-= SUNY Downstate Class of 2012 =-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emquiksilver

MD = Doctor of Masochism
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About time we had our own thread. I'm sure you folks probably have some questions so here's the thread for class of 2011. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=373410

Hope to see you guys in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we talk about housing? Is anyone thinking about the dorms? The double studio room doesn't seem crazy expensive, esp with utilities included and being so close to the school. But I'm not from NYC so I have no idea if living in an apt would be better or worse... It seems that living in the dorms would be simpler (furnished already), more convenient (no commute, no apt hunting), and it would be easier to meet people right away. But I saw one of the standard rooms while I was there for my interview and it wasn't so pretty - twin bed (is this standard for all the rooms?), furniture isn't so great. And there are nicer (though more expensive) areas of Brooklyn to live in, but that would mean more of a commute. Any thoughts?

On my interview day, one of my tour guides said he lives in Manhattan. So his commute is 45 mins to an hour. He's certainly not too fond of the commute, especially on those nights where he stays in the anatomy lab late into the night. But he has his own reasons.

You definitely hit the key advantages of dorming: place already furnished, more convenient, easier to meet people. But it's really up to you to weigh those advantages with the disadvantages, which you also listed. But another disadvantage is that living in the dorms doesn't qualify you for in state tuition the following year if you out of state to begin with. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
But another disadvantage is that living in the dorms doesn't qualify you for in state tuition the following year if you out of state to begin with. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oooh I did not know this. Can anyone confirm? I am OOS so this would be important to know.

Yeah if you want in state tuition after your first year you can't live in the dorms. I'm looking for a place to live right now too. Might also be looking for a roommate.

Yep, I know a few people in my class that got screwed this way. If you're OOS, don't live in the res halls the first year because you can't establish residency that way.....

But, if you are IS, I would highly recommend the res halls. The proximity to the school is truly invaluable. There will be so many nights you will wish you could just drop by the library or the carrels or go to the gym or something and being here is probably one of the best decisions I made. In addition to that, they have some one-bedroom apartments (which really have two bedrooms - 1 for each person - with a common kitchen and bathroom). I think those are great and give some much needed privacy, but either way being here is better than commuting (even from park slope).

Oh, and one other thing. I'd recommend the shadow-a-student program for anyone that hasn't done it. It's a great way to see how an actual day goes for us and what to expect for next year. Anyway, congrats to all of you.

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to be a part of this thread! I will be commuting from Queens, so I'll need to get find monthly parking lot. I remember a thread long time ago mentioning of such paid parking garages, but didn't provide any specific details. Are there a couple to choose from or is there one that most people who drive into the area use? And how close is this garage located to the school building? If there's any current Downstate students out there with the information, it would be great to get the details on how much, the contact info and when I should apply for it. ITA advance!

I'd recommend the shadow-a-student program for anyone that hasn't done it. It's a great way to see how an actual day goes for us and what to expect for next year.

Hi Soggun. Do you recommend any particular day, or conversely have any days you do not recommend? Maybe because of exams and whatnot. Thanks.

Hi Soggun. Do you recommend any particular day, or conversely have any days you do not recommend? Maybe because of exams and whatnot. Thanks.

Well, you can take a look at the schedule at http://prime-clinical.downstate.edu/source/calendar_View.asp?Calendar=131 (or just go to http://ect.downstate.edu and click on First Year Schedule on the bottom of the page). Looking over the next month Feb 21 or 22 is probably good. It kind of depends whether you get someone in group A or B (the class divided into two groups), but the best day to visit is probably one with lectures in the morning, a crossover session in anatomy (lasts half an hour when both A and B go to lab), and a CBL after that.

If you contact the admissions office, Ms. Levine will link you up with one of the students that volunteered to have people shadow them and will give you a date.

Well, you can take a look at the schedule at http://prime-clinical.downstate.edu/source/calendar_View.asp?Calendar=131 (or just go to http://ect.downstate.edu and click on First Year Schedule on the bottom of the page). Looking over the next month Feb 21 or 22 is probably good. It kind of depends whether you get someone in group A or B (the class divided into two groups), but the best day to visit is probably one with lectures in the morning, a crossover session in anatomy (lasts half an hour when both A and B go to lab), and a CBL after that.

If you contact the admissions office, Ms. Levine will link you up with one of the students that volunteered to have people shadow them and will give you a date.
Thanks, Soggun!

Mongmong, if you want me to, I can bring your question to the students I see that day. If anyone else has questions you would like to me ask because you're not in the neighborhood for the shadow-a-student program or something, just post it here.

emquiksilver- That is so kind of you. :) I am thinking about shadowing a student too. Just haven't decided on when. It would still be great if you can ask around when you have the opportunity. I'm going to try to ask the same questions if I do shadow and I'll post up any information that I find.

emquiksilver- That is so kind of you. :) I am thinking about shadowing a student too. Just haven't decided on when. It would still be great if you can ask around when you have the opportunity. I'm going to try to ask the same questions if I do shadow and I'll post up any information that I find.

mongmong - I'm sorry I can't help more with this, but from what I know, most students who commute have buy tickets (which I think are $3-4 a piece) every week - each ticket lasting for 1 day. The lot they park in is about 1 block from the school, but is a fenced outdoor lot that does not have security overnight - and is, thus, an at-your-own-risk lot should you leave it past 9 or 10 PM. There is another garage across the street from both the res. halls and the school which has gone under a lot of construction recently to expand it. As of now, however, I'm pretty sure you pay for that by the semester and there is a very long waitlist to get on it (takes ~2 years). Most students who are on campus get on the waiting list at the beginning of first year so that they can have a car to travel around Brooklyn with while doing rotations during 3rd and 4td year - or at least that's why I'm on the list.

As far as other options go, I've heard a couple of rumors of other lots in the area, but I don't know any specifics about them. I'm pretty sure that these 2 are the only ones that are operated by DS though.

edit - I nearly forgot, I do know a handful of other folks who just park on the street during the day. That doesn't cost anything, but you have to weigh the risks of lack of security (which probably is ok as long as you aren't staying past 10 or 11PM)

Any of you NYC folks looking for CPR classes yet? I've yet to find anything cheaper than $90.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live a little under 2 miles from the campus, due west. I've been here for many years. Everyone always talks about Park Slope, but, great as it is there, it is very expensive (and honestly, the train is not direct, so your commute would be convoluted).

A great up and coming neighborhood (i.e. newish coffee houses, restaurants, wine stores, grocery stores, etc.) is the area along Cortelyou Road, between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue. If I wasn't already settled, I'd live there. Called Ditmas Park, usually. It's the area near the Q train stations at Beverly Road and Cortelyou Road. You still aren't on any direct line to Downstate, but you would be within a very short bike ride distance, or alternately, a short walk and a bus, so your commute would be around 10-15 minutes (about 1 mile). I know some of the Downstate faculty live in that area. Also, the other great thing about that neighborhood is that it is on an excellent subway line, so access to north Park Slope, Prospect Park, and on into Manhattan is easy. In the other direction, you can get to a minor league ballgame in Coney Island (go Cyclones!) in under 20 mins.

There are interesting housing options in that particular area as well. There are old Victorian mansions (not to bum you out, but think Sophie's Choice neighborhood) and some are split into apartments. It is also known as "Victorian Brooklyn" or "Victorian Flatbush". Try a craig's list search for Ditmas Park or Cortelyou Road and you will see prices on rentals.

For more info on the areas I'm talking about, this real estate agent is the local maven--she has some rentals, too: http://www.marykaygallagher.com/

OR if you live anywhere along the B35 bus line (Church Ave) from the West Indian neighborhoods around Downstate and Flatbush to the VERY ethnically mixed neighborhood of Kensington (one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the world, I think) that would be an easy commute--Kensington has a lot to offer (not as cute as Cortelyou, but pleasant, and probably a slightly easier commute since that bus runs every 8 mins.); people who love it tend to blog about it, so you can google it and find lots of blog entries on restaurants, etc.

That's all I've got. I should get a subsidy from the Brooklyn Visitor's Bureau . ;)

Any of you NYC folks looking for CPR classes yet? I've yet to find anything cheaper than $90.
What date do you guys need to be CPR certified by again? I threw out the information. If it's not until summer, i could totally try to set up a class for you for like $30/person for the BLS for healthcare providers. I'm an instructor and have lots of other instructors from my ambulance corps who would probably be willing to join me if there was enough interest that we needed multiple instructors.

August 1st is when we need it by.

Anyone know if EMT-B certification takes care of this requirement? My CPR card just expired, but my EMT-B is good for another year.

August 1st is when we need it by.

Anyone know if EMT-B certification takes care of this requirement? My CPR card just expired, but my EMT-B is good for another year.

Just about positive it doesn't... I was also in this situation, but either way it makes sense to recertify your CPR because you need to keep it active throughout medical school. So, even if they accepted the EMT-B cert instead (which I don't think they do), you'd still have to recertify your CPR next year anyway.

aaj117, that would be fantastic (and very generous). I'd be interested. I saw other classes for $85. That seems to be the going rate in NYC.

What date do you guys need to be CPR certified by again? I threw out the information. If it's not until summer, i could totally try to set up a class for you for like $30/person for the BLS for healthcare providers. I'm an instructor and have lots of other instructors from my ambulance corps who would probably be willing to join me if there was enough interest that we needed multiple instructors.
Thanks for the amazing offer. Count me in. Is it American Heart Association certification? That's what Downstate specifically wants. Also, how many people do you need before you will set up the class? Thanks again.

Thanks for the amazing offer. Count me in. Is it American Heart Association certification? That's what Downstate specifically wants. Also, how many people do you need before you will set up the class? Thanks again.
Yup i'm an american heart association instructor. I guess three or four people would be enough for me to set up a class. A saturday morning or sunday afternoon would be best for me, and i could do anywhere on long island, brooklyn or queens.

Yup i'm an american heart association instructor. I guess three or four people would be enough for me to set up a class. A saturday morning or sunday afternoon would be best for me, and i could do anywhere on long island, brooklyn or queens.
OK, so far I believe fuzzball and I are the only ones who are interested. I hope this catches the eyes of more NYC folks. Thanks again.

Fuzzball, what's your schedule like? My work days are very flexible, but I'll be out of the country from mid-April to late May.

OK, so far I believe fuzzball and I are the only ones who are interested. I hope this catches the eyes of more NYC folks. Thanks again.

Fuzzball, what's your schedule like? My work days are very flexible, but I'll be out of the country from mid-April to late May.

Emquiksilver, fuzzball-I'm willing to join the class! I'm VERY flexible, pretty much any day, time. I won't mind whether it be in Long Island, Queens or Brooklyn.

aaj117-thank you so much for the offer. :)

Soggun-thanks to you as well for your helpful information about the parking situation near school. It's good to know that there's a place run by Downstate where I could pay each week for tickets. I'm going to try to find out if there's monthly paying private lots available near school as well and weigh my options.

Also pretty flexible, but a Thursday or Friday would be ideal, day or night. I suppose we should look for a place--I guess this would depend on how many people we have to make room for. I can probably come up with some options in Brooklyn if we have a date range and estimated number of people. Some groups I'm involved with sometimes use Litchfield Villa in Prospect Park. They have a big meeting room--I'm pretty sure I could get that--if we are really small, we can use my livingroom. And I know of a church basement room that might be available.

aaj117--is there a minimum you want? I also have some non-med student neighbors who probably wouldn't mind updating their CPR skills if you would prefer more bodies--or not, totally up to you.

We could do late March or we could wait until early June.

Also pretty flexible, but a Thursday or Friday would be ideal, day or night. I suppose we should look for a place--I guess this would depend on how many people we have to make room for. I can probably come up with some options in Brooklyn if we have a date range and estimated number of people. Some groups I'm involved with sometimes use Litchfield Villa in Prospect Park. They have a big meeting room--I'm pretty sure I could get that--if we are really small, we can use my livingroom. And I know of a church basement room that might be available.

aaj117--is there a minimum you want? I also have some non-med student neighbors who probably wouldn't mind updating their CPR skills if you would prefer more bodies--or not, totally up to you.

Five or six would be the perfect number-- if it's more than six, i have to get a second instructor, according to AHA, which i could do if need be but it'd be easier scheduling wise not to. The room just has to have enough space for three manequins out and ppl practicing on them, and a DVD player because the whole thing is done by dvd. I have a laptop we could use but a place wtih a projector would be ideal, although i guess it's a bit much to ask. A projector or a large tv would be great.

On second thought, it was selfish of me to ask you guys to accommodate me for the class. If you can, that'd be great. If not, it's OK too.

Five or six would be the perfect number-- if it's more than six, i have to get a second instructor, according to AHA, which i could do if need be but it'd be easier scheduling wise not to. The room just has to have enough space for three manequins out and ppl practicing on them, and a DVD player because the whole thing is done by dvd. I have a laptop we could use but a place wtih a projector would be ideal, although i guess it's a bit much to ask. A projector or a large tv would be great.

I can probably get a projector from work. I'll check and get back to you guys.

Our generous instructor has given me some dates and I have called to see about room availability.

If this is okay with you guys, we can do the following:

Saturday, March 8th, 2008 from 10am to 2pm at the Litchfield Villa conference room in Prospect Park.

Directions: http://www.prospectpark.org/dest/main.cfm?target=litc
If you are driving, you can park in the back (just enter the driveway from Prospect Park West)

As long as I hear no objections, I'll confirm this in a few days. It looks like we have 3 people interested and room for 2 or 3 more.

Our generous instructor has given me some dates and I have called to see about room availability.

If this is okay with you guys, we can do the following:

Saturday, March 8th, 2008 from 10am to 2pm at the Litchfield Villa conference room in Prospect Park.

Directions: http://www.prospectpark.org/dest/main.cfm?target=litc
If you are driving, you can park in the back (just enter the driveway from Prospect Park West)

As long as I hear no objections, I'll confirm this in a few days. It looks like we have 3 people interested and room for 2 or 3 more.
**while you'll probably all be out by 2, i'd have to say the class is scheduled for 10-3 just in case it takes a little longer with the test. Emquicksilver if you could get that projector you'd be our hero.

This sounds great! I can definitely make it on 3/8. I'm very excited to meet my future classmates so early. :D

Bad news. No projector. The one that was in my office was reclaimed by my IT dept. And it's not a good idea to get caught requesting it for personal use. I have another idea though. I'm going to ask the Chief of Pediatrics (I work in a pediatric health center) if we can use the conference room. It's not huge, but there's plenty of space for 5 people and some mannequins. The room has a computer and a projector too. I'll get back to you guys ASAP.

Hey guys,

I am pretty sure that I will be attending Downstate next year, so I figured I would just say hello.

Well, I do have the room at Litchfield reserved from 9-3 on 3/8 and can possibly work out the TV problem (they have one in the room, but said the tv is locked on the weekends). But if that pediatric room is better, just say the word. The 3/8 date works for me and for the instructor.

By the way, Litchfield Villa is at Prospect Park West and 5th Street in Park Slope, with a parking lot on the side, accessible from PPW.

Hey guys,

I am pretty sure that I will be attending Downstate next year, so I figured I would just say hello.

Hey. Happy to hear that. Congrats again. If you want to take care of the CPR certification, a few of us (aaj, fuzzball, mongmong, me) are setting up a date, time, and location for it. We might have space for another.

Well, I do have the room at Litchfield reserved from 9-3 on 3/8 and can possibly work out the TV problem (they have one in the room, but said the tv is locked on the weekends). But if that pediatric room is better, just say the word. The 3/8 date works for me and for the instructor.

By the way, Litchfield Villa is at Prospect Park West and 5th Street in Park Slope, with a parking lot on the side, accessible from PPW.

If we can take care of the TV/projector problem, then Litchfield is fine. The conference room was Plan B just in case. Let us know how that situation works out. Thanks fuzzball. And 3/8 works for me too.

In the grand scheme of NY schools (not far upstate)...where would you place Downstate? I'm trying to make some post-acceptance decisions and just thought I'd see what you guys thought.

In the grand scheme of NY schools (not far upstate)...where would you place Downstate? I'm trying to make some post-acceptance decisions and just thought I'd see what you guys thought.
Downstate is #1 for me because of location, cost, reputation, and clinical experience. I'm assuming you mean among SUNYs but honestly my answer won't change even if I take into account the private schools. To me, no school is worth an additional 20k to 40k. But that's just me.

Are we still on for March 8th? Also, aaj how do you want the fee? Cash? Check? Money order?

Hi! I'm also interested in taking the BLS class with you guys. Is there room left?

pokimee- yes as far as i know we have 1-2 spots still open.
Cash or check is good, $35, I have one friend coming to the class to try to fill it, we can have up to 6 ppl, so let's make a list and figure out how many we have so far.

Downstate is #1 for me because of location, cost, reputation, and clinical experience. I'm assuming you mean among SUNYs but honestly my answer won't change even if I take into account the private schools. To me, no school is worth an additional 20k to 40k. But that's just me.

Are we still on for March 8th? Also, aaj how do you want the fee? Cash? Check? Money order?

I have the exact same reason for choosing Downstate. I had already gone to 7 interviews, had 1 more pending when I heard back from Downstate. It didn't take me more than couple of days to withdraw from all schools (including three other SUNYs I had already interviewed at) because I was sure I'd choose it for its proximity, clinical experience, personal accounts of friends who loved Downstate (they already graduated), and the fact that I was definitely going to choose state school vs. any other private schools in NY for tuition reasons. I loved Stony Brook too, but it's definitely a long way out far in Long Island even if you have a car.

I am still in for 3/8! Should we be PMing aaj our email addresses for direct contact info in order to finalize time and exact address of the place? Also, so that we can get in touch with e/o in a timely manner.

I loved Stony Brook too, but it's definitely a long way out far in Long Island even if you have a car.

I am still in for 3/8! Should we be PMing aaj our email addresses for direct contact info in order to finalize time and exact address of the place? Also, so that we can get in touch with e/o in a timely manner.

My email address is [email protected]. It'd be easier if people just emailed me, and i can send out group emails when i get everyone's addresses. my pm box keeps filling up quicker than i can delete things!

Also, as far as stony brook goes...i actually chose stony over downstate, even though i did NOT want to be in a suburb. I have a car and know the area well, but i just felt that the education was stronger there and the facilities were better. I don't mean to say anythign bad about downstate in this thread, i just want to let people know to keep SB as an option because it is a really great school with phenominal research grants and a wonderful hospital. I've worked there a lot for EMS reasons and the attendings and nurses and anyone who is able just loves to teach.

Also, as far as stony brook goes...i actually chose stony over downstate, even though i did NOT want to be in a suburb. I have a car and know the area well, but i just felt that the education was stronger there and the facilities were better. I don't mean to say anythign bad about downstate in this thread, i just want to let people know to keep SB as an option because it is a really great school with phenominal research grants and a wonderful hospital. I've worked there a lot for EMS reasons and the attendings and nurses and anyone who is able just loves to teach.

I definitely agree on the facilities being better/newer. But, not sure if you guys are aware, the class of 2012 will be working in a brand spankin' new anatomy lab. Yes, lab as in singular. The setup now is there are multiple small labs with a different professor in each room. The new lab will be one big room that can be divided with walls. My tour guides mentioned the lab was in the works when I interviewed in November but they had no idea about the construction timeline. I shadowed a student last week and he said it should be ready by the fall. :thumbup:

I definitely agree on the facilities being better/newer. But, not sure if you guys are aware, the class of 2012 will be working in a brand spankin' new anatomy lab. Yes, lab as in singular. The setup now is there are multiple small labs with a different professor in each room. The new lab will be one big room that can be divided with walls. My tour guides mentioned the lab was in the works when I interviewed in November but they had no idea about the construction timeline. I shadowed a student last week and he said it should be ready by the fall. :thumbup:

I'm guessing you shadowed me (since there was only one other shadowee last week and she was female and shadowed a female student). In any case, that is what the administration has told us though I haven't seen the room ourselves. Other things they've told us are that there will be cameras linked up to TVs spread around the lab to show interesting structures to more people without everyone having to crowd around one cadaver to see it. Anyway, I've heard that the tour guides will be getting an official statement on the status of the new labs and what to expect soon (at which point I'd be happy to let y'all know), but up to this point most of this stuff is speculation (albeit from reasonably high sources).

I went on the 22nd. If that's the case, then thanks for taking me around.

Something I forgot to ask. Does every student get their own desk and locker bin in the carrels? That sounds incredibly convenient.

I went on the 22nd. If that's the case, then thanks for taking me around.

Something I forgot to ask. Does every student get their own desk and locker bin in the carrels? That sounds incredibly convenient.

Ah, nevermind. My shadowee came on the 19th - I guess yours just wasn't e-mailed out to the rest of us the week before. Anyway, hope you had a good time.

As far as your question goes, everyone does get their own desk and locker in addition to access to a communal locker bin in each carrel that contains many of the textbooks that we use.

For anyone in the New York area who needs to be CPR certified before school starts: we still have one spot left in the class on 3/8/08. It is only $35 and you will be out by 3pm, probably earlier. Email me if you are interested in filling this last spot! [email protected]

Any west coasters contemplating Downstate?

Hey guys,

I'm waivering back and forth between wanting to go to Downstate, and not wanting to. I am a native NYer (sorry to disappoint the person asking if there are West coasters thinking about Downstate), and I'm honestly not thrilled with the Brooklyn area. My friends in NYC keep pointing out that it's of course easy to get from Bklyn to the city or to long island or whatever, but I'm not sure that's enough to make me love where Downstate is. On top of that, I have a car and I dread the thought of looking for parking in the morning, trying not to be late for class (I'm anal with timeliness, it's kind of sickening). I think I'll have to leave my car at my parents' place in Long Island if I go there.
I am thought, intrigued by the clinical neuroscience pathway program. Anyone else thinking about this? It's something unique to downstate which definitely grabbed my interest.

Also, did anyone read on their website that page (I forget how I got to it) where current students anonymously posted the reasons why they go there? I fair amount of them said "because I got in there". That didn't make me feel so great about going there. :-/

Any thoughts? comments?

Hey guys,

I'm waivering back and forth between wanting to go to Downstate, and not wanting to. I am a native NYer (sorry to disappoint the person asking if there are West coasters thinking about Downstate), and I'm honestly not thrilled with the Brooklyn area. My friends in NYC keep pointing out that it's of course easy to get from Bklyn to the city or to long island or whatever, but I'm not sure that's enough to make me love where Downstate is. On top of that, I have a car and I dread the thought of looking for parking in the morning, trying not to be late for class (I'm anal with timeliness, it's kind of sickening). I think I'll have to leave my car at my parents' place in Long Island if I go there.
I am thought, intrigued by the clinical neuroscience pathway program. Anyone else thinking about this? It's something unique to downstate which definitely grabbed my interest.

Also, did anyone read on their website that page (I forget how I got to it) where current students anonymously posted the reasons why they go there? I fair amount of them said "because I got in there". That didn't make me feel so great about going there. :-/

Any thoughts? comments?

Honestly, you sound a lot like me a year ago. I grew up in Queens and really didn't like the idea of living in Brooklyn. I also really didn't want to have to leave my car at my parents house (because really its not practical to have it around here). Ultimately though, I think this sort of stuff I've just adapted to. I thought it would affect my life much, much more than it actually does. Whenever I want to use my car, my parents just pick me up and bring me home (and I know folks on the island who just take the train to atlantic ave. and take the LIRR from there). As far as the area goes, it isn't the best, but the truth is unless you're walking around at 2AM (which there's no reason to since the shuttle will take you anywhere around here 24hrs/day) you'll almost certainly have no problems - or at least I haven't and nobody I know has.

As far as the comments go, keep in mind that those are taken at the beginning of the first year and before any of us have any experience with getting to know DS. I can honestly tell you that virtually all of my friends are very happy with the decision they made. That being said, if you still want to look them over (there are plenty of positive reasons too), the website is at http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/comments/index.html

If you really are on the fence, one of the best things you can do to make your decision is to come one day and shadow-a-student and get an idea for how we live. If you want to do that, just e-mail Ilana Levine and she'll set it up (and if you'd like to shadow me, just PM me and I'll give you my info so you can let Ilana know).

Hope this helps your decision and either way congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Any thoughts? comments?

Hey, I'm pretty sure I'll be at Downstate next year, that is unless I change my mind when I shadow a student in 2 weeks. Or if I get pulled off a waitlist. Even though I'm hesitant about attending, I know Downstate's a great school and all the great clinical experience will help me become a good doctor. Plus its cheap and my other acceptance is at a private school. I'd rather my transition in medical school not be concurrent with moving to NYC but I guess that's just how it worked out.
I too am interested in the neurosciences pathway and I'm looking forward to asking students some questions about it when I go to NY.