-= SUNY Downstate Class of 2012 =-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a west-coast native, now Downstate MS1. I live off campus (recommended! and necessary to earn state residency) and my neighborhood has plenty of parking. This was sort of a surprise to me; I thought I'd have to get rid of my car moving to New York. Street parking at school is really hard because of street sweeping hours, but there are parking lots some students pay to use. Not sure the cost/convenience of these; I don't drive to school, mainly because I'm a cheapass. I'll probably ditch the car after this summer.

I really love this place. It's not for everyone, but it's a great fit for me. Downstate's no-frills, to be sure, but thats part of why i love it. Shiny expensive facilities make me feel a little out of place, honestly. I know some people relate to that.

I do miss the Bay Area, but if there's a place I have to be, Brooklyn's around the top of the short list. If you're a town mouse, it's one of the coolest places to live in the country, hands down.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you live in? I'm bringing my car and I'm trying to find a safe, not too expensive area to rent an apartment: preferably in a place where I don't need to drive my car to school.

Honestly, you sound a lot like me a year ago. I grew up in Queens and really didn't like the idea of living in Brooklyn. I also really didn't want to have to leave my car at my parents house (because really its not practical to have it around here). Ultimately though, I think this sort of stuff I've just adapted to. I thought it would affect my life much, much more than it actually does. Whenever I want to use my car, my parents just pick me up and bring me home (and I know folks on the island who just take the train to atlantic ave. and take the LIRR from there). As far as the area goes, it isn't the best, but the truth is unless you're walking around at 2AM (which there's no reason to since the shuttle will take you anywhere around here 24hrs/day) you'll almost certainly have no problems - or at least I haven't and nobody I know has.

As far as the comments go, keep in mind that those are taken at the beginning of the first year and before any of us have any experience with getting to know DS. I can honestly tell you that virtually all of my friends are very happy with the decision they made. That being said, if you still want to look them over (there are plenty of positive reasons too), the website is at http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/comments/index.html

If you really are on the fence, one of the best things you can do to make your decision is to come one day and shadow-a-student and get an idea for how we live. If you want to do that, just e-mail Ilana Levine and she'll set it up (and if you'd like to shadow me, just PM me and I'll give you my info so you can let Ilana know).

Hope this helps your decision and either way congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:
Soggun,

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know that others have felt similarly to how I'm feeling right now. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just sucking it up and going there.

I can't really come shadow a current student since I live in Houston, TX right now (long story) and I can't really take any random days off of work. But I do know a kid who is an M3 there who went to my high school, I might try to look him up and see if he can tell me anything I haven't heard already.

But it's nice to know about the car thing, too. I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind picking me up (I grew up right near the border of Queens). Btw, where did you grow up? I lived in Astoria for a little bit. (I'm a few yrs out of college).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you live in? I'm bringing my car and I'm trying to find a safe, not too expensive area to rent an apartment: preferably in a place where I don't need to drive my car to school.

I live in north Bed-Stuy. It's great for me (I like being able to bike to Manhattan), but it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Check the great earlier post by fuzzball about neighborhoods west of school on the B35 bus. Victorian Flatbush, Ditmas Park, out to Sunset Park as well, are great and undervalued neighborhoods.

I live in north Bed-Stuy. It's great for me (I like being able to bike to Manhattan), but it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Check the great earlier post by fuzzball about neighborhoods west of school on the B35 bus. Victorian Flatbush, Ditmas Park, out to Sunset Park as well, are great and undervalued neighborhoods.

Great, thx! Will do. I'm really stressing about finding an apartment with 2 dogs, in a good neighborhood, while I'm 3000 miles away.

Great, thx! Will do. I'm really stressing about finding an apartment with 2 dogs, in a good neighborhood, while I'm 3000 miles away.
That's awesome that you have dogs. I actually wanted to get a dog and bring it with me to med school, but I'm not sure I'l have enough time to take care of it. What kind of dogs do you have?

That's awesome that you have dogs. I actually wanted to get a dog and bring it with me to med school, but I'm not sure I'l have enough time to take care of it. What kind of dogs do you have?

I grew up in Forest Hills, though I went out of state for college. Having dogs in med school can work if you're dilligent enough, I mean they require a lot less attention than kids and there are folks in our class with them (one actually has 5 kids... but I'm convinced she's superwoman.)

Luckily I have a beagle and a pom. They're both pretty small, well the beagle's kinda fat but still considered "small". I keep checking on craigslist and quite a few places allow for small dogs which is sort of a relief. But right now they are spoiled. They have a doggy door where they go in and out to my backyard as they please. I'm extremely concerned about what's going to happen when they have to be re-trained to only do their business when I take them out on walks. So there's another problem: I need to find some place with a yard or park nearby. I don't suggest getting a dog if you're going to DS. I'm stressing about the added time & maintenance.

soggun, actually its 6 kids and I feel the same way

(one actually has 5 kids... but I'm convinced she's superwoman.)[/quote]

Soggun,

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know that others have felt similarly to how I'm feeling right now. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just sucking it up and going there.

I can't really come shadow a current student since I live in Houston, TX right now (long story) and I can't really take any random days off of work. But I do know a kid who is an M3 there who went to my high school, I might try to look him up and see if he can tell me anything I haven't heard already.

But it's nice to know about the car thing, too. I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind picking me up (I grew up right near the border of Queens). Btw, where did you grow up? I lived in Astoria for a little bit. (I'm a few yrs out of college).

just want to say it's not really sucking it up because this place is really good. i had a tough decision to make and i chose downstate and i dont regret it for a minute and neither will you. and i dont work for the admissions committee although i shoudl get some type of tuition break for this...

just want to say it's not really sucking it up because this place is really good. i had a tough decision to make and i chose downstate and i dont regret it for a minute and neither will you. and i dont work for the admissions committee although i shoudl get some type of tuition break for this...
I shouldn't have said "sucking it up", that sounds much worse than what I meant. I just didn't get the most warm and fuzzy feeling when I was interviewed there (actually my interview went HORRIBLY, and the woman was like 80+ years old! No, she was NOT a 'nice old grandma'-type). And I didn't absolutely love the tour either, or the surrounding area. But time and time again, I hear about how much people love going there (and the kids that talked to us there said they love going there too). I guess what I would love to know, garoldee, is why exactly is everyone in love with going there? And please don't tell me "great clinical experience" because I already know that is true, and I've heard that 100x before.

Thanks for any and all help. I'll take everything I can get, since it will ultimately help me with a very important decision.

**On a side note, I know that May 15th is fast approaching and that means people have to give up all but one of their acceptances, if they have multiple. To current medical students: Do you get into any sort of 'trouble' if you hold on to two of the acceptances instead of just one? Are there any consequences to doing this? I had heard that somebody will call you if you do this, but I'm not sure if this is just hear-say. Thanks in advance for any comments on this!**

I shouldn't have said "sucking it up", that sounds much worse than what I meant. I just didn't get the most warm and fuzzy feeling when I was interviewed there (actually my interview went HORRIBLY, and the woman was like 80+ years old! No, she was NOT a 'nice old grandma'-type). And I didn't absolutely love the tour either, or the surrounding area. But time and time again, I hear about how much people love going there (and the kids that talked to us there said they love going there too). I guess what I would love to know, garoldee, is why exactly is everyone in love with going there? And please don't tell me "great clinical experience" because I already know that is true, and I've heard that 100x before.

Thanks for any and all help. I'll take everything I can get, since it will ultimately help me with a very important decision.

**On a side note, I know that May 15th is fast approaching and that means people have to give up all but one of their acceptances, if they have multiple. To current medical students: Do you get into any sort of 'trouble' if you hold on to two of the acceptances instead of just one? Are there any consequences to doing this? I had heard that somebody will call you if you do this, but I'm not sure if this is just hear-say. Thanks in advance for any comments on this!**

I always heard that the May 15th date is there to protect both students and schools. So, what I had heard is that schools can rescind your acceptance or demand full tuition to keep your spot, or anything else they want to after the May 15th date if you haven't limited yourself to one school. Obviously you can keep yourself on waitlists, but I would just avoid any possible hassle and pick between the schools youve already been accepted to ahead of time (and probably come up with a plan of what schools your waitlisted at that youd go to ahead of your May 15th choice.)

Anyway, that was all hearsay cause I really don't know anything about it for sure. With regard to DS, I don't know what to tell you. I feel like I have a great class that isn't at all as gunnerish as I was expecting (most people are actually really supportive and willing to help classmates). Also, I mean I know the clinical experience is really harped on, but it really is a big deal that I feel like DS will prepare me better than most other schools could.

Ultimately though, it's your choice and it's going to be whatever fits best for you. Just don't freak out - chances are you'll be happy enough regardless of your choice (though I know it may not seem like that now).

i think what I like the best about DS is my class. pretty much everyone is very relaxed and we all get along well. this is not the case at other places and this is a fact. friends at several places in nyc say they only associate with a few select people in their class because they cant stand a lot of people and these are not not nice or unsociable people. it's also nice to not pay so much tuition and still know you'll be in a good place at the end of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wrote to someone else about various neighborhoods. Should have kept a copy of what I wrote. Basically, if you are just you coming alone with no kids, car, dogs, spouse / partner, I recommended following the 2, 5 train up through a bunch of different neighborhoods. My personal recommendation would be Prospect Heights for the carless person. Of course, the other option is to just garage the car, but that gets pricey (like $300 / month + insurance?)

But you have a different set of circumstances. If you want to keep the car (and not pay extra), it would be annoying to live in Prospect Heights or any of the neighborhoods that follow the 2,5 trains. (Though people do--it's a hassle many live with). Street parking there is just a bear. The dogs would love being near Prospect Park (and so would you)--the Long Meadow is a field of dogs before 9am, during off-leash hours--that beagle would be overcome with joy, run crazy, and drop a few pounds. So, I'd look on the south, east, and southwest side of the park and then commute via bus or bike instead of train. I, too have a car and I intend to leave it home (where I have okay parking) and ride a bike to Downstate. I'm in Windsor Terrace / Kensington and very near the Parade Grounds and Prospect Park.

In the less hip areas you may even get lucky with a garden apartment. My neighbor has the perfect rental for you, but unfortunately, it's rented.

And typically, NY is very animal friendly.

This is probably not that helpful to you. I keep thinking that if I were you, I'd still want to live in Prospect Heights (near Grand Army Plaza) just so I could take my dogs to the park every morning. If the car was important to me, I'd probably pay for a garage spot and still have the convenience of the train commute. (And then, after a year of not using it, I'd sell it). But I don't know if that's feasible. It does get expensive. So, you have to prioritize and whittle it back from there.

And yeah, Craig's List is the place to look. Be prepared to jump quickly when you find something.

Luckily I have a beagle and a pom. They're both pretty small, well the beagle's kinda fat but still considered "small". I keep checking on craigslist and quite a few places allow for small dogs which is sort of a relief. But right now they are spoiled. They have a doggy door where they go in and out to my backyard as they please. I'm extremely concerned about what's going to happen when they have to be re-trained to only do their business when I take them out on walks. So there's another problem: I need to find some place with a yard or park nearby. I don't suggest getting a dog if you're going to DS. I'm stressing about the added time & maintenance.

I shadowed a student on Thursday and it was pretty refreshing because I could barely remember anything from my interview day, just that the neighborhood was scary. I liked the atmosphere. The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of a simulaton lab. Its not too important but practicing on real patients seems sort of frightening. I also drove all around brooklyn from Brooklyn Heights to Greenpointe to Marine Park to Bay Ridge and yes it took FOREVER!!!. Anyway my husband works in golf and he's going to try to transfer to Dyker Beach so hopefully I'll be living somewhere north of the golf course. The commute time is probably 30 minutes on a good day and I think I'll be driving and parking for $4 a day. I finally getting excited about starting medical school. It took 4 months for me to be ok about leaving CA for NYC but I realized its going to fly by and I will learn so much outside of medical school too.

FYI folks. I called the financial aid office today to ask when I might expect the letter. The lady over the phone said mid-April.Soggun/garoldee/sonofschmilsson: Did you guys get any free money from Downstate? Is it too much to expect from a state school? Thanks.

FYI folks. I called the financial aid office today to ask when I might expect the letter. The lady over the phone said mid-April.Soggun/garoldee/sonofschmilsson: Did you guys get any free money from Downstate? Is it too much to expect from a state school? Thanks.

Nope. Don't know of anyone who got money beyond the standard set of loans either (though I don't typically discuss my friends finances in any kind of detail).

Hey emquiksilver, I'm pretty sure I'm the person you shadowed judging from your previous posts. I'm just not on here much. I got $550 in TAP, which is the max. The only other 'free money' available that i know of is the scholarship for disadvantaged students. There are some other 'scholarships' I've never heard of before, and no information is available about them on the web.

http://sls.downstate.edu/financial_aid/assistance/scholarships.html

Hi MS1 folks. Are exams generally multiple choice? And how do the professors generally feel about having previous exams available for review?

If there are any current students that can answer my question, I would really appreciate it!!!
Does SUNY DS let you do away rotations during your 3rd and 4th year? I'd like to do some in California...

Nope. Don't know of anyone who got money beyond the standard set of loans either (though I don't typically discuss my friends finances in any kind of detail).

Thanks.

Hey emquiksilver, I'm pretty sure I'm the person you shadowed judging from your previous posts. I'm just not on here much. I got $550 in TAP, which is the max. The only other 'free money' available that i know of is the scholarship for disadvantaged students. There are some other 'scholarships' I've never heard of before, and no information is available about them on the web.

http://sls.downstate.edu/financial_aid/assistance/scholarships.html

Thanks for the shadow. It was a good experience. I've checked out that website already. Not a whole lot of info and resources sadly. Thanks though.

Hi MS1 folks. Are exams generally multiple choice? And how do the professors generally feel about having previous exams available for review?

Almost all the exams are completely multiple choice (exceptions are the ECM exams - which are still mostly multiple choice with some short answers and clinical vignettes - and the urinary quizzes - again, still mostly multiple choice). The neuro stuff might be non-multiple choice but I have no idea as we haven't done that block yet.

Also, Kfire is right about the TAP $550... I had forgotten about that, but I think that's just about it.

psych - Don't know about the away rotations thing, but I think that's a policy most schools have as long as you can set it up. Hope a 3rd or 4th year (or more aware 1st year) is reading this and can help you further.

Everything soggun said is true. Also, professors for all of the blocks will definitely give you sample questions, but not old exams (exception: one quiz for urinary for which you WILL get old quizzes). There are tons of sample questions (I'd estimate 75-200+, depending on the block), and many of my classmates will agree that the questions ARE representative (in both style and difficulty) of the actual exams. ECM won't always give you many sample questions, but they will give you a few here and there in class. Also, on our last ECM exam they gave us 5 vignettes and told us that 2 of them will appear (identically) on the exam, which they did.

If there are any current students that can answer my question, I would really appreciate it!!!
Does SUNY DS let you do away rotations during your 3rd and 4th year? I'd like to do some in California...

As far as I know you can go away for rotations during your 4th year (i'm pretty sure it's like that at most schools)... as far as where you can go, I'm not sure.. you may want to call the office of medical education: 718 270-2075. If they can't help, I'd ask Ilana Levine for more direction.

Thxso much Soggun and Kfire! I think I'll call to make sure.

Hey all,

Does anyone know how hard it is to be able to defer? I'm thinking about deferring to Downstate (or UMiami maybe?) and just staying in TX another year and applying to TX schools next year. I just love my job...and TX...and the thought of leaving this summer makes me really depressed. I don't know how the deferring process works though, or if it's a totally dumb idea to wait a whole other year to reapply. Especially because I DID get in to a couple of schools, Downstate being one of them.

Hey all,

Does anyone know how hard it is to be able to defer? I'm thinking about deferring to Downstate (or UMiami maybe?) and just staying in TX another year and applying to TX schools next year. I just love my job...and TX...and the thought of leaving this summer makes me really depressed. I don't know how the deferring process works though, or if it's a totally dumb idea to wait a whole other year to reapply. Especially because I DID get in to a couple of schools, Downstate being one of them.

Ok, well outright deferment I'm not sure about. I know that DS is very good about letting people take a year off for whatever reason between 1st and 2nd year or 2nd and 3rd year and also know of several people in my class who went on a leave of absence after a month or two and will come back next year.

My advice is just to contact the admissions office and ask about it. They're very helpful and will point you in the right direction. Besides, if that's what you want to do, can't hurt to ask.

edit: Didn't read the part about you wanting to apply to TX schools... I can't really see why DS would let you defer (and keep your spot for next years class) if you're going to go out and apply again elsewhere. My guess is, if you defer you'll have to commit to DS... If you don't, there's really very little incentive for DS to hold your spot.

Yah sometimes I really want to defer too. I'm graduating in May, have a lot of school loans from undergrad and would really like to work for a year to pay some of the high interest debt off. I'm also really poor right now and I have no idea how I will be able to afford moving costs. :eek:
Plus all the apartments in NY as f-ing crazy. Some want 1st month, last month, the deposit and a broker's fee!!! How is that going to happen??? I have no $$$ :(
Let me know if you find out anything about deferring because I'm also interested. However if they would be so kind to let me defer I would DEFINITELY matriculate the following year.

From Downstate's website:

Accepted applicants may request a deferral for up to one year in order to participate in educational activities or social service projects. Requests must be made in writing and submitted to the Co-Chair of the College of Medicine Admissions Committee by May 1, 2008. No extensions beyond one year are permitted. All deferred applicants are required to file an "Early Decision/Delayed Matriculation" application for the following year.

I think the part about "delayed matriculation" says a lot.

Yes, I see what you're saying. And I don't want to be dishonest to them, you know? Like I was talking to a friend of mine who said "just tell them you commit to going there, and that you just want another year to work in your research job, and if you get into a different school, then just don't go to DS." But that wouldn't really be fair to them. May 1st deadline...that's not that far away. I just don't know if it's even a good idea for me to delay. I mean, I'm already 24 (I know , I know, not THAT old) and if I wait another year to matriculate, that means I'll be...25! A quarter of a century old. hmmph. I just don't know what to do, to be honest.

Thanks for everyone's help with the deferring issue. I will call admissions and chat with Ms. Levine, just to sort everything out.

Yes, I see what you're saying. And I don't want to be dishonest to them, you know? Like I was talking to a friend of mine who said "just tell them you commit to going there, and that you just want another year to work in your research job, and if you get into a different school, then just don't go to DS." But that wouldn't really be fair to them. May 1st deadline...that's not that far away. I just don't know if it's even a good idea for me to delay. I mean, I'm already 24 (I know , I know, not THAT old) and if I wait another year to matriculate, that means I'll be...25! A quarter of a century old. hmmph. I just don't know what to do, to be honest.

Thanks for everyone's help with the deferring issue. I will call admissions and chat with Ms. Levine, just to sort everything out.

Fairness aside, I HIGHLY doubt that any school would put themselves in a position of being toyed with. So if they do grant you a deferral and you do tell them you'll be here next year, then you don't show up, I would assume there'll be a financial penalty (probly something like 1 year tuition). I'm not sure about any of this, but look into it. I'm assuming you don't want to throw away 19,000 dollars.

Yah sometimes I really want to defer too. I'm graduating in May, have a lot of school loans from undergrad and would really like to work for a year to pay some of the high interest debt off. I'm also really poor right now and I have no idea how I will be able to afford moving costs. :eek:
Plus all the apartments in NY as f-ing crazy. Some want 1st month, last month, the deposit and a broker's fee!!! How is that going to happen??? I have no $$$ :(
Let me know if you find out anything about deferring because I'm also interested. However if they would be so kind to let me defer I would DEFINITELY matriculate the following year.

Apartments in most of NYC (=manhattan) are virtually untouchable for the majority of us. Look on craigslist.com for apartments for rent by owner to avoid broker fees. I know there are some apartments in Ridgewood that my sister was looking into.

I am an MS1 and president of the Jewish society at Downstate. If you have any downstate related questions feel free to send me a private message. I am average student as best so you will be getting very relevant and down to earth answers.I just wanted to answer some the parking question for those who are interested. Here are your options

1) Buy daily parking tickets for 4 dollars a piece for downstate fenced in lot 1 blocks from school. You need to buy the tickets every week and they are only sold at 9:30 at thursday mornings. You will need to wait on a line since they are sold only once a week
2) Buy a monthly space in a parking lot. Currently I am spending 100 dollars for a month for space in new lot that is across the street from the school on clarkson. It is open 24 hours and you enter the lot by using a clicker to raise the EZ pass like gate. It has security cameras in the front of the lot and security has not been an issue so far.
3) park on the street- Every street near downstate has alternate side parking so if you dont mind missing class you can show up 20 minute before the restrictions end and sit in your car till it is legal to park in the space. I have a friend who does this daily and he doesnt mind it.

best of luck,
dave

I've just been accepted! :)

I was curious if anyone knows how often the adcom meets? I have a friend who interviewed the week after I did, so I'm trying to figure out for him if he should be hearing this week or later.

Thanks!

I've just been accepted! :)

I was curious if anyone knows how often the adcom meets? I have a friend who interviewed the week after I did, so I'm trying to figure out for him if he should be hearing this week or later.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly from last year folks were saying it was every month or so... might be 2 weeks, though. Either way, if he wasn't reviewed the same time as you, I would expect it to be more than week. I speak with absolutely no extra insight into this though, so who knows...

Either way, congrats to you! :thumbup: If you have any questions about the school feel free to post and me and the some of the other first years will try to answer them for you.

Sunkisst30--When did you interview? I interviewed 2/20/08 (8 weeks ago) and have not yet heard back. Anyone on a similar timeline? Thanks.

I interviewed the last week of January and my friend interviewed the first week of January. If this helps, my letter was postmarked April 9.

:luck::luck::luck: to everyone still waiting to hear and congratulations to everyone accepted!

Just wondering if someone might be able to tell me when orientation begins, as well as classes. Im out of the country and can't go searching their website for hours. Thanks

Just wondering if someone might be able to tell me when orientation begins, as well as classes. Im out of the country and can't go searching their website for hours. Thanks

Classes start on August 18th, orientation I believe starts August 11th, which means move-in to the residence halls would be on Aug. 10.

Classes start on August 18th, orientation I believe starts August 11th, which means move-in to the residence halls would be on Aug. 10.

Yep - that's accurate. And as for move-in, there will be many, many people available and ready to help you move your stuff in (I remember being amazed last year by how little I actually had to move myself), so don't worry too much about it - it's a really stress-free experience.

So, I'm an in-state resident, and was therefore thinking about living in the dorms for convenience sake. However, I feel as if at this point in my life, I am done with dorm style living. What are the chances that I can get a place with a kitchen, either a 2 bedroom, or a 1 bedroom, or single studio. I'm kinda worried that I won't and don't think I can deal with living in normal dorms again. whats the set-up? Is there a communal kitchen? How have people felt about regressing back toward freshman year college dorm living?

So, I'm an in-state resident, and was therefore thinking about living in the dorms for convenience sake. However, I feel as if at this point in my life, I am done with dorm style living. What are the chances that I can get a place with a kitchen, either a 2 bedroom, or a 1 bedroom, or single studio. I'm kinda worried that I won't and don't think I can deal with living in normal dorms again. whats the set-up? Is there a communal kitchen? How have people felt about regressing back toward freshman year college dorm living?

I was feeling 100% like you last year. Basically the way it works is that there are many options including sharing a bathroom with the whole floor or with just your neighbors, or with someone in another room in your apartment, or with no one (if you have a studio or standard single on most floors). Housing says that one-bedroom apartments are not for first year students, so its not an option on the form you will receive. When I visited, however, I was told to write it in and I might have a shot. Lo and behold, after checking off studio single, standard single, and writing in and checking off a one-bedroom apartment, I got the apartment...

As far as the apartments go, this room is bigger than any I've had in my life (including growing up) and there is definitely enough space for just about anyone. I share a kitchen and bathroom with my roomate but it's never an issue as he is a 4th year and on a different schedule from me entirely. Of course, some people (probably most) will be stuck with a roomate - though some choose that option anyway to reduce cost.

Basically, my line of thinking last year was that I would try to get a single (didn't really care what type of room), and if I didn't get it, I would just find alternative housing at that point in time. It may have been difficult to do that so late, but everything worked out for me, so luckily I wasn't faced with that choice. If living in the res halls is at all do-able though, I would certainly make it a priority - the convenience (especially in first year when you'll want to be able to make midnight runs to the anatomy labs or carrels to study) is priceless.

Does anyone know what specific streets students who live in Park Slope or Bed-Stuy tend to live on? I wanted to drive over and check out the neighborhood. And is there parking in Park Slope? Any info anyone can give me would be fantastic!

Does anyone know what specific streets students who live in Park Slope or Bed-Stuy tend to live on? I wanted to drive over and check out the neighborhood. And is there parking in Park Slope? Any info anyone can give me would be fantastic!

My only advice is try to find a place near the 2 or 5 train- this'll make for an easy commute. Students live all over park slope so don't limit your search to any particular street. Obviously as you get closer to the park (8th and 7th aves) rent will be more expensive, pretty much any block is safe enough these days even below 5th ave. You can check out places in brooklyn heights and downtown brooklyn by the bridge as well. good luck!

I'm a first year at Downstate...just bumping this thread. This is a great resource for you guys - you've got a 4th year and a few first years who are future orientation leaders, anatomy tutors, and who are involved in clinical electives available to answer questions about anything and everything.

Ask away!

hey guys!
does anyone know when we find out about our housing assignments in the res hall?

hey guys!
does anyone know when we find out about our housing assignments in the res hall?

I wouldn't expect it til at least mid june. They have to solidify the class first, then get back all the housing requests and work out where everyone will be. if a fellow DSer knows better please correct me, but otherwise i'd expect around mid to late june.

hey guys!

i called housing today and they said they were gonna start sending out housing assignments hopefully on Monday

i called housing today and they said they were gonna start sending out housing assignments hopefully on Monday

Alrighty, well I stand corrected! I guess they are just going to fill in the remaining students as they're accepted. Sorry about that.

Hi, just wondering what the orientation events are like for this year.