Coursework & Fieldwork Studying for Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reems112

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Hope you all are doing well! I am really excited to start my OTD program in less than a month! I just got my class schedule and I will have anatomy and physiology as well lab the first semester. The students that are already in their programs, how did you guys study for anatomy? Was it a rude awakening because so much information is being thrown at you once? How should I prep before school starts? I want to be on top of it but I don't know where I should even start. I haven't gotten my official booklist either, so waiting on that as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!! I’m a 3rd year MSOT student. Honestly, I wouldn’t recommend studying for anatomy prior to school. Just enjoy your free time and make the most of it!! School is going to be stressful, but do-able. Your program shoudl ease you in to the course load.
If you insist on studying, i would only brush up on bones & muscles. We didnt do physiology over again in grad school. :) goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Following up on this, what tools did you find most helpful to study? Coloring books? Print outs? Flashcards? iPad? Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I’m a first-year OTD student and actually just finished my anatomy course! I have an iPad and found it to be really useful for taking notes and drawing in class, though I definitely don’t think you NEED it to be successful. Now I personally would 100% recommend getting a whiteboard and dry erase markers for drawing out diagrams (ie. the brachial plexus)! I have one that fits in my backpack and I bring it everywhere with me! It was very helpful to be able to use different colors when trying to learn things. Also, a lot of people in my cohort love flashcards so that could also be useful. I personally am more Quizlet kind of person but it’s definitely based on your personal preference.

I would absolutely take this time to relax though. You’ll learn everything you need to know when you’re in school. You took the required prerequisites already and were accepted so they believe you have what it takes to succeed so you should too!

Good luck!
Thank you for your insight and encouraging words!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a first term OTD student and anatomy definitely was HARD. I’m still taking the course now but we are finishing up in a few weeks. Definitely attend open labs if you have them, my major tip is if you like studying quizlet’s make sure you ACTUALLY make your own sets. Making my own sets this term helped me a lot. It helped me learn the material in active recall

Reactions: 1 user