" merger between Crouse and University fell apart in 2002 after Crouse's employee union - Service Employees International Union 1199 - opposed it.
Magnarelli said he does not expect the unions to oppose the latest proposal.
At Thursday's meeting, state Health Department officials indicated Crouse and University will no longer face regulatory delays of pending projects if they finalize the agreement, Magnarelli said.
If the hospitals finalize the deal, they also will be eligible to apply for some of the $550 million in federal money the state is offering hospitals and nursing homes to make it easier to comply with the Berger Commission's mandates to close, downsize and consolidate.
James T. Mulder can be reached at 470-2245 or [email protected].

hmm they said that they would be posting the orientation material online today. but i don't see it...

hmm they said that they would be posting the orientation material online today. but i don't see it...

Yeah :( I was really disappointed when i couldn't find it today. Maybe they sent us letters that will come in a day or two. :confused: If anyone finds the info online let us know.

Hello everyone!

I was recently accepted off of the waiting list and now I'm trying to find place to live near campus. Is anyone still looking for a roommate? If so please let me know.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

For those of you who have expressed concern about the Berger Commission's effect on Upstate, here is an update.

June 21, 2007

To members of the Crouse Hospital and SUNY Upstate Medical University communities:

Today, we signed the Affiliation and Collaboration Agreement that moves our two institutions forward on the road to a more collaborative relationship that will benefit the patients we serve and the greater Central New York community.

This agreement, which takes effect immediately, has the support of the New York State Department of Health, which has indicated that this agreement brings our institutions into compliance with the recommendations prescribed by the Berger Commission.

Signing this agreement removes any restrictions on the review of our hospitals' certificates of need and enables us to apply jointly for HEAL‑NY funding to support new collaborations.

What is most important about this agreement is that it allows two of Central New York's leading healthcare institutions to move forward in a new collaborative spirit to enhance patient care and achieve greater efficiencies, while at the same time preserving our relationships with our employees and respective labor unions, and retaining our individual governance structures.

The centerpiece of this agreement is the creation of an Affiliation Council that will review and recommend ways to strengthen our existing collaborations; identify opportunities for further affiliations and new collaborations between both institutions; and facilitate planning for the review of proposals for potential new clinical services. It will be up to the two parties to draft the charter that will describe the powers and composition of the council. This council is a logical next step to further our already existing collaborative relationship.

As you know Crouse and SUNY Upstate have a rich history of collaboration and cooperation. Pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, cardiac services, to name a few, are some of the areas where our existing partnerships enable our patients to receive high‑quality healthcare services. The intent of the Affiliation Council will be to optimize areas where collaborations can bring even greater benefits to patients throughout Central New York.

We thank all of you for your patience and support during the past six months as our two institutions discussed how best to comply with Berger Commission recommendations without jeopardizing our missions of service to the Central New York community. Special thanks and recognition must be extended to Health Commissioner Dr. Richard Daines and our state legislators who offered much encouragement and input along the way.

Together we will keep you informed on our progress as we embark on this new era of collaboration.

Sincerely,

David R. Smith, M.D.
President
SUNY Upstate Medical University

Paul Kronenberg
President
Crouse Hospital

Dr. Smith has been very diligent in keeping the SUNY Upstate community informed about this issue. While only here a year, his presence has been felt at all levels.
This affiliation council will satisfy the unified governance the Berger Commission recommended.

For those of you who have expressed concern about the Berger Commission's effect on Upstate, here is an update.

June 21, 2007

To members of the Crouse Hospital and SUNY Upstate Medical University communities:

Today, we signed the Affiliation and Collaboration Agreement that moves our two institutions forward on the road to a more collaborative relationship that will benefit the patients we serve and the greater Central New York community.

This agreement, which takes effect immediately, has the support of the New York State Department of Health, which has indicated that this agreement brings our institutions into compliance with the recommendations prescribed by the Berger Commission.

Signing this agreement removes any restrictions on the review of our hospitals’ certificates of need and enables us to apply jointly for HEAL‑NY funding to support new collaborations.

What is most important about this agreement is that it allows two of Central New York’s leading healthcare institutions to move forward in a new collaborative spirit to enhance patient care and achieve greater efficiencies, while at the same time preserving our relationships with our employees and respective labor unions, and retaining our individual governance structures.

The centerpiece of this agreement is the creation of an Affiliation Council that will review and recommend ways to strengthen our existing collaborations; identify opportunities for further affiliations and new collaborations between both institutions; and facilitate planning for the review of proposals for potential new clinical services. It will be up to the two parties to draft the charter that will describe the powers and composition of the council. This council is a logical next step to further our already existing collaborative relationship.

As you know Crouse and SUNY Upstate have a rich history of collaboration and cooperation. Pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, cardiac services, to name a few, are some of the areas where our existing partnerships enable our patients to receive high‑quality healthcare services. The intent of the Affiliation Council will be to optimize areas where collaborations can bring even greater benefits to patients throughout Central New York.

We thank all of you for your patience and support during the past six months as our two institutions discussed how best to comply with Berger Commission recommendations without jeopardizing our missions of service to the Central New York community. Special thanks and recognition must be extended to Health Commissioner Dr. Richard Daines and our state legislators who offered much encouragement and input along the way.

Together we will keep you informed on our progress as we embark on this new era of collaboration.

Sincerely,

David R. Smith, M.D.
President
SUNY Upstate Medical University

Paul Kronenberg
President
Crouse Hospital

Dr. Smith has been very diligent in keeping the SUNY Upstate community informed about this issue. While only here a year, his presence has been felt at all levels.
This affiliation council will satisfy the unified governance the Berger Commission recommended.

That is very encouraging to hear. If only they would now give us the orientation material :( My sister is starting undergrad this year and gets info. from her school every day. I'm a little jealous :mad:

That is very encouraging to hear. If only they would now give us the orientation material :( My sister is starting undergrad this year and gets info. from her school every day. I'm a little jealous :mad:

They were a bit behind last year too, IIRC.

Just wanted to let you guys know, I got my orientation material in the mail yesterday so I'm guessing that everyone should receive something soon

Just wanted to let you guys know, I got my orientation material in the mail yesterday so I'm guessing that everyone should receive something soon

I got my packet in the mail on Wednesday and I'm in Seattle, so everyone else should be getting theirs very soon. I can't believe they gave us the exam dates already. :eek:

Thats weird... i haven't gotten my packet in the mail yet.

However, the material is also posted online, so I guess that will have to do for now. :)

Does anyone have recommendations for internet providers in Syracuse? I can't seem to find anyone other than Time Warner. I'll be living in Madison Towers if that helps at all.

Does anyone have recommendations for internet providers in Syracuse? I can't seem to find anyone other than Time Warner. I'll be living in Madison Towers if that helps at all.

I use Verizon DSL, and it is fast enough for me. I got the fastest DSL package they offer, and it is fine for streaming the lectures.

Thanks for the information on internet providers. I have another question: I'll be living in Madison and was considering just walking to class rather than getting on campus parking. Is that feasible during the winter? I'm from the NW, so I'm not used to cold winters. I'm just wondering if I would freeze trying to walk to class during the winter.

Thanks for the information on internet providers. I have another question: I'll be living in Madison and was considering just walking to class rather than getting on campus parking. Is that feasible during the winter? I'm from the NW, so I'm not used to cold winters. I'm just wondering if I would freeze trying to walk to class during the winter.

You will only have a 3 minute walk to school anyhow. Just buy a good coat and you'll be fine. With the parking situation as it is, you might end up father away from school to park than just walking from Madison.

Does anyone have any info for out of staters regarding a NYS residency. I know you can get it after 1 year if you meet some requirements - but do most out of state students at Upstate have a problem with this?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

New to this thread. Got in off the waitlist, but now realized that housing is a bit rough. Does anyone need a roommate in either madison or jefferson? It seems finding a place near the hospital close enough to walk (same problem with the NW thing posted above) seems to be a rarity.

Thanks