Suboxone clinic w just intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flapjack3d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Totally hypothetical. I’m actually somewhat enjoying residency right now. But if I were to quit after intern year with a medical license, is there any reason I wouldn’t be able to start a suboxone clinic? Seems pretty straightforward medically speaking and wouldn’t need to be hired by a hospital. Would being covered by insurance be the issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Insurance acceptance and malpractice coverage is generally hard to get if you're not a board certified/eligible something.

There just generally isn't a good reason NOT to complete your residency unless you're dismissed. You really have a much broader scope of practice open to you by getting BC.

Reactions: 2 users
There was psych resident who started one as PGY-III at CCF years ago.
The liability insurance is doable and cheap.
The business plan you envision is doable.
Many insurance won't panel a none BC/BE doc. Which is scat, considering ARNPs and PAs are running around. I'll skip that soap box today.

The issues are, suboxone X numbers are expanded and now also allowed for ARNP and PAs. Plus there is some talk of simply dropping the X number altogether. Most of the suboxone population is Medicaid. There are now in places in the country enough options to get care and be in network. In other words the cash suboxone market dried up several years. Cash suboxone will now only be the higher end place where money individuals want more privacy and not shuttled through in herd like fashion. They will also want the addiction psychiatry or addiction medicine board certified doc to pay the cash to.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a horrible idea. Finish residency and don't look back.

Reactions: 2 users
Please, for the love of everything that is holy, complete your residency. Trying to practice medicine with just an internship is like trying to swim with your arms and legs constantly tied.

Reactions: 1 user