Studying In Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabby0101

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have pros and cons of studying in Ireland? Is it harder to get a residency in the US after? What is the process of studying abroad and then coming back to the US to practice? Is there anything extra you have to do?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in the US, go to school in the US. Take a semester in Ireland while in college or go live there for a year before you start the application process. Ireland is amazing.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The government funding of graduate medical education is not increasing, thus the number of residency slot openings are not increasing at the same pace, as graduating medical students (particularly DO, where the class size is larger, and we have had an explosion of new schools, and more to come).

In addition, There are lots of carribean schools where the students do their clinical rotations (3rd and 4th year) in inner city hospitals who are getting placed in those residencies , which is again reducing the pool of available residency openings.

Thus, the challenge for international medical graduates to get residency will continue to get more challenging,

Reactions: 1 users
Obvs go to a US school, MD or DO if you want to practice in the US. It will make your life much easier.

That said, I think the Atlantic Bridge schools/programs are probably better respected than carribean schools and if you want to practice in europe/canada, they fulfill the requirements but don't quote me on this.