Can I wear a scrub cap during all my clinical rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby520

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I have a question about my hair. I have lost most of my hair due to a medical condition since I was little. As a girl, I was self-conscious about my baldness and I usually wore a solid black scrub cap during my work at the hospital. I am starting an MD program this year. Sad thing is, if I was a boy, I probably wouldn't care about being bald in my clinical rotation. But as a girl, I really didn't feel comfortable being bald in social situations. I have left 2 options, a wig or a cap, however, wearing a wig for long hours is very uncomfortable, and my scalp often gets really itchy after a couple of hours. If I wear a cap, I worry about affecting my clinical scores and being perceived as unprofessional. Any advice? Will I be looked down on if I explain it to my clinical supervisor? I feel ashamed for asking for special treatment, but I really didn't choose to be sick, to be bald. Please help! Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
What did you do in college? What are you planning to do when you start MS1?
I can’t say I understand your feelings but I think if you are true to yourself and do what you have always done it will be fine. By the time you get to your clinical years I doubt anyone will think anything about it. I have had friends who lost their hair from chemo and they wore scarfs and headbands . Maybe try those or get surgical caps that match your outfits. What ever you are comfortable with will be fine. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine it has to be difficult to have this part of who you are be readily apparent to anyone who comes into contact with you.

Regardless, since this is going to be something that you have to deal with throughout your career, the best advice I can give you is to just decide how you are going to address it and become comfortable in that decision. If you don't want to wear a wig, then don't. Either own being bald, or own wearing a scrub cap (or other covering). Decide if you feel the need to explain yourself to supervisors, or not. There is no right or wrong answer, so the only person you need to make comfortable with your decision is yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lovely scarves chemo patients wear. Something to consider. I would not wear an OR hat outside of the OR.
Since COVID, many docs and nurses wear a skull cap (usually cloth) all day at work outside the OR setting in the hospital. Not sure if anyone in clinic is doing that.

I will echo the head scarf idea. Chemo patients and some religious affiliations have head coverings of different sorts. You can look online for something you deem fashionable and for the most part no one will ask you about your head covering except in OR where you can change it to a scrub cap.

Ditto the above. So many nurses and doctors wear scrub caps outside of the OR. I did as a nurse sometimes. The N95s can be brutal on your hair so it’s a lot easier to keep in away and covered. I don’t think anyone would mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Head scarf. People will be extremely unlikely to ask you questions or comment on it at all. If they do, would own it and say you have hair loss from a medical condition that makes you uncomfortable. That will almost certainly end the conversation in your favor.

Surgical caps will not work well on non inpatient medical services I would think.