SUNY Upstate Medical 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the Setnor Building open yet??? Will the standardized patients and clinical training skills be a part of our curriculum next year?

It's not open yet, but VERY close. Yes, you work with standardized patients after you learn H/P skills. Before that, you practice on a partner from your small group.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been released and I've seen it, but I don't have an online copy to send you...I think all MSIVs have it and its posted in Weiskotten.

Just letting you know that said document does exist. I didn't memorize it so I can't give stats either...and most of the "stats" I have are second hand anyway...sorry

Just wondering where everyone else went...:confused:

Have any of you guys made your decissions yet. Im pretty sure that I've decided to go to Upstate. :) The next step is finding a place to live:)

Where do most students work out? I remember seeing the weightroom in the rec building, and it didn't look like much. Are students permitted to use Syracuse U's gym?

Also, how much does rent go for nearby? Is it easy to find something cheaper than the University apartments?

Where do most students work out? I remember seeing the weightroom in the rec building, and it didn't look like much. Are students permitted to use Syracuse U's gym?

Also, how much does rent go for nearby? Is it easy to find something cheaper than the University apartments?

I dont know about the gym, but for appartments I have been looking at www.orangehousing.com and the syracuse craigslist, syracuse.craigslist.com, for apartments. I dont know about one bedroom apartments, but I know you can get two bedroom apartments for between $500 and 800 a month. Sometimes that even includes utilities. Good luck on the housing search :)

I actually wound up working out at the CAB because it was convienent, but a lot of students use Gold's Gym or Bally's--there are a few around. There's also a really nice YMCA in Fayetteville, but its a little out of the way.

The CAB is free and easy and if you want a place to go and you only have an hour it will do. I was training for an athletic competition when I first came to Upstate and found it difficult to continue my college workout, as I did a a lot of circuit training intermixed with sprints and such (and im short/not built for a lot of the machines to get the right muscles worked out), but since then I just do fitness to stay in shape and it has been adequate.

Housing: most students live in Madison or Jefferson--some in Clark and some off campus. With the new parking situation I would highly recommend living within walking distance for the first year unless you are garanteed a spot where you don't have to be shuttled in from the stadium.

Anybody know any places that are subletting for just the summer?

I called Madison Towers and the woman who answered told me there wasn't anyone subletting, clearly she didn't know what she was talking about. I guess the student's do it on their own.

Anybody know any places that are subletting for just the summer?

I called Madison Towers and the woman who answered told me there wasn't anyone subletting, clearly she didn't know what she was talking about. I guess the student's do it on their own.

My only guess would be that you could try looking at the syracuse craigslist, www.syracuse.craigslist.com , or you could try looking in the local syracuse news paper if you live in the area. Otherwise I dont know where I would look. Good luck :)

Thought it's worth mentioning, if you're trying to get into Madison, they've put a roommates page on the madisontowers.net site.

Do most first years live on or off campus?

Probably about half are on campus and half off. After the first year, most people are off campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the on campus housing, clark towers, is really traditional dormitory style so alot of ppl (myself included) just go for off-campus housing close by...

does anyone know what the deal is with parking on campus? I called today and they said it costs $81/month. I feel like thats a little excessive for parking. Are you guys going to have cars on campus? I would assume you need one to get groceries etc.

does anyone know what the deal is with parking on campus? I called today and they said it costs $81/month. I feel like thats a little excessive for parking. Are you guys going to have cars on campus? I would assume you need one to get groceries etc.

Is that the price for on campus? Also, did you ask for the price in the parking garages or for the outside parking lots? I was under the impression that the uncovered lots were much less expensive, more like $30-$40 a month. I really hope its not $81/month. :confused:

Is that the price for on campus? Also, did you ask for the price in the parking garages or for the outside parking lots? I was under the impression that the uncovered lots were much less expensive, more like $30-$40 a month. I really hope its not $81/month. :confused:

Here's what i found on the upstate site about on campus parking... http://upstate.edu/parking/rates.php i also know that at madison towers (off-campus) parking is $30 a month

Oh yeah... I'm def going to Upstate, I've finally made my decision-- HI EVERYONE :)

I wouldn't mind parking at $35/month, but how far are these lots...and are they overnight lots?

I'll probably live in Clark, are a lot of people living in madison/jefferson?

Hi there!! I've just made my decision to go to Upstate next year and I seri have no idea what places are good to live in and what aren't that are relatively close to the school, because i hear mixed reviews about where is safe and what not! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi there!! I've just made my decision to go to Upstate next year and I seri have no idea what places are good to live in and what aren't that are relatively close to the school, because i hear mixed reviews about where is safe and what not! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is anyone else bringing a pet with them? I tried looking for apts on orangehousing.com that allow pets but it seems like they're very few and in remote areas. Are there any known apt complexes nearby that allow pets?

Is anyone else bringing a pet with them? I tried looking for apts on orangehousing.com that allow pets but it seems like they're very few and in remote areas. Are there any known apt complexes nearby that allow pets?

Did you try clicking on the "complexes" section of orangehousing.com? There may be some complexes listed there that allow pets. Also, alot of the non-complex apartments, in like converted houses, that i have see do allow pets.

What kind of pet are you bringing :)?

tool.

bump.

You do know that "seeing zebras" is a term to mean seeing unusual diseases don't you? Don't let your hair-trigger get all offended.

It comes from the saying, "when you hear hoofbeats, expect horses, not zebras." Sometimes though, you get to see a zebra when hearing hoofbeats.

Did you try clicking on the "complexes" section of orangehousing.com? There may be some complexes listed there that allow pets. Also, alot of the non-complex apartments, in like converted houses, that i have see do allow pets.

I took your advice and called a few complexes but it's the weekend and i forgot that noone would be there. I think i'm going to just go and meet with a few realtors on monday. i'll feel much better once i know where i'm living!! hope everyone's housing search is going well!:)

Does anyone know if the Madison apartments are furnished or unfurnished? Also, are their two-bedrooms nice?

Hi, Madison allows you to have pets. I live there with my cat. It is $15 extra per month.

I took your advice and called a few complexes but it's the weekend and i forgot that noone would be there. I think i'm going to just go and meet with a few realtors on monday. i'll feel much better once i know where i'm living!! hope everyone's housing search is going well!:)

If you find a good realitor let me know. I had trouble when I tried looking for them online a few weeks ago :) Good luck with your search.

Hey everyone,
new member new member!! I think I've made my decision and SUNY Upstate it is. now for housing. I'm freaking out looking for somewhere to live and from what everyone has said it seems like Madison is going to be the place for me. Now it's just to find a roomate. How about everyone else? do you guys know where you're living yet?

Hey everyone,
new member new member!! I think I've made my decision and SUNY Upstate it is. now for housing. I'm freaking out looking for somewhere to live and from what everyone has said it seems like Madison is going to be the place for me. Now it's just to find a roomate. How about everyone else? do you guys know where you're living yet?

Welcome! I went there yesterday and both madison and jefferson are both filled for next year already :mad: . I'm looking for a place as well so if you find anything please let me know!

O no! that's insane. i was looking forward to madison but thanks for the heads up. I guess I will keep looking. I will definitely let you know if I find anything...

I know, it looks like madison is filled up, but I think if you check the website madisontowers.net, there are people who need roomates at madison! thats what I might do.

Hey everyone,

Hey, I just gave up my apt at Madison Towers-- so they should have a one bedroom extended available if that's what you would be interested in... you can just call them and ask about it- i believe it was apt number 715

Hey, I just gave up my apt at Madison Towers-- so they should have a one bedroom extended available if that's what you would be interested in... you can just call them and ask about it- i believe it was apt number 715
it actually wouldn't be availabe, b/c they have a waiting list, so unless ur on the waiting list, you wouldn't get it

it actually wouldn't be availabe, b/c they have a waiting list, so unless ur on the waiting list, you wouldn't get it

Oh ok, whoops-- i had no idea...my bad-- just tried to be helpful.

Hey everyone,

I am attending Upstate in the fall. I am in the process of reserving a two bedroom extended apartment in Madison for August. I still need a second roommate. If you're interested, let me know!

p.s. I will be bringing a cat

Hey everyone,

I am attending Upstate in the fall. I am in the process of reserving a two bedroom extended apartment in Madison for August. I still need a second roommate. If you're interested, let me know!

p.s. I will be bringing a cat
By the same token, I'm going to be an MS3 and my roommate's moving out of our townhouse at Madison. Like ams295, I've got cats (two) but if you're interested, PM me.

Is there an official housing site/list for only upstate medical students?

for roomates*

Is there an official housing site/list for only upstate medical students?

for roomates*
No, there isn't. OrangeHousing and craigslist can help a bit but as far as I know, otherwise it's by word of mouth.

Does anyone know when orientation and/or classes start? I'm trying to figure out when I should start driving across the country. :eek:

Does anyone know when orientation and/or classes start? I'm trying to figure out when I should start driving across the country. :eek:

I think orientation starts Aug 23rd. On the website it says they'll post all orientation information on June 15th on the accepted student site.

I really wish that they would let us know what is going on before June 15th. Im very excited to get started :) .

I just found an apartment, and I think that it has me excited to move to Syracuse and start school. I know that I should enjoy the free time, but the anticipation is killing me :).

How are everyone elses house/apartment hunts going?

Where is everyone else from? Im from Binghamton New York which isnt too far away (just an hour). It was still kind of annoying driving back and forth over the past two weeks while I was looking at apartments.

I recently found an apartment/roommate too. :) I'm from Portland, OR, but am living in Seattle right now.

i'm from nyc. still looking for an apartment/ roomate. this is rough. where/how did u guys find apartments?

Hi, I'm still looking too . . . On the waitlists at both Madison and Jefferson and haven't heard back about my application to Clark . . . hoping to get a studio/one bedroom somewhere. Has anyone heard from the Clark staff about rooms for the fall?

BTW, I'm from San Francisco. Hard to tell what's good from here - any insider info on Non- Madison/Jefferson/Clark apartments would be much appreciated:)