Study Habits and Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseyVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of study habits are more common in vet school. Do people study together more often than undergrad? I've heard some people say that you really need to have a study group; is this true?

I'm used to being pretty competitive and/or not having a lot of other people around that are, well, worth studying with, but I'm guessing that's different in vet school. I'm a little concerned about my get-along skills/desire, but I'm sure I'll decompress a little.

Since you bascially take all the same classes together does everyone pretty much stay on the same page?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

HorseyVet said:
I was just wondering what kind of study habits are more common in vet school. Do people study together more often than undergrad? I've heard some people say that you really need to have a study group; is this true?

I'm used to being pretty competitive and/or not having a lot of other people around that are, well, worth studying with, but I'm guessing that's different in vet school. I'm a little concerned about my get-along skills/desire, but I'm sure I'll decompress a little.

Since you bascially take all the same classes together does everyone pretty much stay on the same page?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

its funny that you brought this up because a couple of my friends and I were laughing about some of our class mates that have yet to lighten up and are still as hardcore as they were they day they got into vet school....

nothing irritates me more than the people in my class who are still super competitive, and think that they're smarter than everybody else (i'm in no way saying this will be you though)... There are people who are going to go into the hospital in the first week of class asking clinicians if they can scrub in on cases (which is ridiculous IMO).... Its almost as though the first month is a giant pissing match to establish the pecking order about who has the most experience, who is the best horse person, etc. And trust me - these people exist.

A word of advice... "decompress" a lot. Its hard to get yourself out of the mind set of undergrad where it is cutthroat... But everybody in your class will be successful in their own right - and you're going to find that there are going to be personality clashes because of it- i liken vet school more to that of high school actually. Life will be way easier if you sit back, chill and just take it as it comes.

as for studying - i find that after i've dont a lot of independent work, i get together with a few friends before exams and grill each other for a few hours... but i know lots of people that prefer to work on their own because they dont whish to share what they've studied with everybody else (ie: the insanely competative ppl).... some people always study in groups. You'll figure out what works best for you.

the last bit of advice i shall impart is this: drink your face off once in a while - its the BEST way to get rid of vet school stress!!! haha

I think most people study on their own here. They might get together a few times prior to the exams to quiz eachother, but generally people do their own thing. I personally can't study in the library (too many people around, nosing into others' business...and I can't stand the tension in the environment). I study alone at my desk in my room, at my own pace.

Speaking of alcohol - it's a big part of the culture here. At the end of the term, after the exams, we generally go out pubbing as a class. I don't always go, but the option is there.

Members don't see this ad :)
dvm'08 said:
its funny that you brought this up because a couple of my friends and I were laughing about some of our class mates that have yet to lighten up and are still as hardcore as they were they day they got into vet school....

nothing irritates me more than the people in my class who are still super competitive, and think that they're smarter than everybody else (i'm in no way saying this will be you though)... There are people who are going to go into the hospital in the first week of class asking clinicians if they can scrub in on cases (which is ridiculous IMO).... Its almost as though the first month is a giant pissing match to establish the pecking order about who has the most experience, who is the best horse person, etc. And trust me - these people exist.

My mentor vet did say that going to vet school is at least at first a lot like going back to highschool...even down to the "here is your list of school supplies children"

I'll probably be one of those nutty serious people. I do want to be on top of things and respected academically and otherwise by professors...but I'd rather not be a jerk either. I'm sure it does sort of sort itself out eventually. I'm also partially sure that the staff everywhere is highly aware of the social-sillies of class dynamics and hopefully can decipher who's who.

HorseyVet said:
My mentor vet did say that going to vet school is at least at first a lot like going back to highschool...even down to the "here is your list of school supplies children"

I'll probably be one of those nutty serious people. I do want to be on top of things and respected academically and otherwise by professors...but I'd rather not be a jerk either. I'm sure it does sort of sort itself out eventually. I'm also partially sure that the staff everywhere is highly aware of the social-sillies of class dynamics and hopefully can decipher who's who.

i hope for your sake, and in genuinely mean this, you aren't nutty serious and you enjoy vet school - enjoy the parties, enjoy your free time and dont go gunning for the ORs in the first week (haha)..... I've been more laid back since getting into vet school, and i am probably one of only a handful of people that dont have ulcers in my class - no joke....... I'm not insanely serious, and i'm still 2nd in my class - so i'm doing something right.

dvm'08 said:
i hope for your sake, and in genuinely mean this, you aren't nutty serious and you enjoy vet school - enjoy the parties, enjoy your free time and dont go gunning for the ORs in the first week (haha).

Is it frowned upoun to try to "hang out" in the hospital...just to see cases and learn w/e...? Kind of like just continuing shadowing and getting to know everyone...?

My dog needs to be under somewhat direct medical care so I'll need to touch base with that hospital anyway very shortly after moving, although large animal is likely where I'll want to spend my time.

HorseyVet said:
Is it frowned upoun to try to "hang out" in the hospital...just to see cases and learn w/e...? Kind of like just continuing shadowing and getting to know everyone...?

My dog needs to be under somewhat direct medical care so I'll need to touch base with that hospital anyway very shortly after moving, although large animal is likely where I'll want to spend my time.

i think the thing is, you're going to get plenty of time to "hang out' when it becomes your turn to officially be there. a lot of the 4th years get really pissed when they're struggling to get a view because a bunch of first and second years are in their way.

dvm'08 said:
i think the thing is, you're going to get plenty of time to "hang out' when it becomes your turn to officially be there. a lot of the 4th years get really pissed when they're struggling to get a view because a bunch of first and second years are in their way.

Here, you're not allowed into the clinical areas (i.e. small animal hospital, equine centre and farm animal areas) unless you're in your clinical year (final year) or you're doing some sort of scheduled practical class/tutorial. When you finally reach 5th year, you're so excited to actually be there!

dvm'08 said:

I understand in terms of surgeries etc. that there is a pecking order and that one needs to be respectful of that. At every where I interviewed though they seemed to encourage you or at least allow you to see what's going on in the hosptials...maybe they were blowing smoke...they made it sound like it wasn't a problem...

Regarding study tips, I think the most important thing is to not get behind. Many students are bright enough that they could slack off a bit in undergrad and aways catch up in time for the exam, etc. That may not work in vet. school. The content isn't hard, but the volume can be tremendous. Once you get behind, it's hard to catch up -- you don't have time to go back and learn stuff from a week ago becuase the new stuff just keeps coming.

HorseyVet said:
I understand in terms of surgeries etc. that there is a pecking order and that one needs to be respectful of that. At every where I interviewed though they seemed to encourage you or at least allow you to see what's going on in the hosptials...maybe they were blowing smoke...they made it sound like it wasn't a problem...

This is a funny thread - i laughed when i read about students coming down to the hospital in the first week to look into how they go about scrubbing in/observing surgeries etc - because its SO true... every year there are a bunch of keeners down there fighting to see who can get their foot in the door first. Its funny to watch such a giant pissing match.

Anyways - to this i'll say that they may have been trying to encourage... but in most teaching hospitals (mine included), the only people allowed on the wards, treatment areas etc are 4th years on their clinicals. They used to let all years come down and spend time in the hospital, but too many 4th years were complaining about how they weren't getting to do things, or see things that they NEEDED to see/do to graduate. The other thing, is there isn't much of a point in 1st years or 2nd years spending time observing treatments or surgeries that they haven't yet had any instruction on - it may be interesting, but your time is better spent in the anatomy lab or studying pathology (or courses you're currently taking) etc.

Your time will come - you got into vet school - the hard part is over! Now you need to breath, and let things happen as they happen.

I've studied almost constantly with another friend from class this past year, but we tend to approach studying similarly (ie. we're much more laid back than the rest of our classmates in general). I also know quite a few study groups throughout my class and several people that study by themselves.
I'd suggest trying different methods to see what works best for you. In undergrad, I studied mostly by myself in my apartment, but in vet school I meet my friend in coffee shops and we read over the notes outloud. I think many people change their study habits out of necessity to make it through vet school, so if one method doesn't seem to work for you don't worry to much and try something else.

Decompressing is definitely a plus, stressed out vet students after tests tend to show mob mentality which is a bit scary (at least in my experience :rolleyes: )

lol. Am I even in the same field of study as the rest of you? :laugh: We are strongly urged to go to the hospital and observe anything we can as soon as we can. But then most people weren't fighting to do it, a few wander over there now and again. Even the 3rd and 4th years encourage us to watch. But we are just told to stay out of the way and not get stressed when we're yelled at. I was at the hospital for a completely unrelated thing and a 3rd/ 4th year invited me to watch a llama undergoing water therapy. Granted it's a bit different than surgery, but it was quite tight in the room. I have a friend who is over there a lot to watch large animal procedures of all kinds and she's never had any problems with it.

As for studying and so forth, I still tend to study alone. I just can't study well with others, or more I just can't study outloud. There are people who study in groups a lot and some who do so just before exams. The class before mine in general is extremely cutthroat competitive but my class is a lot more cooperative. If someone finds some helpful study sites or if they type up a study guide for an exam, they'll post it on our shared drive so everyone has access to it. But there are still some people in my class that keep anything they discover to themselves. And as far as class ranking goes, some people fight for it, others don't really care.