Working The Summer Before Pharmacy School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodIsBeautiful

ℬ.
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it best to work an educational job that requires me to use brainpower or apply myself mentally the summer before pharmacy school? I feel like doing something non-pharmacy related before things get intense in pharmacy school in Fall 2019. I also don't want to burnout before I'm even [a] P1. However, I also don't want to fall behind. :( #IsThisEvenLife?

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it best to work an educational job that requires me to use brainpower or apply myself mentally the summer before pharmacy school? I feel like doing something non-pharmacy related before things get intense in pharmacy school in Fall 2019. I also don't want to burnout before I'm even [a] P1. However, I also don't want to fall behind. :( #IsThisEvenLife?

What would you do?

I am planning on working up until pharmacy school starts then switch to one or two days a week. I want the income to pay down some bills and save money. I guess it just depends on your situation.

Reactions: 1 user

What would you do?
Did you not have a pharmacy tech job prior to even considering going to pharmacy school? If you are a current tech and are moving to a new area for school, you can ask to transfer within your company to a closer location. If you can't, then I would start applying for pharmacy tech jobs then you will eventually be promoted to intern once you start school. That way you will get a head start compared to your classmates because when pharmacy school starts, they will all be scrambling to find intern positions and there won't be enough to go around. I'm not sure how it is in your area, but my district has recently limited intern hours to 5 hours per week. There's just too many interns and not enough hours. It may be a tight job market even for pharmacy interns.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you already worked as a tech, then the choice is yours. If not, then I would suggest you start working as a tech immediately. This may be the last chance you get to really find out if this job is for you before going into pharmacy school. I found out 3 weeks into the job that I didn't want to become a pharmacist anymore, lol.

Hi @GodIsBeautiful! Good question. I think this all depends on how you feel. It seems that you already got accepted to pharmacy school so you don't necessarily need more pharmacy-related experience. My personal feeling is that as a 4th year student, you should spend some time for yourself! Enjoy and explore places and do activities that you enjoy doing. Pharmacy school is lengthy and is more like a marathon. You will have plenty of time to orient yourself to the profession. I don't necessarily believe that you need to be a pharmacy tech or intern during pharmacy school to have a job after you graduate. Furthermore, you will hear admissions advise against working during pharmacy school due to the rigor of didactics.

I hope this helps!

I am planning on working up until pharmacy school starts then switch to one or two days a week. I want the income to pay down some bills and save money. I guess it just depends on your situation.

This is essentially my plan. I'll be working full time until it's time to report for Welcome week, and then I'll be working part-time during the semesters.

I would work for the purpose of gaining an intern spot with the workplace even if it means a transfer within the company. You don’t have to work full time if you don’t want to, but getting the tempo before school can never steer anyone wrong.

"It depends on your situation." Agreed! I'm under 20, and still live with my parents so working would just be for leisure. Thank you very much, and good luck to you!

If you already worked as a tech, then the choice is yours. If not, then I would suggest you start working as a tech immediately. This may be the last chance you get to really find out if this job is for you before going into pharmacy school. I found out 3 weeks into the job that I didn't want to become a pharmacist anymore, lol.

You're right! It is always a plus to have experience in the field. But I personally don't want my life to revolve around pharmacy this summer. Maybe next summer. Yes; next summer it is! :)

And aw, man. :( I'm sorry that pharmacy wasn't for you. But hey! You dodged a bullet! Thanks for the advice!

Hi @GodIsBeautiful! Good question. I think this all depends on how you feel. It seems that you already got accepted to pharmacy school so you don't necessarily need more pharmacy-related experience. My personal feeling is that as a 4th year student, you should spend some time for yourself! Enjoy and explore places and do activities that you enjoy doing. Pharmacy school is lengthy and is more like a marathon. You will have plenty of time to orient yourself to the profession. I don't necessarily believe that you need to be a pharmacy tech or intern during pharmacy school to have a job after you graduate. Furthermore, you will hear admissions advise against working during pharmacy school due to the rigor of didactics.

I hope this helps!

You're GOD sent. This is exactly what I'm thinking; glad someone agrees! :D

Thanks for the advice!

One good reason to work in the industry before school, even just a little, would be to give you points of reference to connect your learning to later on.

I would work for the purpose of gaining an intern spot with the workplace even if it means a transfer within the company. You don’t have to work full time if you don’t want to, but getting the tempo before school can never steer anyone wrong.

Hey, I remember you! Thank you so much for the advice!

One good reason to work in the industry before school, even just a little, would be to give you points of reference to connect your learning to later on.

Aaaaaah, you're right; I need to think smart. Besides, it doesn't hurt anybody to work a bit. Thank you for the advice!