Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And you can use the parking lot for running too. ;)

Hahahaha very true but some days it's just so freaking cold out. Especially since the only time I have to run is in the morning, my limit is 18 F, if it's below that I'm staying inside lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is interesting haha, So seems like most of you spending that much time at the gym are lifters right? So you're doing sets and taking ~3 min breaks in between each set and that's probably why you're at the gym for a while. BUT, you could just not take 3 minute breaks, what if you only took a 1 minute break in between sets? Yes you're gonna burn out much faster and you're probably going to do a lot less because you're getting tired faster, but taking shorter breaks means you'll be pushing through while you're fatigued which should increase your endurance and eventually make you stronger (at least that's what I thought). That's personally why I'm done after 30 mins because I'm pushing till I'm at muscle failure.

Am I right or totally off?
Didn't read what everyone else said, but the number 1 most important factor in building muscle is total volume. If you're taking very short rest times, you wont be able to lift for as many strength-building reps. Also important is metabolic stress / "pump", which is washed out if rest times are too long. So need to balance. 2-3 minutes is ideal for me, except on squat or dl.

Reactions: 1 users
Planning on starting my cut this month. Any advice for maintaining muscle mass while cutting? BCAAs? Keto? Fasting? Also, what should I be aiming for in my workout plan vs my current workouts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on starting my cut this month. Any advice for maintaining muscle mass while cutting? BCAAs? Keto? Fasting? Also, what should I be aiming for in my workout plan vs my current workouts?
You might lose a tiny bit of muscle regardless, not something to worry about IMO. I do intermittent fasting normally, and it's easy to adopt into a cut routine since you basically cut out 1 meal (breakfast for me) already. Try to keep the workouts close to the same- you'll probably notice a drop in some lifts but that's normal. Maybe drop the intensity a bit if you're feeling lightheaded or weak.

You might lose a tiny bit of muscle regardless, not something to worry about IMO. I do intermittent fasting normally, and it's easy to adopt into a cut routine since you basically cut out 1 meal (breakfast for me) already. Try to keep the workouts close to the same- you'll probably notice a drop in some lifts but that's normal. Maybe drop the intensity a bit if you're feeling lightheaded or weak.

I've heard you're supposed to drop reps but try to maintain weight. Any thoughts on that tradeoff?

I've heard you're supposed to drop reps but try to maintain weight. Any thoughts on that tradeoff?

Keep volume and weight the same on your main lifts. I prefer to cut volume on accessory lifts if I started getting really tired. But as long as you get adequate sleep on don't cut on a massive deficit you should be fine.

Up protein to 1-1.25g/lb a day, eat adequate carbs, and you should be fine. I cut on around 200g pro 300 carb 50 fat

I've literally never had a successful cut. Just keep getting fatter. Perma-bulk for life.

Reactions: 2 users
I've literally never had a successful cut. Just keep getting fatter. Perma-bulk for life.
Funny, I actually tried cutting this week. I lasted for like 3 days on 1500kcal. Pretty happy where I'm at in terms of bodyfat, no physique is worth giving up my food.

I cut once last year before my season started to take a little weight off my knees, and actually felt like I looked bigger. It's amazing what an optical illusion being lean is.

But I normally have to push myself to hit my 3800 cal goals, so cutting is actually kind of a relief for me.

Funny, I actually tried cutting this week. I lasted for like 3 days on 1500kcal. Pretty happy where I'm at in terms of bodyfat, no physique is worth giving up my food.
I've been on 1500kcal/day for about a month now. Obviously not working out as much (read: at all) as initially due to the injuries, but hey 7lbs in a month is 7lbs in a month.

OMG you just gave me life :love: I just called the closest one to me and they have all that plus an indoor track, jacuzzi, juice bar. I'm switching over next week! Thank you :clap:

Lol great! I love the jacuzzi. Nice to relax after a work out. Good stress reliever too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't pre meditate cheat days. I know some people live for cheat days to get through their week, but it can very detrimental to your regimen.

If I slip, I add on cardio to balance it out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, I guess I'll join this thread to keep me accountable. I work out 5 days a week as it is, but my wife and I recently decided to get back into running. I used to do marathons and did a Ragnar a few years ago. We want to do a triathlon now, so it's back to running for me.

I haven't biked in a while and haven't even been in a pool since dive school, so that part will be fun. :/ But it's PRT season, so good a time as any to start.

Well, I guess I'll join this thread to keep me accountable. I work out 5 days a week as it is, but my wife and I recently decided to get back into running. I used to do marathons and did a Ragnar a few years ago. We want to do a triathlon now, so it's back to running for me.

I haven't biked in a while and haven't even been in a pool since dive school, so that part will be fun. :/ But it's PRT season, so good a time as any to start.
I think a triathlon will go on my bucket list.

The thing for me is finding time to exercise with work and school.

Hey guys I know it'll be hard to figure this out over the Internet but I think I'm squatting wrong. I've been feeling some weird pain/pressure to my lateral right knee that usually starts like a few days after I do legs. Could this be from going too deep? I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong and I've watched a few videos to try to get down form and I feel like I'm doing what they say to do.

Hey guys I know it'll be hard to figure this out over the Internet but I think I'm squatting wrong. I've been feeling some weird pain/pressure to my lateral right knee that usually starts like a few days after I do legs. Could this be from going too deep? I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong and I've watched a few videos to try to get down form and I feel like I'm doing what they say to do.

Make sure you are breaking at your hips. Make sure your knees aren't caving in. Try foam rolling your quads and hip flexor because knee pain can be caused by tight muscles. It's hard to tell you what you are doing wrong without seeing it. But if the pain doesn't go away just stop squatting until you figure it out, working through the pain is a bad move.

How fast do you go up?

My issue with squats is that my knee can't even really pass my toes when I'm going down for a squat. Causes my foot to rotate 30 degrees or so and legs needs to be shoulder length or further apart. I've seen a little bit of improvement in my ankle flexibility which I suspect is the issue and I think it might be helping but any suggestions for a good ankle mobility/flexibility exercise?

Make sure you are breaking at your hips. Make sure your knees aren't caving in. Try foam rolling your quads and hip flexor because knee pain can be caused by tight muscles. It's hard to tell you what you are doing wrong without seeing it. But if the pain doesn't go away just stop squatting until you figure it out, working through the pain is a bad move.
Thanks for the tips! Yeah I used a foam roller today so I'll see if that helps. But if not I'm gonna hold off on them for a while.

Depends on the weight but usually when I'm warming up pretty fast. Could that be it?
Try squatting with no bar and explode up and squeeze, I bet you will feel your lateral sides contract as well (well you will all round the knee and quads). That could be the issue.
I would stop going too fast on the warm ups. I see young guys starting off with 135 and going up and down fast, and I'm like man take care of those knees. My knees feel like an old guy now. :( Make sure your stance is solid.

My issue with squats is that my knee can't even really pass my toes when I'm going down for a squat. Causes my foot to rotate 30 degrees or so and legs needs to be shoulder length or further apart. I've seen a little bit of improvement in my ankle flexibility which I suspect is the issue and I think it might be helping but any suggestions for a good ankle mobility/flexibility exercise?
Ultimate-Guide-To-Proper-Powerlifting-Squat-Form-Foot-Angle.png

30 degrees out is the ideal stance, bro. I think Layne Norton once said that you should squeeze your glutes and see how much your feet move apart. I tried it, but I went a little bit wider for my preference.

Any tips on increasing shoulder flexibility? Anyone else have issues with the concentric motion of the bench press? I get stuck right off the chest.

Any tips on increasing shoulder flexibility? Anyone else have issues with the concentric motion of the bench press? I get stuck right off the chest.
Band pull aparts and face pulls.

To fix weakness off the chest, learn to incorporate leg drive into the movement and start doing paused bench presses

Update:

finished my first cycle of 5/3/1, after a long cut. Here's my progress:

Lifts as of 2/27/17
Squat: 280
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 330

Lifts as of 3/30/17. Made sure to get 8 hours of sleep, eat a good surplus and recover as much as possible

Squat: 312
Bench:300
Deadlift:350

Its likely that my lifts jumped because I used to be stronger and the cut weakened me a bit. Usually its easier to gain strength that was lost than it is to reach new highs. That being said, my squat is shaping up better than it ever has been and I don't feel constantly burned out like I do on 5 x 5 programs (I just can't recover from that volume at high weights)

I'll keep y'all posted, I have the state championship meet coming up in may!

Update:

finished my first cycle of 5/3/1, after a long cut. Here's my progress:

Lifts as of 2/27/17
Squat: 280
Bench: 275
Deadlift: 330

Lifts as of 3/30/17. Made sure to get 8 hours of sleep, eat a good surplus and recover as much as possible

Squat: 312
Bench:300
Deadlift:350

Its likely that my lifts jumped because I used to be stronger and the cut weakened me a bit. Usually its easier to gain strength that was lost than it is to reach new highs. That being said, my squat is shaping up better than it ever has been and I don't feel constantly burned out like I do on 5 x 5 programs (I just can't recover from that volume at high weights)

I'll keep y'all posted, I have the state championship meet coming up in may!

Just out of curiosity how much weight did you lose in the cut?

Just out of curiosity how much weight did you lose in the cut?
Started the cut around 230 pounds.

I cut down to maybe 200 on purpose. Then after I ended the official cut I started swimming more often because I wanted to get the cardiovascular benefits (I never did cardio before last year, and decided that I needed to start worrying about my heart health) With that additional cardio I probably dropped down to around 190-195 without dieting much.

I decided I wanted to bulk up for the meet so I've been eating 3,000+ calories a day. I'm sitting around 205-210 bodyweight right now. I'm gonna bulk up for one more cycle of 5/3/1 and then do a really quick cut in order to make the 205 weight class for the meet.

Okay I really need to tell somebody what I saw today and maybe I'm just being judgmental but it was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while.

I live in the burbs, went running this morning as usual, and saw this guy that I always see running frequently except this time, he had his cat on a leash. Now I've seen people with cat's on a leash before so I'll admit that I think it's odd but I also know nothing about owning a cat, what their needs are nor do I desire to, so at first I paid it no mind. But then I realized this guy was trying to RUN with the cat. :eek: And it's not like it was one of those Savannah cats, this cat was NOT having it. He would start running and after 4 meters the cat would stop, and then he started trying to drag the cat to get it to run. And then he picked up the cat and started running holding the cat in his arms I was like bruhhhh.....

Again, maybe I'm just ignorant, but that was absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have seen all month :laugh: If you want to walk the cat then fine, but I've never known cats as being active runners, only time I see a cat running is when it's chasing something or running away from something.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay I really need to tell somebody what I saw today and maybe I'm just being judgmental but it was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while.

I live in the burbs, went running this morning as usual, and saw this guy that I always see running frequently except this time, he had his cat on a leash. Now I've seen people with cat's on a leash before so I'll admit that I think it's odd but I also know nothing about owning a cat, what their needs are nor do I desire to, so at first I paid it no mind. But then I realized this guy was trying to RUN with the cat. :eek: And it's not like it was one of those Savannah cats, this cat was NOT having it. He would start running and after 4 meters the cat would stop, and then he started trying to drag the cat to get it to run. And then he picked up the cat and started running holding the cat in his arms I was like bruhhhh.....

Again, maybe I'm just ignorant, but that was absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have seen all month :laugh: If you want to walk the cat then fine, but I've never known cats as being active runners, only time I see a cat running is when it's chasing something or running away from something.
I would 100% have called the police.

Hi everyone! I'm going to be starting med school in August and am trying to get into some sort of exercise routine before I get there (its pretty sporadic now). My struggle is that I was a division 1 athlete in undergrad, so I always had practice/running/lifting set in my day, and now that I have to fit it in myself, I'm finding it harder to find the time (I work full time). I also associate exercise with having to do it, instead of wanting to do it. I did a half marathon last year hoping I would rediscover my love for running, but unfortunately that didn't work haha. I'm just struggling with enjoying exercise since I've always associated it with really hard workouts with my team back in undergrad. I guess I'm having trouble finding something I truly enjoy, because I was so used it being tough and for my sport. Any advice or tips would help!! Thanks!!!

Keep your workouts the same, don't decrease your lifting volume if you want to maintain muscle. The biggest things are to only drop the calories enough to lose no more than about 1lb/ week and to try and get as much protein as you can throughout the day while maintain that caloric deficit. High protein+ continued weight training+ gradual weight loss= least strength reduction. Chicken breast, fish, green vegetables, eggs/ egg whites, plain greek yogurt, protein powder and cottage cheese are all your friend.

If you are lifting on an empty stomach BCAAS can be nice but they are also expensive.

Must of been Jason Genova. :laugh:

PSA: This is why we don't skip leg day ;)
I've always had a poverty squat. I squatted 3x per week for 4 years on the allpro beginner routine!

Now that I've got my form dialed in the squats have been feeling better and shooting up, I hit 325 squat today!

I've always had a poverty squat. I squatted 3x per week for 4 years on the allpro beginner routine!

Now that I've got my form dialed in the squats have been feeling better and shooting up, I hit 325 squat today!
Haha I feel you man I'm the same way with benching. I'm at like a 305 squat with a ~370DL but only like 220 on the bench.

Hi everyone! I'm going to be starting med school in August and am trying to get into some sort of exercise routine before I get there (its pretty sporadic now). My struggle is that I was a division 1 athlete in undergrad, so I always had practice/running/lifting set in my day, and now that I have to fit it in myself, I'm finding it harder to find the time (I work full time). I also associate exercise with having to do it, instead of wanting to do it. I did a half marathon last year hoping I would rediscover my love for running, but unfortunately that didn't work haha. I'm just struggling with enjoying exercise since I've always associated it with really hard workouts with my team back in undergrad. I guess I'm having trouble finding something I truly enjoy, because I was so used it being tough and for my sport. Any advice or tips would help!! Thanks!!!

Hey! So I totally get where you're coming from. I played sports and worked out for fun in my college days, but then became a reservist and really started to dread working out... but now I'm able to scoop up enough motivation to run at least 5x a week so I'll give you a few pointers of what I personally did and maybe some of the lifters on here will chime in too.
  • I use pre-workout (C4). Everybody reacts differently to this stuff though so I'd do some research first. FOR ME: It makes my fingers, toes and basically every part of my body to tingle like crazy; it also hypes me up mentally and gets me amped. So the combination of those 2 things forces me to HAVE to move and do something because I'm uncomfortable being still. An alternative with similar results is drinking coffee or taking caffeine pills.
  • Most people listen to music, I like listening to podcasts because actually thinking about something else helps keep my mind off of the workout I'm doing. Plus if its an informative podcast then I'll feel like I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. I dabble between the short coat podcast, the pre-med years, TED talks, undifferentiated medical student, the former and latter would be most relevant to you but theres so many, just find what you like.
  • Find a workout buddy. Planning to go to the gym with another person who frequently goes will help keep you accountable. It's easy to bail on yourself, but you'll feel more guilty bailing on another person.
And just generally speaking, if you don't like running/lifting because thats all that you're used to doing, then maybe just don't run or lift. Have you thought about taking up swimming? Maybe cycling would be a good idea too as it can be kinda relaxing, rock climbing is also pretty cool and you really do work your arms, 30 mins in and your forearms will be on fire.

It's really about starting. The first 2-3 days are going to suck because you haven't done anything so everything will be sore and aching but just stick through it and at the end of the week you'll have a regimen and you'll be feeling better.

Do any of you guys watch the parody videos that 2 Scoops makes about Rich Piana?

If you can find a band, this is good for stretching the ankles.

As much as I may not like crossfit personally, you could look for a gym that gives more regimented classes. It gives a good community of support and helps keep you accountable. Working out solo can suck, having a team to train with can make it better.

I'm a weightlifter so I train with a competitive weightlifting team and it's helped me keep on track and strengthen my lifts while getting leaner.

Down 9.4lbs! 10lbs club here I come!

Reactions: 5 users
  • Most people listen to music, I like listening to podcasts because actually thinking about something else helps keep my mind off of the workout I'm doing. Plus if its an informative podcast then I'll feel like I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. I dabble between the short coat podcast, the pre-med years, TED talks, undifferentiated medical student, the former and latter would be most relevant to you but theres so many, just find what you like.

I've tried to listen to podcasts/lectures during lifting workouts for years without success so I'm extremely jealous you can do this. I end up not focusing on what they're saying and then when I really try to, my workout suffers... Don't think I've ever tried it with cardio though so might give that a shot.

Always seen working out/exercising as my way and daily opportunity to take a break from everything else in my life and putting on a playlist of music helps with it.

I've tried to listen to podcasts/lectures during lifting workouts for years without success so I'm extremely jealous you can do this. I end up not focusing on what they're saying and then when I really try to, my workout suffers... Don't think I've ever tried it with cardio though so might give that a shot.

Always seen working out/exercising as my way and daily opportunity to take a break from everything else in my life and putting on a playlist of music helps with it.

Same. I'll listen to audiobooks if I'm doing LISS cardio but other than that I have to focus on the workout.

I'm a big fan of NPR's wait wait don't tell me podcast when I run. They're like 40 minutes each and it makes it go by so fast.