Student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTPuser

DPM, FACFAS, WAP
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if you folks can give some recommendations on how to tackle this.

I have 377K, all direct which will qualify for PSLF and I'll be a resident at a state hospital. Wanted to get started on that process if I can to offload 3 out of the 10 years.

The calc shows a 6.8% if were to consolidate and my amount will still be 377K. Should I consolidate or no?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to do PSLF is to first, consolidate all your federal loans to Mohela. Mohela is the only one that will qualify you for PSLF. It’s a long application processing time so start it soon. Once Mohela receives your loan then there’s paperwork you have GME fill out yearly to confirm you are a employee/reisdent at a participating non profit org. From there, just apply for some type of income based repayment, even a monthly payment of 200-300 will count as one out of 120 total payments needed for PSLF. You can set it to auto-debit so you won’t forget or miss a payment. Obviously the more payments you can make under IBR at a low salary will benefit because once you make it big and slaying $750k a year, your monthly payments will skyrocket but those payments still count towards PSLF as long as your employer isn’t a PP shmuck.

God speed my friend. Fight for the coveted job and start networking day 1 of residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Yep... great advice above. The hard part will be getting a PSLF job... always there if you want them for MDs, pretty rare for podiatry.

You can only make one payment per month... do not miss any during residency. Your IBR payments will be at least $2k or $3k/mo or so once out of training (any job that works for PSLF has that income).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only way to do PSLF is to first, consolidate all your federal loans to Mohela. Mohela is the only one that will qualify you for PSLF. It’s a long application processing time so start it soon. Once Mohela receives your loan then there’s paperwork you have GME fill out yearly to confirm you are a employee/reisdent at a participating non profit org. From there, just apply for some type of income based repayment, even a monthly payment of 200-300 will count as one out of 120 total payments needed for PSLF. You can set it to auto-debit so you won’t forget or miss a payment. Obviously the more payments you can make under IBR at a low salary will benefit because once you make it big and slaying $750k a year, your monthly payments will skyrocket but those payments still count towards PSLF as long as your employer isn’t a PP shmuck.

God speed my friend. Fight for the coveted job and start networking day 1 of residency.

This might be something I'd have to call the loan service company to be sure but I read online that one doesn't need to consolidate to qualify for PSLF, no?

I have like 12 different loans disbursement but thankfully they're all direct so they should qualify.

Some people were telling me it might be worse to consolidate but I genuinely don't know.

Yep... great advice above. The hard part will be getting a PSLF job... always there if you want them for MDs, pretty rare for podiatry.

You can only make one payment per month... do not miss any during residency. Your IBR payments will be at least $2k or $3k/mo or so once out of training (any job that works for PSLF has that income).
Also sounds weird, but pretty sure you can never make more than a minimum payment also or those payments don’t count. I am fairly certain most need to consolidate.

Learn all the fine print for all this and do not depend on the internet.

Reactions: 1 user
This might be something I'd have to call the loan service company to be sure but I read online that one doesn't need to consolidate to qualify for PSLF, no?

I have like 12 different loans disbursement but thankfully they're all direct so they should qualify.

Some people were telling me it might be worse to consolidate but I genuinely don't know.

As far as I know you have to consolidate. I did it last year and luckily all the Covid pause and residency years counted plus a few years of working at my MSG shaved off 6 years. I have 4 years left of IBR payments, ya it’s high right now but it’s only up to a certain percentage even if high income.

Last edited:
The current system to pay based on income is 10%. This is what I do. It’s comfortable enough for me. I can do this for a couple decades honestly and I’m fine with that.

Do not expect to get a job on graduation that qualifies you for loan forgiveness. I don’t see myself making over 250k to where I’ll actually have the ability to pay them off otherwise.

But I also do TFP/lobster work and that’s my jam. I’m not trying to shoot for the stars. My work life balance is perfect and happy.

Last edited:
Also OP. Let’s say you work for a crummy PP job - high likelihood, sorry being honest. You can get on privileges/staff at your local area hospitals and usually the HR will sign off on your PSLF verification form too even if you’re not employed there but maybe take call/do cases/on medical staff there. So you can be working for a non profit PP but have privileges with a non profit hospital and as long as they sign off on your yearly verification PSLF form you’re golden.

Your pay may suck. Life will suck. But at least IBR on a crappy salary is minimal and making 120 payments of those as long as whatever local area hospital you’re on staff at will sign off your verification forms then you’ll be okay

• Love
Haha, I am absolutely not expecting to get a loan forgiveness job after residency. I've been on this forum long enough to stop dreaming.

My philosophy is since my program technically qualifies for PSLF might as well take advantage of the opportunity now to shave off some of that and maybe, just maybe my future employer will qualify and that will knock 3 out of the 10 years.

I'll be at a HCOL area and technically could use every cents instead of paying off loans during residency but I really want to get this debt off my chest cause it's stressing me out and I need a good game plan.

Also OP. Let’s say you work for a crummy PP job - high likelihood, sorry being honest. You can get on privileges/staff at your local area hospitals and usually the HR will sign off on your PSLF verification form too even if you’re not employed there but maybe take call/do cases/on medical staff there. So you can be working for a non profit PP but have privileges with a non profit hospital and as long as they sign off on your yearly verification PSLF form you’re golden.

Your pay may suck. Life will suck. But at least IBR on a crappy salary is minimal and making 120 payments of those as long as whatever local area hospital you’re on staff at will sign off your verification forms then you’ll be okay
I was under the impression had to be full time at a nonprofit? No?

I am very serious with this reply even if it doesn't seem so. I would give up my US citizenship and then return through the Mexico border as an illegal immigrant. Take up a trade job under a new name and identity. This process may take 1-2 years but will save more than you can make with any podiatry salary.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
The required hours is 30 hrs / week.
Do I really need to spell everything out. Pull up the PSLF verification form. Yes it asks for hours. Just put 30 hours. 40 hours. Whatever floats your boat. Yes you are not employed at XYZ hospital but you are on staff there. Just send to HR and 50/50 they may sign off on it because I doubt they know. Worked for me. Worked for my friends that are in PP

Do I really need to spell everything out. Pull up the PSLF verification form. Yes it asks for hours. Just put 30 hours. 40 hours. Whatever floats your boat. Yes you are not employed at XYZ hospital but you are on staff there. Just send to HR and 50/50 they may sign off on it because I doubt they know. Worked for me. Worked for my friends that are in PP

Doc, I'm aware lol. I'm just answering the poster above.

Bold move, never thought of doing that. However, I cover one nursing home, and every 10 weeks I go to the health clinic they put us up in and see a blank death certificate. I'm always a little tempted to take one home, fill it out and send to my student loan provider. All loans are then dispersed and really how much additional homework are they going to do if they have a copy of the death certificate? Unfortunately I would not do well in jail, so I will continue to toil.

• Haha