Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anything past "Advanced lifter" is strong: Weightlifting Strength Standards - Strength Level
I would put anyone above intermediate as strong...

Elite is gonna be the top 1% of population, the guys that set world records and compete globally

Advanced is probably the top 5-10%, these are the guys that win local competitions

Intermediate is probably top 20-25, these guys compete locally and may win once in a while.

*edit* meant percentage of gen population and not just lifters.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Elite is gonna be the top 1% of lifters, the guys that set world records and compete globally

Advanced is probably the top 5-10%, these are the guys that win local competitions

Intermediate is probably top 20-25, these guys compete locally and may win once in a while.

I disagree with the first one. Elite are the ones who are winning local competitions and maybe low level national competitions. High level national competitors and world level competitors should have a class of their own. For example, I have a close friend who weighs ~136, squats 410 and is top 20 in the nation in his sport. The cut off for someone his weight to be elite is 360 squat.

Elite is gonna be the top 1% of lifters, the guys that set world records and compete globally

Intermediate was defined as 50%+, advanced 20%+

I disagree with the first one. Elite are the ones who are winning local competitions and maybe low level national competitions. High level national competitors and world level competitors should have a class of their own. For example, I have a close friend who weighs ~136, squats 410 and is top 20 in the nation in his sport. The cut off for someone his weight to be elite is 360 squat.
Not a cutoff, but the beginning of a new training class.

It's not like a 360 squat is elite and anything higher doesn't count. These are more ranges than static numbers.

For example: an intermediate male squatter of 200lb bodyweight will squat anywhere from say 250-330 pounds.

Even with the example of your friend, he is within 50 pounds of the elite "zone", which has no high end because it includes world records set every year by elite lifters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not a cutoff, but the beginning of a new training class.

It's not like a 360 squat is elite and anything higher doesn't count. These are more ranges than static numbers.

For example: an intermediate male squatter of 200lb bodyweight will squat anywhere from say 250-330 pounds.

Even with the example of your friend, he is within 50 pounds of the elite cutoff, which has no high end because it includes world records set every year by elite lifters.

Ahhhh I see your point. In that case, I agree.

Ahhhh I see your point. In that case, I agree.

Obviously there is variation and we need to pay attention as to whether or not these numbers are for raw or equipped lifts.

A heavy duty squat suit can add literally hundreds of pounds to a squat. A good bench shirt will add at the very least 75-150 pounds to the lifter's max. Equipped powerlifting is not about pure strength so much as training your body to utilize the equipment to the fullest. An equipped bencher will have massive triceps because they become the main muscle group used in the movement (the shirt takes a lot of effort off of the pecs). A raw bencher will have a huge chest and shoulders because they need to utilize these muscles to explode the weight out of the bottom position.

For raw lifters I think these numbers are a good estimation but there will always be freaks. But anyone who is able to bench press 400+ pounds unequipped is definitely going to be competing on the national stage if not international.

Obviously there is variation and we need to pay attention as to whether or not these numbers are for raw or equipped lifts.

A heavy duty squat suit can add literally hundreds of pounds to a squat. A good bench shirt will add at the very least 75-150 pounds to the lifter's max. Equipped powerlifting is not about pure strength so much as training your body to utilize the equipment to the fullest. An equipped bencher will have massive triceps because they become the main muscle group used in the movement (the shirt takes a lot of effort off of the pecs). A raw bencher will have a huge chest and shoulders because they need to utilize these muscles to explode the weight out of the bottom position.

For raw lifters I think these numbers are a good estimation but there will always be freaks. But anyone who is able to bench press 400+ pounds unequipped is definitely going to be competing on the national stage if not international.

Fair enough. My buddy is a non-geared lifter and does not compete in power lifting, but I see your point. I've actually never used a squat suit, but man do they look uncomfortable. Only things I use are belt and knee wraps (light ones that only keep my knees warm and give very light support) when things are getting heavy or my knees are hurting.

Fair enough. My buddy is a non-geared lifter and does not compete in power lifting, but I see your point. I've actually never used a squat suit, but man do they look uncomfortable. Only things I use are belt and knee wraps (light ones that only keep my knees warm and give very light support) when things are getting heavy or my knees are hurting.
I've never used a squat suit, they seem like a claustrophobic nightmare! I've seen guys on my team have to literally HANG the squat suit from the pullup bar and then hop in feet first, letting gravity slowly pull the suit up to normal position. Then they have to waddle over to the squat rack since they cant bend at the hip without at least 200 pounds on their backs :laugh:

I have used a bench shirt once in training and I hated it. It's so tight and uncomfy, but holy crap could I bench more weight.

To put this into perspective, I loaded the bar with 275pounds (my normal competition maximum) and then tried to bench it. The shirt was so stiff, I was physically unable to lower the weight to my chest, I had to literally ROW the weight down with my back. As soon as I relaxed my back the weight shot back up to mid-rep height, and I used my triceps to lock it out.

It was cool but I really don't consider that a "real" lift because the shirt did 90% of the work.

What kind of belt do you use? I'm looking for a new one.

Elite is gonna be the top 1% of population, the guys that set world records and compete globally

*edit* meant percentage of gen population and not just lifters.
You're saying I could win local competitions?!?
I'm right around 190 pounds and bench 3 plates, DL over 4. I just lift for fun...

I've never used a squat suit, they seem like a claustrophobic nightmare! I've seen guys on my team have to literally HANG the squat suit from the pullup bar and then hop in feet first, letting gravity slowly pull the suit up to normal position. Then they have to waddle over to the squat rack since they cant bend at the hip without at least 200 pounds on their backs :laugh:

I have used a bench shirt once in training and I hated it. It's so tight and uncomfy, but holy crap could I bench more weight.

To put this into perspective, I loaded the bar with 275pounds (my normal competition maximum) and then tried to bench it. The shirt was so stiff, I was physically unable to lower the weight to my chest, I had to literally ROW the weight down with my back. As soon as I relaxed my back the weight shot back up to mid-rep height, and I used my triceps to lock it out.

It was cool but I really don't consider that a "real" lift because the shirt did 90% of the work.

What kind of belt do you use? I'm looking for a new one.

Jesus that sounds intense. I've seen the bruising some people get from it, which is insane too.

I currently use a Harbinger belt because I do lots of high bar ass to grass type squatting in romaleos.

When I was doing lots of low bar I used a Inzer forever lever belt. Super sturdy and work very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're saying I could win local competitions?!?
I'm right around 190 pounds and bench 3 plates, DL over 4. I just lift for fun...
Yeah honestly man, in a raw federation you have a chance to at least place top 5.

I don't know what your form is like, but if you can hit those numbers while meeting IPF form guidelines (bench is paused, squat has a depth requirement and knee lockout, deadlift has no hitching and requires knee/back lockout)

Then yeah.

Start competing man, it's fun!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah honestly man, in a raw federation you have a chance to at least place top 5.

I don't know what your form is like, but if you can hit those numbers while meeting IPF form guidelines (bench is paused, squat has a depth requirement and knee lockout, deadlift has no hitching and requires knee/back lockout)

Then yeah.

Start competing man, it's fun!
Do they do competitions for a specific lift? like is there a competition for highest bench press in a certain weight class? Or is it groups of lifts? Unfortunately I never try to max my squat because of an uncomfortable vein issue I don't want to delve into:lame:
But for bent row for example I've never tried to max but just this morning I was doing 8 rep sets with 225, so I think I could go way beyond that Advanced cutoff for 1RM (260) IDK how good my form is though..
For DL I don't hitch and I lock out my back/ knees and hit right around the advanced cut off weight
For Bench how long does the pause have to be? I don't think I've tried waited around for very long at the bottom of my bench when maxing haha

I may look into this though thanks for the encouragement

Do they do competitions for a specific lift? like is there a competition for highest bench press in a certain weight class? Or is it groups of lifts? Unfortunately I never try to max my squat because of an uncomfortable vein issue I don't want to delve into:lame:
But for bent row for example I've never tried to max but just this morning I was doing 8 rep sets with 225, so I think I could go way beyond that Advanced cutoff for 1RM (260) IDK how good my form is though..
For DL I don't hitch and I lock out my back/ knees and hit right around the advanced cut off weight
For Bench how long does the pause have to be? I don't think I've tried waited around for very long at the bottom of my bench when maxing haha

There's powerlifting in which you'll compete in a weight class in squat, bench press, and deadlift (can be sumo or conventional).

There's also olympic weightlifting which competes in snatch and clean & jerk. For that, I would definitely recommend a coach though.

Lucky for you the USAPL & IPF federations both offer a "Push/Pull" only competition. You would be able to just compete in bench & deadlift. They even have bench-only and deadlift-only classes IIRC.

The pause depends on the federation you compete in. Generally speaking it's no more than 1 second. You need to lower the bar to your chest and hold it motionless. The instant the bar is motionless the Referee will shout "Press" and you lift. The rule is in place to stop guys from bouncing the bar off of their sternums.

Lucky for you the USAPL & IPF federations both offer a "Push/Pull" only competition. You would be able to just compete in bench & deadlift. They even have bench-only and deadlift-only classes IIRC.

The pause depends on the federation you compete in. Generally speaking it's no more than 1 second. You need to lower the bar to your chest and hold it motionless. The instant the bar is motionless the Referee will shout "Press" and you lift. The rule is in place to stop guys from bouncing the bar off of their sternums.

Wait whaaaaaa? I didn't know there were push/pull competitions.

Wait whaaaaaa? I didn't know there were push/pull competitions.
Yessir, some federations are even including a "slingshot" bench division.

I don't know if you know what the slingshot is, but it basically does the same thing as a bench shirt only it wraps around your arms.

I imagine it must be pretty funny to be a powerlifter and ONLY compete bench press with an assistance device wrapped around your arms. But to each his own...

I see guys do this at the gym all the time. It freaks me out that they're gonna break their sternum haha

Yessir, some federations are even including a "slingshot" bench division.

I don't know if you know what the slingshot is, but it basically does the same thing as a bench shirt only it wraps around your arms.

I imagine it must be pretty funny to be a powerlifter and ONLY compete bench press with an assistance device wrapped around your arms. But to each his own...

Yeah I use the slingshot hip circle to build my glutes for squat support and ample tush effects.

I'm guessing it's probably a class mostly for people injured/can't physically do the other lifts?

Yeah I use the slingshot hip circle to build my glutes for squat support and ample tush effects.

I'm guessing it's probably a class mostly for people injured/can't physically do the other lifts?

Most likely a mix of the injured and annoying bench bros

They have a toilet paper guideline?

After a few people pooped their pants while squatting, they wanted people to know the necessary lifting strength to toilet paper strength ratios

After a few people pooped their pants while squatting, they wanted people to know the necessary lifting strength to toilet paper strength ratios
I really wish this statement wasn't true, despite the rest of the post being sarcasm...

Reactions: 1 users
I really wish this statement wasn't true, despite the rest of the post being sarcasm...

Squat pooping is a terrifyingly real condition. That's why 4/5 doctors recommend you poop before you squat.

Squat pooping is a terrifyingly real condition. That's why 4/5 doctors recommend you poop before you squat.
The fifth is hiding in the locker room in shame and was unable for comment. He would not say why.

Not sure if this is the place to share it but CJ Cummings just set the American clean and jerk record (and the youth world record) with a 407 lb 185 kg clean and jerk at 16 years old.

Not sure if this is the place to share it but CJ Cummings just set the American clean and jerk record (and the youth world record) with a 407 lb 185 kg clean and jerk at 16 years old.

Wow it looked like he was about to lose it at first. 16 years old that's insane. I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to lift 400 pounds above my head haha

Wow it looked like he was about to lose it at first. 16 years old that's insane. I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to lift 400 pounds above my head haha

Yeah he's an absolute monster. That's only 28 pounds off the all time world record set by the Chinese. He is the future of American weightlifting.

I saw this! Holy wow that kid is one hell of an athlete.
Go USA!

Yeah he's an absolute monster. That's only 28 pounds off the all time world record set by the Chinese. He is the future of American weightlifting.
That video really makes me want to go lift some heavy things

Reactions: 1 users
That video really makes me want to go lift some heavy things
I've got some bone marrow shipping containers that need moving...

Or go take Dbol. :p

I'm usually pretty skeptical of athletes, but I'm gonna go with natural freak on this one. He was breaking records at 11 years old and has been since. Plus the reason the US is generally not that competitive on an international level in weightlifting is that our governing body actually does test for roids. The high level athletes that represent the US get tested fairly often. Mattie posted not to long ago about getting back from vacation and being tested the next day. Most other nations have a state-sponsored doping program which is why they blow us out of the water.

I'm usually pretty skeptical of athletes, but I'm gonna go with natural freak on this one. He was breaking records at 11 years old and has been since. Plus the reason the US is generally not that competitive on an international level in weightlifting is that our governing body actually does test for roids. The high level athletes that represent the US get tested fairly often. Mattie posted not to long ago about getting back from vacation and being tested the next day. Most other nations have a state-sponsored doping program which is why they blow us out of the water.
Yeah, probably.

Could someone maybe give me a brief answer to the whole debate over macros/if it fits in your macros/whatever. I'm trying to learn about nutrition and how to go about building a healthy diet to maximize my weightlifting, and I've found (on bodybuilding.com) that people argue that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits in your macro count for the day. For example, you could eat ice cream all the time, as long as it fits in your diet.

This doesn't make any sense, and it seems to completely oversimplify how dieting works. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but why would 3000 calories of ice cream be the same thing as 3000 calories of celery haha? Aren't artificial foods full of preservatives/flavorings/whatever?

I've also wondered, specifically, why are artificial foods bad for you? What do artificial things do to your body?

Could someone maybe give me a brief answer to the whole debate over macros/if it fits in your macros/whatever. I'm trying to learn about nutrition and how to go about building a healthy diet to maximize my weightlifting, and I've found (on bodybuilding.com) that people argue that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits in your macro count for the day. For example, you could eat ice cream all the time, as long as it fits in your diet.

This doesn't make any sense, and it seems to completely oversimplify how dieting works. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but why would 3000 calories of ice cream be the same thing as 3000 calories of celery haha? Aren't artificial foods full of preservatives/flavorings/whatever?

I've also wondered, specifically, why are artificial foods bad for you? What do artificial things do to your body?
Well as I understand it IIFYM says you can have what you want as long as it fits your protein, carbs, and fats recommendation, which are part personal preference, part your goals, and part health concerns. However, yeah...I think by and large if you stick to a calorie controlled diet that fits the 3 macronutrients well then you will see results. So if you're bulking, the key is protein and carbs with some fat for signaling. As long as you hit your goals there, where the food comes from doesn't matter much. Most people do, however, try to hit their daily recommendation for fiber and do not take their sugar TOO high, but that's more for longevity purposes. So basically, IIFYM is eat what you want within your goals (I.e. It doesn't HAVE to be chicken and rice all day) but because it's within your goals you can't go crazy anyway with any one food group.

Also, I would contend that no...3000 calories of ice cream doesn't have the micronutrients nor the macronutrients breakdown of Celery sticks but they will have a similar effect on your weight.

Let's put it this way. If your body consumes 2000 cal a day and you eat 1500 cal a day you'll love weight. This means you could eat 1500 calories of ice cream a day and nothing else and lose weight. This would be incredibly unhealthy. We want our diet to both be healthy and serve our athletic pursuits. This is where macros come in. There are several different splits and I can go into detail if you want to PM me, but basically they'll determine how much or how little your athletic performance is affected by your cut or bulk.

My suggestion is to find your TDEE, eat at that level for two weeks to see if your weight stabilizes there, then cut or bulk based off that.

Well as I understand it IIFYM says you can have what you want as long as it fits your protein, carbs, and fats recommendation, which are part personal preference, part your goals, and part health concerns. However, yeah...I think by and large if you stick to a calorie controlled diet that fits the 3 macronutrients well then you will see results. So if you're bulking, the key is protein and carbs with some fat for signaling. As long as you hit your goals there, where the food comes from doesn't matter much. Most people do, however, try to hit their daily recommendation for fiber and do not take their sugar TOO high, but that's more for longevity purposes. So basically, IIFYM is eat what you want within your goals (I.e. It doesn't HAVE to be chicken and rice all day) but because it's within your goals you can't go crazy anyway with any one food group.

Also, I would contend that no...3000 calories of ice cream doesn't have the micronutrients nor the macronutrients breakdown of Celery sticks but they will have a similar effect on your weight.
Let's put it this way. If your body consumes 2000 cal a day and you eat 1500 cal a day you'll love weight. This means you could eat 1500 calories of ice cream a day and nothing else and lose weight. This would be incredibly unhealthy. We want our diet to both be healthy and serve our athletic pursuits. This is where macros come in. There are several different splits and I can go into detail if you want to PM me, but basically they'll determine how much or how little your athletic performance is affected by your cut or bulk.

My suggestion is to find your TDEE, eat at that level for two weeks to see if your weight stabilizes there, then cut or bulk based off that.

awesome, thanks guys. So your weight is controlled by calories intake vs. expenditure? So there are the 3 major macronutrients; protein, carbs, and fats. What else should I consider in terms of diet? Should I monitor how much fiber/sugar/sodium/types of fats and all the other stuff? I'm new to the whole calorie counting thing, so I guess just monitoring the 3 macros would be enough?

awesome, thanks guys. So your weight is controlled by calories intake vs. expenditure? So there are the 3 major macronutrients; protein, carbs, and fats. What else should I consider in terms of diet? Should I monitor how much fiber/sugar/sodium/types of fats and all the other stuff? I'm new to the whole calorie counting thing, so I guess just monitoring the 3 macros would be enough?

I wouldn't worry about everything else but definitely try and get some good veggies in for health reasons. For now, just worry about macros and calories. What does your normal workout look like and what are your current goals?

I wouldn't worry about everything else but definitely try and get some good veggies in for health reasons. For now, just worry about macros and calories. What does your normal workout look like and what are your current goals?

I'm going to probably start following the all pro routine once this semester ends. Honestly, I don't really workout regularly while in school, but I would like to start working out regularly and then hopefully maintain that if I go to med school. I think I'm leaning towards hypertrophy rather than strength goals, so I'd like to get a nice physique

I'm going to probably start following the all pro routine once this semester ends. Honestly, I don't really workout regularly while in school, but I would like to start working out regularly and then hopefully maintain that if I go to med school. I think I'm leaning towards hypertrophy rather than strength goals, so I'd like to get a nice physique
If you are considering gaining muscle for a "nice physique," keep in mind that outside of noob gains you will necessarily put on some amount of fat in the process that will need to be cut away. It's personally what has been the hang up with me progressing into a muscle gain phase for about 2.5 years.

An interesting routine, but I guess anything will do if you're a beginner. What's your body fat like? That's also going to be a factor regarding how much you should eat. Do you want to lose fat or gain muscle first?

If you are considering gaining muscle for a "nice physique," keep in mind that outside of noob gains you will necessarily put on some amount of fat in the process that will need to be cut away. It's personally what has been the hang up with me progressing into a muscle gain phase for about 2.5 years.
So have you just not gone into a cut?

An interesting routine, but I guess anything will do if you're a beginner. What's your body fat like? That's also going to be a factor regarding how much you should eat. Do you want to lose fat or gain muscle first?

I guess I would want to gain muscle first. I am 5 foot 11, and I only weigh about 153 pounds. I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is

So have you just not gone into a cut?

I guess I would want to gain muscle first. I am 5 foot 11, and I only weigh about 153 pounds. I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is
Actually it's just the reverse...I have not built muscle solely. I am still lean and want to put on some mass but just can't get over that hump. 5'7/8 and 140lbs!