This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

Once you all graduate, what do you do with your student scrubs? Many hospitals require certain scrubs for certain units so I was wondering what you do with the ones you can't wear anymore. Or even the ones that are too big or too small.

I'm looking for a large collection of used scrubs of all one color. Any suggestions?

Edit: They're not for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey!

Once you all graduate, what do you do with your student scrubs? Many hospitals require certain scrubs for certain units so I was wondering what you do with the ones you can't wear anymore. Or even the ones that are too big or too small.

I'm looking for a large collection of used scrubs of all one color. Any suggestions?

Edit: They're not for me.

If they're a personal pair, people just throw them they just keep them as a memento (especially if the school embroiders them; doesn't happen at my school). If they belong to the hospital (which happens most of the time), you just hand them back to the laundry room. Most hospitals I have been to don't restrict physicians' scrub color unless there is a specific color nurses wear, then they just advise against or require not wearing that color.

Also, why would your scrubs be too big or small? And as for used ones, good will is the only place I can think of.

I know there are some places that require the nurses or the physicians or students to buy their own, but tell them which brand and which color they need to buy. Like a school uniform at a private school. I'm just trying to find a place that would stick a box in a lounge or staff room and just collect them all from people who are quitting, or have gained or lost weight and have a bunch of the same color that they can't wear anymore.

I figured graduates from medical school or nursing school would be the best bet since they should have stack for clinicals or lab that they won't use once they get to internship.

I work at a place that cannot afford their own uniforms and as vital as they are to infection control practices, it's also an important part of staff morale.

Look good, feel good, play good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are some places that require the nurses or the physicians or students to buy their own, but tell them which brand and which color they need to buy. Like a school uniform at a private school. I'm just trying to find a place that would stick a box in a lounge or staff room and just collect them all from people who are quitting, or have gained or lost weight and have a bunch of the same color that they can't wear anymore.

I figured graduates from medical school or nursing school would be the best bet since they should have stack for clinicals or lab that they won't use once they get to internship.

I work at a place that cannot afford their own uniforms and as vital as they are to infection control practices, it's also an important part of staff morale.

Look good, feel good, play good.

Well good luck. I never worked at a hospital where they didn't give out scrubs to anyone who asked (most buy their own just because the free ones aren't as comfortable) or restricted beyond color for non-physicians.

At the end of anatomy we donated our scrubs to a homeless shelter (after having them sterilized). Any time I want or need scrubs, I just have to flash my ID badge in the hospital, they ask my size, ask if I have a color preference and I'm on my way in 2 minutes.

I'm not sure you're going to find what you're looking for. Most hospitals provide scrubs for their medical staff so that everything can be returned and cleaned by the industrial washing machines (running bodily fluids thorough your washing machine at home is gross). Some people keep some at home for personal pajama use, but scrub vending machines (where you get a certain number of credits, and need to return scrubs to get another pair) are increasing in popularity for this reason.

The only people I know who buy their own scrubs are nursing students because they need a special color or veterinary staff/students because they usually don't work at big hospitals - after graduation, the usually just resell to younger students or keep the old scrubs as pajamas.

If you need random scrubs, try goodwill or just buy your own.

Reactions: 1 user
I am confused about your goal here? Are you wanting these for your own use?
Nope, I said in the previous posts that they are for a facility that I work for that can't afford their own uniforms so we are trying to make do with scrub tops.

And if buying them was an option I wouldn't be going through this headache!
There are few sites that donate scrubs to developing countries (so I know it's possible!) but they won't cooperate with me because I either don't live in the state that they serve or they want to send a much larger shipment of supplies than just 50 scrub tops.

That's the kind of place I'm looking for!

Well you can try a med school then but they would need serious cleaning and not be in the best shape by any means. Though to be honest, the scrubs we were given for anatomy were on their last legs because they knew we were going to throw them out afterwards. It was funny because almost everyone's anatomy scrubs were branded with other hospitals' names that our school wasn't even affiliated with (the reject scrubs).

Even if they're a mess you'd be amazed what people can do with them in Africa. They've repurposed all kinds of donations. One of these days I should post how they've made wheel chairs out of normal chairs and bicycles. Some even propel themselves using bicycle pedals as hand pedals...polio's still a big deal.

It's the fabric that's expensive. And I could just look for money to make them in Africa, but that adds a whole other layer of difficulty.

I'm just looking around to see if I can collect 50 tops of the same color that I can have embroidered with the organization's logo that will help with infection control and give the workers a sense of pride coming to work. If they're proud of their job, they'll do a better job, ya dig?

We just use OR scrubs from the machine. You swipe your card, put the old pair in, take a new pair out.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if they're a mess you'd be amazed what people can do with them in Africa. They've repurposed all kinds of donations. One of these days I should post how they've made wheel chairs out of normal chairs and bicycles. Some even propel themselves using bicycle pedals as hand pedals...polio's still a big deal.

It's the fabric that's expensive. And I could just look for money to make them in Africa, but that adds a whole other layer of difficulty.

I'm just looking around to see if I can collect 50 tops of the same color that I can have embroidered with the organization's logo that will help with infection control and give the workers a sense of pride coming to work. If they're proud of their job, they'll do a better job, ya dig?
You probably need to try to get a company to just donate it my friend or have some kind of fundraiser to buy them. I think you're going to have trouble getting 50 identical scrubs together.