Studying resources and tips - videos, tutoring, anki, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishermanDon99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just recently accepted to one of my top schools and am very excited although a little intimidated as they are a highly ranked school. Although I did well in school and got accepted, I would not say that basic science courses are my forte and I did struggle a bit throughout my post-bacc.
My partner is currently in medical school and he has a lot of review resources like sketchy that provide skits to be used as mnemonics for memorizing pathologies, pathogens, and drugs. Does anything like that exist that is tailored for vet students? Are there any youtube channels that provide reviews? Did anyone use flashcard platforms with premade review decks like Anki?
I feel there is an air of mystery around how heavily basic science vs clinical skills will be emphasized in my curriculum. I have been out of school teching in a small animal hospital during this gap year and I would like to ease back into things so that I am not bombarded come august. Any specific tools I should use?

Members don't see this ad.

This guy's videos get assigned for some subjects where the phys is similar to humans: Armando Hasudungan | Biology and Medicine videos

I used the sketchy idea to make my own drawings (terrible artist) for some of the memorization of bacteria, protozoa, etc I WISH there was a vet specific sketchy, would have absolutely paid for that

I know if you search you can find people's quizlets for whole classes at different schools, might be the same for anki. I only know one guy of 115 that uses anki in my class so no idea if they have any vet specific content

Did this even answer your question?
Also you will get significantly more responses on the prevet side

There is a thread somewhere, probably over in pre-vet called Vet School Study Tools or something similar where people have linked some of their favorite resources. I'd search over there.

Also +1 to Armando Hasudungan Youtube...he helped me prepare for my phase 1 pathology boards. Wasn't quite in depth enough for many of my boards things, but it's a great overview and the illustrations help.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your acceptance, and please don't feel intimidated by a vet school's ranking (who was doing the ranking?) -- those rankings really aren't based on DVM programs (but on grad programs and research), so being "highly ranked" as a vet school really means nothing to a vet student.

Once you are actually a vet student, get yourself a free membership to VIN, the Veterinary Information Network. There are a ton of resources on there; although the message boards get most of the glory (and they are really helpful), there are also helpful resources like a 3D anatomy program, procedure videos, a veterinary clinical encyclopedia, and even some online reference books. The message boards are a way to connect to other vets and vet students (over 70,000 members) that can help with tips, tricks, and general moral support.

I still use an online radiology resource to help me locate and identify things on rads (normal things, not pathologies): the University of Illinois' Veterinary Imaging Anatomy site.

Reactions: 1 users