~~~::::::::::SUNY- Stony Brook Class of 2011::::::::::~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who's going to pre-orientation on June 15th? Do people usually bring family members along?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly goes on at pre-orientation?

Anyone start looking for or already find housing?

Pre-orientation is where they will give you a little more details about stuff like financial aid, housing, what to expect first semester, what you should be doing over the summer (partying), things like that. It's similar to the second look except now the things they telll you assumes that you're going to be a student here. I don't remember anyone bringing a family member to the pre-orientation. You will have a white coat ceremony in August where you can bring your family. You'll be sitting through lectures most of the day so it won't be all that interesting for your family. They'll probably take you to the president's house. It's pretty nice, there's a beach in the back. It's a good chance to meet your classmates and possibly a future roomate. At pre-orientation, they will give you a list of apartments and a list of people looking for roomates. It will probably make the search a lot easier. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I recently gave up my state school acceptances in favor of SB, but since I waited till May 15th, the housing office says I can't put down deposits for on campus housing, which will be a real problem since I won't have a car...

Any ideas on what to do? Which apartments are within biking/running distance of the med school?

Sooooo waitlisters can't get campus housing?? if so then I'm in the same boat :laugh:

If you prefer Macs to PCs then get a Mac. You won't run into too many issues with compatability, and if you do, you can always dual boot windows or run an emulator.

If you prefer PCs, no reason not to get one.

2 questions -

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

I'm looking to get a new computer and don't know whether to get a PC or Mac. Is one better than the other as far as compatibility with the school's server?

The white coat ceremony was on the first day of orientation last year. I agree with Muncher. There are a lot of people in the class with Macs, I don't think it would be a problem not to have a PC. According to the tech guy, "every year the class is getting smarter and smarter because more people have macs."

Can med students use the gym at the undergrad campus, and if so, is there a fee? I seem to recall there being a small gym at the HSC as well, but I may be thinking of another school. What about gyms in the community? I've gotten into the habit of running and really want to keep it up during med school.

Also, has anyone gotten health forms in the mail yet?

Can med students use the gym at the undergrad campus, and if so, is there a fee? I seem to recall there being a small gym at the HSC as well, but I may be thinking of another school. What about gyms in the community? I've gotten into the habit of running and really want to keep it up during med school.

Also, has anyone gotten health forms in the mail yet?

Yes, med students can use the gym at the undergrad campus. I'm not sure about the fee but I don't think there is one. I use a gym in my neighborhood. It's $200 for the year. From what I hear, the undergrads use the gym alot so it gets very crowded. There is no gym in HSC.

Have they sent out health forms yet>?

How about fin aid stuff? I filled out all their forms and have yet to receive any financial package.

WT, I haven't gotten the health forms yet either. As for fin aid package, our packet with the fin aid forms says they should be ready sometime in June.

I was going to go to the preorientation this weekend to meet you guys and hopefully find roommates, but I ended up sustaining a trimalleolar fracture of my right ankle while skimboarding last Saturday. Hopefully I'll be good to go when class starts in August. My name is on the Housing list that will be passed out by Ms. Agnetti. I am a normal sports watching, beer drinking 24 yr old male. Please call me if you are also looking for roommates!! Thanks.

-Mitch

I was going to go to the preorientation this weekend to meet you guys and hopefully find roommates, but I ended up sustaining a trimalleolar fracture of my right ankle while skimboarding last Saturday. Hopefully I'll be good to go when class starts in August. My name is on the Housing list that will be passed out by Ms. Agnetti. I am a normal sports watching, beer drinking 24 yr old male. Please call me if you are also looking for roommates!! Thanks.

-Mitch

On the same token, I won't be attending either due to work.

My name's also on the Housing list, I'm also normal and 24.

What's skimboarding?

On the same token, I won't be attending either due to work.

My name's also on the Housing list, I'm also normal and 24.

What's skimboarding?

i'm a normal beer drinking girl..who wouldnt mind living with a beer drinking normal guy...

but i can't live with a mets fan...ha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I am new to SDN. I just got off the wait list at SBU last week and will be attending!!! I am also looking for a roommate. I'm a normal beer drinking guy who is into sports and working out. Hope to see everyone on Friday.

is anyone here interested in trying to get a place within biking/walking distance of classes?

No interest from anyone? I'm not THAT bad to live with.

Anyway, did anyone get the health forms or a financial aid package yet?

I have yet to receive either of those...I'll ask tomorrow

WT, did they tell you anything about the health forms at Pre-Orientation? What else did we (those of us who didn't go) miss? Hope you all had a good time!

just curious, are there any other californians here?

WT, did they tell you anything about the health forms at Pre-Orientation? What else did we (those of us who didn't go) miss? Hope you all had a good time!

Nothing that wasnt already covered at the Revisit Day. Personally I think that while it was nice to meet other students, it wasnt worth taking a day off from work. Anything additional that was covered ( such as housing ) could have been sent to us in the mail or covered during the orientation week.

hey guys!
congrats on chosing stony brook! it really is a great place. I just finished my first year and I had a wild time this year.

If there are any female's looking for housing please contact me. I'm moving out of my house in Lake Grove which is about a 7-10 minute drive to campus (with traffic, it's much less without traffic). it's a nice quite residential neighborhood. you will be really close to EVERYTHING, the mall, the movie theater, supermarkets, ect. The house is a three bedroom ranch house that you will be sharing with 2 third year female medical students (who are tons of fun but won't be around too much during the year so you'll have the house to your self a lot). The room is the biggest room in the house (it's the master bedroom) with it's own private 1/2 bath. The house includes a washer/dryer, full kitchen, living room, dinning room and a cute little backyard. it's 700/months not including utilities.
please message me if you are interested and we talk about it some more.

good luck to all of you and enjoy your summer!!
gaby

They gave out the health forms.

Also, for most students the financial aid award letters were ready to be picked up.

hey guys, is there a class listserve in place or did they mention a future one at the pre-orientation? I'm trying to coordinate a housing search but im all the way out in california and a listserve would definitely come in handy

hey guys, is there a class listserve in place or did they mention a future one at the pre-orientation? I'm trying to coordinate a housing search but im all the way out in california and a listserve would definitely come in handy

You should have received a list of students that are looking for housing. This is probably better than a general listserv. If you did not receive it then you should email the admissions office.

just got it today, thanks. took a little while cuz im out in cali =/

lol, Thanks. Yeah, we actually ended up doing several takes, so I think I might have hit my lettuce quota for the next few weeks.

Speaking of lettuce, has anyone here found an apartment already? I'm wondering where (what streets/areas?) most people live off campus..

lol, Thanks. Yeah, we actually ended up doing several takes, so I think I might have hit my lettuce quota for the next few weeks.

Speaking of lettuce, has anyone here found an apartment already? I'm wondering where (what streets/areas?) most people live off campus..

explain that correlation between lettuce and apartments...interesting.....

find an apt soon. the good ones are going quick!

explain that correlation between lettuce and apartments...interesting.....

find an apt soon. the good ones are going quick!

no correlation, just joking - but i think you knew that :)

for a little background: my friend is thinking of majoring in film directing, and we both liked the random humor behind the original vid on SNL.. so we figured we'd just reshoot it for fun.

thanks for the reply sam

Was anyone considering between Downstate and Stony Brook?
I got off the Stony Brook waitlist this week and am totally psyched, as it was my first-choice school. But since I settled on going to Downstate for most of this year, I'm having second thoughts. :oops:
Did I miss anything from that pre-orientation in June? Also, what's this I hear about the block exams all taking place at the same time? Is it hard to find housing? I would be grateful for any replies!

Was anyone considering between Downstate and Stony Brook?
I got off the Stony Brook waitlist this week and am totally psyched, as it was my first-choice school. But since I settled on going to Downstate for most of this year, I'm having second thoughts. :oops:
Did I miss anything from that pre-orientation in June? Also, what's this I hear about the block exams all taking place at the same time? Is it hard to find housing? I would be grateful for any replies!

I just finished 1st year so I can only comment on that. During the 1st semester you will have biochem and anatomy within a day of each other but you will get 2 study days plus the weekend to study for your exams. After 1 semester you take only one major course at a time (you will have foundations of medical practice throught the year but it is very manageable). During second year you'll have block exams but they are not going to give you more than you can handle if that's what you are worried about. You'll get through it. You didn't miss anything by not attending the preorientation that you can't really read on the school's website or the package they send you. If you're really worried you can arrange a trip to SB, there are plenty of students at SB during the summer that would be willing show you around again. As for housing, it's still pretty early, you'll definately find good housing just start looking right away. Get the list of available apartments and students looking for roomates from the admissions office. If you have any other questions, just ask. Whatever you decide, you'll be just fine. :luck:

Hey All!

Another first year and myself are looking for a 3rd roommate to fill the last spot in a house. We estimate rent to be a little over $600 per person INCLUDING utilities & heat. The house is a part of a nice development community with 2 pools, tennis courts, gym, and clubhouse with pool and ping pong tables that is about 4 miles away from the school in Coram.

We are easy-going, clean, and considerate people and hope you possess these qualities as well =)

OK, now the really important stuff:
These places go like hot cakes and this place in particular has a ridiculous application process. We have to go in as a group and fill out the application and once we are approved, we have to go in again to sign the lease. That means you need to be able to make it to Stony Brook on July 6th to fill out the application and make it back again to sign the lease. They expect 2 month's rent up front and another month's rent as security. Anyone who is interested please send a private message to me. I will be going on vacation tomorrow so forgive me if I am slow to respond. Here are some pictures that we took: http://www.possiblycool.com/stony

In summary, very nice place for relatively cheap. Must act fast.

Just found out on July 3rd. Is anybody still trying to find places to live and people to live with? I've been looking at places through the list that was provided to me by the admissions office and the students on the other list, but I figured that this would be a good place to try first. I'm not on that list, yet but I soon will be. I'm ready to collaborate and assist in the process as best as my up-north, mainer self can. Peace, Chris

hey has anyone from out of state requested a budget revision form to take into account out of state tuition in their financial aid packages?

If so please message me, I am not sure what to do with this - just add in the difference between out of state and in state tuition or is there something other than tuition that we need to take into account?

Need 4th roommate for a great 4 bedroom house complete with everything (10 min drive to SB). We need to act fast, pm me.

I am selling a Malber WD1000 washer/dryer combo unit if anyone is interested. I am in Brooklyn until I move in in August but arrangments can be made for delivery to SB. The unit is one piece that both washes and dries and works on 110V electric, hooks up to a standard faucet and has wheels. PM me if interested.

Hey, does anyone have the address to the admissions office? Meaning, I want to send a package to the office and I am not sure what to enter in (online) as the address. Is there a street number? Thanks.

Just droppin' by to say hi. I'll be joining you all at Stony Brook. See you in August!

We're starting so soon! Does anyone know how/when we're getting our tuition bill?

We're starting so soon! Does anyone know how/when we're getting our tuition bill?

I think they said the loan moneys become available on the first day of class (Aug 27). Not sure about the billing part of that.

Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of laptop to get? What does our laptop need in order to get connected to the SB internet? I forget what that info sheet said...

Any current SB students want to shed some light on what our typical class schedule (how long in class each day of the week) is going to be like in Year 1?

I think they said the loan moneys become available on the first day of class (Aug 27). Not sure about the billing part of that.

Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of laptop to get? What does our laptop need in order to get connected to the SB internet? I forget what that info sheet said...

Any current SB students want to shed some light on what our typical class schedule (how long in class each day of the week) is going to be like in Year 1?

Try this: https://cbase.som.sunysb.edu/conet/calendar/stud_mainFrame.cfm?CFID=143122&CFTOKEN=23211778

Also, does anyone know how many people can come to the white coat ceremony?

I never received a bill for my tuition. My loan money goes to the school and they take out the tuition and I received what's left. It's probably the same for most people so you may not receive a bill. For your own peace of mind you may want to call the financial aid office.

For people yet to buy a computer - some companies (Dell, Apple) offer a student discount so you may want to take a advantage.

For anyone else who was wondering, our tuition fee is updated in our SOLAR accounts. You can also waive the health insurance online if you have your own health plan.

Are we supposed to complete the HIPAA training on CBASE or wait until school starts?

Are we supposed to complete the HIPAA training on CBASE or wait until school starts?

Glad to know I'm not the only one already looking this stuff over! I think they'll tell us to do this once school starts.

Glad to know I'm not the only one already looking this stuff over! I think they'll tell us to do this once school starts.

My unsolicited advice - try and have as much fun in the coming week as you possibly can. Be ready to hit the ground running on Aug. 27th. Don't worry too much about the stuff on C-Base unless the admissions office told you to take care of it. If you really wanted to do something, the HIPPA training is something you could take care of ahead of time. You're proabably not going to want to do it once school starts.