Publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marmanqmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up a paper with my PI that will not be published until next November when I'm in med school. It will be published in Nature and I will be second author. My question is whether I can consider this a publication for residency applications as I didn't actually work on it in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Publications never stop "counting". For residency applications you would include all publications ever.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
All papers count for an application. However, it must be published, electronic or physical, for you to include it in an application (or at the very least, accepted). "Submitted" is a meaningless designation.

For the purposes of future applications (eg ERAS), there is a section called "Research Experiences" where you can document all research, published or not.

Opinions may differ but IMO you only identify the journal once it has been accepted for publication. "Submitted to Nature" might prompt an eye-roll and that's not the reaction you're looking for.