How do adcoms view gap(s) from MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comura

Reaction score
As a non-trad applicant, I recognize that it might take me months of doing nothing but MCAT studying to get my MCAT score up to where it needs to be. Looking ahead, how is this gap interpreted on my application? Do adcoms see that there's a gap and automatically assume it was due to studying for the MCAT?

Feeling a bit of guilt, is doing nothing but MCAT studying acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

As a non-trad applicant, I recognize that it might take me months of doing nothing but MCAT studying to get my MCAT score up to where it needs to be. Looking ahead, how is this gap interpreted on my application? Do adcoms see that there's a gap and automatically assume it was due to studying for the MCAT?

I don't know if they automatically assume that but the answer is that is okay, so long as you have achieved the other stuff you need to for a strong application. It's not like a job application - nobody cares about a gap

A gap of 2 or 3 months probably won’t be noticed, but longer than that might raise a few eyebrows (unless you are doing other significant activities, such as substantial volunteering).
Most nontrads don’t take long gaps for MCAT prep. I am always impressed positively by those who are able to juggle full-time work, MCAT prep, and volunteering. Conversely, I am negatively impressed by those who spend a year doing an MCAT prep course while not working.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I screen, I don't notice the gaps. Frankly, unless you point out how long you studied, I wouldn't really know. If you are asked, tell the truth. The result matters here.

Reactions: 1 users
A gap of 2 or 3 months probably won’t be noticed, but longer than that might raise a few eyebrows (unless you are doing other significant activities, such as substantial volunteering).
Most nontrads don’t take long gaps for MCAT prep. I am always impressed positively by those who are able to juggle full-time work, MCAT prep, and volunteering. Conversely, I am negatively impressed by those who spend a year doing an MCAT prep course while not working.

Can you explain what "substantial volunteering" translates to in terms of hours per week? I'm planning to study full-time for at least three months.

I did a post bacc and took only one class (biochem) while studying for the MCAT for four months. I got over a dozen MD interviews and no eyebrows were raised at any point in time about it. Never got a question about it in any of my interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
How is it viewed working full time but also have more than 3+ gap years preparing for a retake MCAT?

Im currently doing cancer research (1 first author and 10+ co authors in Nature, Science NEJ etc..)

How is it viewed working full time but also have more than 3+ gap years preparing for a retake MCAT?

Im currently doing cancer research (1 first author and 10+ co authors in Nature, Science NEJ etc..)
No problem at all!

I did a post bacc and took only one class (biochem) while studying for the MCAT for four months. I got over a dozen MD interviews and no eyebrows were raised at any point in time about it. Never got a question about it in any of my interviews.
I'm coming from the standpoint of someone who hasn't taken some of the prereqs in over 10 years - I'm essentially starting from scratch. I think that's why the general advice given by others on here has me unsure.

As someone who has recently taken coursework, If it took you 4 months of nothing but the MCAT to study for the exam (assume biochem class = MCAT-related), I would assume it would take me wayyyy longer to prep for it full-time...but it sounds like students like myself are not given the leeway??? :unsure:

I'm coming from the standpoint of someone who hasn't taken some of the prereqs in over 10 years - I'm essentially starting from scratch. I think that's why the general advice given by others on here has me unsure.

As someone who has recently taken coursework, If it took you 4 months of nothing but the MCAT to study for the exam (assume biochem class = MCAT-related), I would assume it would take me wayyyy longer to prep for it full-time...but it sounds like students like myself are not given the leeway??? :unsure:
4 months of nothing but MCAT studying should be plenty of time for the majority of people imo.

4 months of nothing but MCAT studying should be plenty of time for the majority of people imo.
Yes, but I'm not sure if you missed my point...does this "majority" include those who haven't seen most of the material in a decade? Would like to hear how you'd recommend doing it if that's the case. As someone who hasn't started studying yet, seems a bit overwhelming given the amount of content that needs to be relearned.

Yes, but I'm not sure if you missed my point...does this "majority" include those who haven't seen most of the material in a decade? Would like to hear how you'd recommend doing it if that's the case. As someone who hasn't started studying yet, seems a bit overwhelming given the amount of content that needs to be relearned.
Ok so glad you clarified because I’d taken all my prereqs in the past 2 years. I have no idea how long it’d take without having taken the classes recently.

I'll be honest, I assumed you were going to take basic pre-reqs again before applying to med school. If you aren't (though I would recommend it), my best advice is to take a full length practice exam as a baseline and do a thorough review. The MCAT is a mile wide and an inch deep when it comes to knowing content and instead strongly rewards people who are good at critically analyzing data and information. If you take a full length and your weak areas are focused around content, then yes I think you could reasonably take the MCAT after 4 months of full-time study. If you struggle with the parsing data and passages to answer questions, it might take longer to develop that skill.

If you are scoring 505 on your practice tests, you know the basics of the material and should be able to re-learn the rest in a few months. Were your scores balanced? Do you know where your weaknesses are?

I really don’t think someone is looking at your application and saying “ wow I like this person, but the 3 months of not working is a red flag”- they either wana meet/interview you or they don’t. I genuinely don’t think they’re scrutinizing that closely but I could be wrong.