Summer Classes

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats a manageable amount of credits to take during the summer at a 4 year institution?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine it would be the same as regular school year . . . . I took 15 credits/quarter in the fall, winter, and spring. I'll take 15 this summer - no change.

I'm taking 2 sessions... one with 4 hours of General Chem and another with 3 of Psychology. I guess it depends on the classes and how well you know them already...

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh...is 15 credits really manageable during the summer? Since it seems like you need to study a lot more, since you have less time

The upper limit at my school is 14, so I'd imagine it's fairly manageable. This is, of course, for about 3 months, which isn't that much shorter than a typical semester--and I hear that the courses are condensed and slightly easier over the summer, but I really have no clue. :)

My school(quarter system) has 2 summer quarters each 5 weeks(normally 10 weeks). Together I am taking 16 units over 10 weeks (8 first 5, 8 second 5) which is pretty much a standard quarter. My school caps it at 10 units a session(20 total).

Ours is kinda like that too, we have 2 seperate sessions but the classes are five days a week and two hours a day.

My school limits the amount you can take at fourteen. Seven for the first summer term, and seven for the second. Most of the classes are four days a week.

Yeah, summer classes are done in double time at my CC, so if you're taking a four-credit class, you're in there four days a week, usually for two to six hours at a time. It's crazy. If your summer semester is like this, don't take a full load, and don't take anything challenging. Not worth risking your GPA over.

...Why are we all on? It's a Wednesday morning. Y'all should be in school.

I'm basically waiting for my bus to arrive, since the stop is less than a minute away from my house... School doesn't start until 8:50 for me. XD

I have my history final this morning, I'm studying the powerpoints a bit before I head out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah... Kay. I was worried you guys were skipping or something. (And holy crap, 8:50! My high school starts at 7:20. That's crazy)

No worries. Mine starts at 7:50...

lol my high school starts at 8. I live in CA, so right now, it's only 6:40

Holy crap. That is entirely too early to be awake.

lol my high school starts at 8. I live in CA, so right now, it's only 6:40

Dude! If I were you I'd roll of of bed at 7:45, throw some clothes on, brush my hair and run out the door. Why on earth do you get up that early?

8:50 is pretty late... The earliest I've started school was 7:45, but I remember sophomore year my bus came at 5:25 a.m. Scary stuff, man.

Holy crap. That is entirely too early to be awake.
Really? I get up at 6 every schoolday. Weekends...whenever I feel like it...usually around 11 or noon :)
Dude! If I were you I'd roll of of bed at 7:45, throw some clothes on, brush my hair and run out the door. Why on earth do you get up that early?
Hahah I dunno. Habit I guess?
8:50 is pretty late... The earliest I've started school was 7:45, but I remember sophomore year my bus came at 5:25 a.m. Scary stuff, man.
Dang, 5:25? You live an hour away from school or something? Bus for my school comes at 6:50. I'm the first stop though... :(

Ngh. I'm used to getting up at eight every day. What can I say, I'm spoiled!

Dang, 5:25? You live an hour away from school or something? Bus for my school comes at 6:50. I'm the first stop though... :(
I was living on post, so the school was in a different "city" so to speak... But it was really only about twenty minutes away. There were a TON of stops though, and I had to change buses at a shuttle point for all of the magnet students in the district, so I guess that's why it took so long. I refused to ride the bus that year though, that was waaay too early for me... :laugh:

Christ, 15 hours in a summer is ridiculous. Summer classes are a LOT more fast-paced, and often the university has the summer split into sessions.

I'm taking summer classes right now at UNC. UNC has a Maymester, Session I, and Session II. Sessions I and II each last thirty days, which means an entire semester's worth of class material is learned in one month.

My professor explained it like this: we are learning one week of material per day of class.

We have class every day for 1.5 hours, sure, but think of the studying!

She strongly encouraged against taking more than one class per Session, never mind a full load.

Don't be stupid, take one class at a time during the summer. No sense in overloading on it. The classes will be enough of a pain in the ass without having to worry about going overdrive on two of them.

Summer classes are great. You take one at a time, you can go to work during the day if its an evening class (the best ones), you can still go out with friends, and yes you have to do some work somewhere in there too. Taking more than that is just asking for a crappy summer.

Whoa, and here I thought medical schools would look down on summer classes, but apparently they're more difficult than I imagined! I didn't think about the two session split. :eek: