Coursework & Fieldwork Anatomy and OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm starting OT school in September at Davenport (in Michigan) or possibly West Coast University (in California) in January. I was a kinesiology major in my undergrad but I was never great at anatomy and physiology. I took movement anatomy, biomechanics, and anatomy. Each of those courses I ended up doing well in but it stressed me out incredibly. I feel like in OT school everyone is just going to know the origins, insertions, actions, and innervation like no big deal. I don't even really remember any of that stuff. So I know I need to study up on that stuff.

In OT school do they reteach that stuff at all? What concepts do they go over in these courses? Is the roll and slide concept something they go over?

Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of one school (TWU?) that doesn't go over anatomy. As far as I know, each school will go over anatomy and physiology, and put a little more stress on why it's important so that you can more easily recall the information and apply it later on down the road. The roll and slide (glide) will definitely come back when you start to talk about joint mobilizations! I was in your same boat when I started, so it can be stressful if you let it be; otherwise, just do your best to absorb as much information, and if you're not understanding something or keep forgetting, go back and learn it! I still have to refresh myself on the hand muscle innervations and I took anatomy a year ago.

I would suggest downloading Essential Anatomy to your laptop - it's an interactive 3d model that helps to paint a better picture of everything. Also, if you're artistically inclined, your anatomy and neuro classes will have a lot of pictures, so I found it helpful to get a sketchbook and re-draw everything with colors so that it's like a bound self-made study guide (if you're not that great at art, you can increase the brightness on your computer screen and just trace stuff onto paper).

I second what SLPOT says. You will cover it again, but with much more of a focus as to why it matters. OT school is all about ADL focus. If the intervention you fashion is not meaningful to the patient/client then you're doing it wrong. You have to incorporate anatomy into that picture in order to effectively fashion intervention.

There ya go.

Reactions: 1 user
My program had us take anatomy with the PT students in an immersive format. A lot of concepts were familiar, however, it was in much more detail and a lot of info all at once. Every lecture was by region and covered the bones, blood supply, innervation, and muscles. Yes, they did reteach certain concepts, however, the time given to master it was very short. My advice would be to not worry so much about it! Your program chose you because they think you will succeed. If your class is also short and intense, then I have a few recommendations to make your life a bit easier. Have a good sleep schedule before class starts and stick to it, even when there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. Know what times you are most productive at studying and make sure you study at those times. Figuring out your favorite study techniques ahead of time (i.e. drawing/labeling, charts, venn diagrams, stories, etc) will help when you have 48 hours and 30 muscles to know on top of other things. Get comfortable with the idea of feeling like you don't know enough and that there isn't enough time. Don't worry! the info will be in there, you just have to access it. Also, there will be those students who seem to get things faster than anyone else. Just keep in mind that all of you were the smartest students wherever you came from, and now that you are together in one place, there will still be that bell curve. I would ask those people to "teach me" and they were always happy to help, so no worries! Good luck in your program and enjoy your summer!

Reactions: 1 user