Submission to Publication Timeframe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is an average submission to publication time frame? Is it a year? Is it a couple months? I know there are differences depending on the journal, the data, the number of reviews. What is the shortest anyone has heard of? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What is an average submission to publication time frame? Is it a year? Is it a couple months? I know there are differences depending on the journal, the data, the number of reviews. What is the shortest anyone has heard of? Thanks
There were a few people I worked with who got their submission published in six months, but they were working hard al the time for it. And that was to the point that it was accepted and it was going to be published. When the article was actually printed, I don't know.

If you were trying to estimate things, give yourself a year.

Depends on how much the editor makes you change things, but mine was done in about a month or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how much the editor makes you change things, but mine was done in about a month or so.

It was only one month from when you submitted it to when it was published, that really good turn around time. Congrats.

Depends a lot on what journal, online publication options, etc...
I recommend you go look at the journal you are interested in publishing in, each article usually has a submitted, revised, accepted dates.

i was published in a history journal and it took a year and a half! damn historians, no concept of time :)laugh: )

i was published in a history journal and it took a year and a half! damn historians, no concept of time :)laugh: )

:laugh: No they are just older generations, "still living in the past" :)laugh: )

Typically, for an article that is eventually published, the received to accepted for publication time frame will be at least 6 weeks. (The least I've ever seen was with the first report of Lyme Disease which was had a 2 day turn around ). The time from acceptance to distribution will be about nine months -- sometimes less, quite often longer. The exception has been for very big news of a clinical nature (HIV treatment was the trailblazer here, now it is often seen in heart disease) which these days gets distributed electronically before it appears in print.

It is usually 6 months to a year...depending on the quality of the journal typically takes longer for popular journals because they are backed up

submitted an article to BJCP in December 2006, finally accepted February 2006, Published in print in September 2006.

submitted an article to BJCP in December 2006, finally accepted February 2006, Published in print in September 2006.

Wow, the publishers wanted to publish it so badly they went back in time!:D

I recently had a publication in AJCP. Was accepted in July. Got galleys by August. Finalized by September, and just published early this month.

I have other pending publications for other journals which take about 4-5 months from acceptance to publication.

Just for fun, the fastest rejections I've had would be from NEJM and JAMA..haha. But then they also pre-screen them before peer-review. Rejection from NEJM took 16 hours;). But really it was to just apply to the journal for fun. Ended up publishing in Critical Care Medicine. No harm no foul. :)

two experiences of mine this year:

refereed pub sample:

original submission - mid march 2006.
acceptance of revision - late june 2006.
print --> print scheduled Jan.2007.

hence - the acceptance was 3 months (including a revision). ETA of paper .... long time.

non-refereed journal sample:
submission - early june 2006
print --> september 2006

can be super-fast

mine took 2 months from submission to acceptance in a peer reviewed journal.from acceptance to publication:17 months!
If you're looking for fast publication try one of the biomedcentral online journals.They publish immediately after acceptance. Also look for journals that publish online earlier than their paper publication.