Summer Classes (two 8 week sessions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take at least 2 classes this summer to be able to apply this fall, for Fall 2005 admittance, but I am considering taking more so I can get some of the recommended but not required courses such as biochem and genetics. When we are speaking of undergrad prereqs, how many classes would you take during an 8 week summer term, if working 25 hours per week? This is with knowing you have to get an A in all classes taken?
Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on your ability and background, plus the course content. If you work like 25 hours/ week, I don't recommend you take more than 2 classes.

Last summer I took Micro w/ lab (4 hrs), Survey of human disease (3 hrs), and Planetary Science (3 hrs). This was for one 16 week session. I highly recommend *not* taking this many hours though. I was working ~25 hrs a week and it nearly killed me. I was so burnt out by the end of summer. But I really think it depends on the class and the person. Some classes will be easier to take in the summer while Micro I wouldn't recommend.

~Pam

Members don't see this ad :)
By starting a semester late (Jan instead of Aug), I am a semester behind. So I am trying to figure out how to catch up so I can take more of the not required but recommended classes. Unfortunately, I will be taking Chem II this summer, so I can not take OChem until Aug, so I can't take OChem II until next Jan, so it will be the summer before entry into COP before I can take biochemistry and microbiology. :(

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, as most people like to finish school as soon as possible, but maybe you should plan on taking 2.5-3 years to finish your pharm prereqs. Especially if you're determined to get all A's. Many of the pre-pharm students at my school are planning to take 3 years for their prereqs. In fact, only about 5% of the applicants are accepted with only 2 years of college! :O Don't want to get you discouraged, though...if you are set on starting pharmacy in 2009, I would recommend to focus on the required prereqs and don't worry if you complete the "recommended" ones or not. Otherwise, you many get burnt out before the program even starts! Anyway, I plan on taking Organic Chem II and Organic Lab (7 credits total) in 8 weeks...I think that will be a huge challenge but I also do not plan on working this summer. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but this is my .02! :)

I forgot to mention that it's at my particular university that only about 5% are accepted with only 2 years of college...that's not true for all pharmacy schools. Hopefully it's different at the schools you're looking at. Good luck in your pre-pharm studies! :)

You should be okay with Gen Chem II in the summer. But, I wouldn't take anything else with it, except maybe A & P I. It is pretty easy if you are good at memorizing things. And the shorter session means that you won't need to remember as long. You had to memorize all the bones, but you weren't asked again. Same thing with the muscles.

I took classes over three summers.

1st - public speaking & humanities

2nd - parasitology & the catholic tradition
(those are separate classes, though it sounds interesting as one class!)

3rd - A & P II