Studying for the MCAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuwillobrien

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the end of the second year I'll have taken two semesters of general biology, two semesters of general chemistry, two semesters of organic chemistry, two semesters of physics, two semesters of calculus, two semesters of cell biology and two semesters of cell physiology.

Is this enough to start preparing for the MCAT with? I'm not aiming for a high MCAT score, but I'm the kind of person who fares well with months of small accumulation rather than the night before cramming.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely. The MCAT only tests based on knowledge that you would gain from 1 year of Bio, Chem, Orgo, and Physics. Anything beyond that can be useful, but those are the only classes that are strictly necessary to preapre for the MCAT. So go nuts, and good luck.

yep, some of the extra classes you've taken will actually benefit you in your studying. My biggest piece of advice for you is read the science review books once or twice, then do practice tests for the rest of the time. I remember I started serious studying in November for my MCAT-- I read some old Kaplan books I had bought one time for review and then did practice tests for nearly 4 months straight, and it worked out well for me. Time yourself too :)

Good luck!
Cantal

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the quick responses! That's great that I'll be able to start soon. Would you guys recommend any additional non-MCATish stuff to prepare for the verbal reasoning section? Read some classics or something?

I think the best way to prepare for the verbal is to do practice sessions out the wazoo. Reading classics is great, but I don't know that it helps you get meaning quickly from 5-6 paragraph essays.
I'd say get some workbooks and practice, practice, practice for the verbal.

Good luck!

I had a lot fewer classes than you do when I took it, and I did fine.