Passionate to work 32 hours a week for $40 an hour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How low of a wage are you willing to work as a pharmacist

• $60

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • $55

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • $50

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • $45

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • $40

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • $35

• $30

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • $25

• $<25

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatCauthon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
questions for pre pharmd

When you talk to your other pre-pharm friends do you sense that they are so passionate to work in pharmacy that they are ready to take out 200k in loans to have a chance to work in a pharmacy?

Are you prepared to make far less than 100k a year to work in a retail pharmacy? 66k per year is a realistic salary in many retail locations. Is that a satisfying financial goal for you?

Is a 0.75:2 or 1:2 ratio of annual salary to student loans considered financially savvy?

Have you lined up other backup options since BLS is projecting 0% growth in pharmacist jobs?

Have you worked as a pharmacy technician? Since many pharmacy technicians are making half or more of the new $40 per hour pharmacist wages, does it make sense for a technician to spend 4 more years to go to pharmacy school?

Are you prepared to do 1 to 2 year of residency to fight for a hospital pharmacist job in an extremely competitive market? One that may require moving anywhere in the country?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
questions for pre pharmd

When you talk to your other pre-pharm friends do you sense that they are so passionate to work in pharmacy that they are ready to take out 200k in loans to have a chance to work in a pharmacy?

Are you prepared to make far less than 100k a year to work in a retail pharmacy? 66k per year is a realistic salary in many retail locations. Is that a satisfying financial goal for you?

Is a 0.75:2 or 1:2 ratio of annual salary to student loans considered financially savvy?

Have you lined up other backup options since than BLS is projecting 0% growth in pharmacist jobs?

Have you worked as a pharmacy technician? Since many pharmacy technicians are making half or more of the new $40 per hour pharmacist wages, does it make sense for a technician to spend 4 more years to go to pharmacy school?

Are you prepared to do 1 to 2 year of residency to fight for a hospital pharmacist job in an extremely competitive market? One that may require moving anywhere in the country?
Most pre-pharms aren't in it for the money but because they are truly passionate about the profession. Plus, a 30 hour work week is ideal because it means they have job flexibility and can pursue their other life passions.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Most pre-pharms aren't in it for the money but because they are truly passionate about the profession. Plus, a 30 hour work week is ideal because it means they have job flexibility and can pursue their other life passions.
I work 40 and pursue my life passions

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What other profession allows you to work 32 hours a week, have a life outside of work and make 60$ an hour??? Its clean, no blood, no other body fluids, not inside the 4 walls all the time, not in front of a computer 70 hours a week.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope this is sarcasm

What other profession allows you to work 32 hours a week, have a life outside of work and make 60$ an hour??? Its clean, no blood, no other body fluids, not inside the 4 walls all the time, not in front of a computer 70 hours a week.
very few new hires are making 60 - I hire rph's - we are paying $50ish an hour to new grads with a PGY-2

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

I hope this is sarcasm

Other life passions like...............having a 2nd job?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Yea ok....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea ok....
The #1 most common answer to the "why pharmacy?" question during the interview process is "because I want to help people."

Are you insinuating that the vast majority of pre-pharms are outright lying during interviews? How dare you!

• Wow
  • Haha
The #1 most common answer to the "why pharmacy?" question during the interview process is "because I want to help people."

Are you insinuating that the vast majority of pre-pharms are outright lying during interviews? How dare you!

I told them that it seemed like a job that I was qualified to do and I am looking for a job that I can support my family with. I said nothing at all about helping others. This is not to say that I do not want to help others - but my highest priority is simply to being home a paycheck.

Helping others is cool though.

"Yeah, but I like chemistry."

So why not be a chemist?

"Because I want to help people."

You can help people by creating drugs or even help with drug discoveries.

"But I get to talk to people."

Then go to customer service or sales, you can help plenty of people with face-to-face interaction there. And you really won't use very much chemistry as a pharmacist anyway.

"But I like to help by teaching others!"

Be a teacher or professor.

"But pharmacy also pays really good."

THANK YOU! You're in.

very few new hires are making 60 - I hire rph's - we are paying $50ish an hour to new grads with a PGY-2
40-45/hr is more accurate nowadays.

LMAO at new grads thinking they gonna get 60/hr (that was my rate 12 yrs ago). Now, you get $45-55 (Midwest - CA/NYC) if you blow the DM. Salary is crapping down fast. I think our new low will be around $35/hr in the next 2 yrs.

• Haha

LMAO at new grads thinking they gonna get 60/hr (that was my rate 12 yrs ago). Now, you get $45-55 (Midwest - CA/NYC) if you blow the DM. Salary is crapping down fast. I think our new low will be around $35/hr in the next 2 yrs.

I was hired at $58/hr in 2016 (no fellatio took place, I swear). If it's changed that quickly I'll probably get fired in the next 2 years. Probably more important than ever to document your shifts.

I was hired at $58/hr in 2016 (no fellatio took place, I swear). If it's changed that quickly I'll probably get fired in the next 2 years. Probably more important than ever to document your shifts.

Yes it has changed that quickly. 4 years is a LONG time in the pharmacy world. Last year new grads reported $50/hr and now we're seeing offers in the $40s/hr.

Any of us can be laid off in the next two years so we must save up and think of a backup career. You are probably safer than the lifers who make $60-70 hr though.

yes, new grads are getting offers for $40 to $45 at 32 hours. some high end IV pharm techs are making salaries in the high $20s to low $30 range. pharmacist wages are approaching the higher end of technician wages. just wait till we see the 1st sub $40 rph wages. it won't be long with Walgreens losing 1.6 billion on the last quarter. the next step is get technicians checking product and having rph only remotely doing clinical reviews and data verification. 1 rph can run many stores this way and they will have tech check tech and technician immunizations

yes, new grads are getting offers for $40 to $45 at 32 hours. some high end IV pharm techs are making salaries in the high $20s to low $30 range. pharmacist wages are approaching the higher end of technician wages. just wait till we see the 1st sub $40 rph wages. it won't be long with Walgreens losing 1.6 billion on the last quarter. the next step is get technicians checking product and having rph only remotely doing clinical reviews and data verification. 1 rph can run many stores this way and they will have tech check tech and technician immunizations

I actually know of a former classmate (I just graduated in the c/o 2020) who had connections with the administrative staff at an LTC facility in one of Pennsylvania's mid-sized cities, and they were offered $40/hr to work nights exclusively at the facility. No shift differential was offered. I wouldn't be surprised if sub-$40/hr wages start being offered this fall as more c/o 2020 graduates get licensed and apply for jobs.

Aren't there already threads about jobs for PICs at indies in the SE/NE paying $25/hr?

Prepharms aren’t even responding to these threads. This forum is dead. They’re all over at the school specific and PCAT forums because the only people left who want to do pharmacy are those who don’t read this forum

High end techs are more valuable than most pharmacists. They are hard to find but pharmacists are a dime a dozen. How many pharmacists make IVs? Some of them in hospitals and LTCs do but not as efficiently as IV techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.