Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which app are you using? Currently using the bodybuilder app and it takes too long to set up workouts.
Sorry it's StrongLifts 5x5 not starting strength. Just search 5x5 and it's a red app with 5x5 on it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Fair enough, although I still disagree on the free weights vs barbell. When you do it with free weights you add an extra plane of motion which makes it more difficult to stabilize and harder to learn proper movement patterns/form. My personal recommendation is start with barbell, follow the cues used by rippetoe, and use dumbbells later to build stability.

I should clarify here that this is for building more strength than muscle (although you will build muscle). In this situation you would be looking at a 5x5 rep and set scheme for a beginner with varying low-rep set schemes as you get more advanced. 3x10s would be more for focusing on putting on more mass and in this case dumbbell flat bench would be better for getting larger pecs.

Well that's the thing, I'm talking about more of a bodybuilding/functional approach, while you're talking about more of a powerlifting/strength training approach. I think its clear that we both understand each other, but just have different ways to go about lifting. But.. I still think the 5x5 scheme and starting with bench pressing as opposed to a chest press with free weights is just asking to get injured. Sticking to a light weight (even if it's really, really light..) is a much better way to get into lifting... And once again, just my opinion based on personal experience. Hopefully our conversation gets people to think about these things, because I think we both know that most people just go into working out without even a single clue about what they're doing in the first place...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's the thing, I'm talking about more of a bodybuilding/functional approach, while you're talking about more of a powerlifting/strength training approach. I think its clear that we both understand each other, but just have different ways to go about lifting. But.. I still think the 5x5 scheme and starting with bench pressing as opposed to a chest press with free weights is just asking to get injured. Sticking to a light weight (even if it's really, really light..) is a much better way to get into lifting... And once again, just my opinion based on personal experience. Hopefully our conversation gets people to think about these things, because I think we both know that most people just go into working out without even a single clue about what heir doing in the first place...

I agree, we're looking at two different side of the same coin.

And to all those saying you can't bulk on a vegan diet, I gained about 20 lbs of muscle, 10 lbs of fat on a vegan diet in my first year of lifting. It's really not that hard to get enough protein in on a vegan diet. Cheaper, probably healthier for me, and certainly more friendly to the environment and my little baby cow buds. Plus, f*ck the animal agriculture industry. Filled with sh*theads, as far as I can tell.

I applaud you but I just can't live without steak lol like you could literally tell me it'll give me cancer in 40 years, idgaf lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applaud you but I just can't live without steak lol like you could literally tell me it'll give me cancer in 40 years, idgaf lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is one of the silliest sentiments I've ever heard. Obviously if we contracted the example to 10 minutes instead of 40 years, obviously there'd be some differences

I'm a fat guy and I'm clueless about how to cut fat.

I wanted to start wokring out this Summer, what should I do?

In addition, I was going to start eating single portions of protein rich meals and cutting out sugary drinks (juice, soda, etc.) for water.

What else should I be doing fitness/nutrition wise?

In addition, I was going to start eating single portions of protein rich meals and cutting out sugary drinks (juice, soda, etc.) for water.

The majority of what you eat should be fruit, veggies, legumes, and grains. These are all high in fiber and take up more space in your stomach, so they fill you up quick while giving you less calories than say a steak, for example.
Most definitely cut out soda and juice. They're extremely high in sugar. Go low on oils too because they're the most calorie dense food in existence.

PM me with your stats, height, weight, age, and goal weight. I'll write you up something basic to follow diet and exercise.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have tips on morning versus evening workouts? Especially under a heavy course load?

Which one works for you and why?

Morning. I don't know why but I always have an easier time staying awake and paying attention in classes after I workout.

Reactions: 1 user
Morning. I don't know why but I always have an easier time staying awake and paying attention in classes after I workout.

How early do you usually go?

I've never been a morning person so I can't tell if its worth trying a different routine before next semester.

Anyone have tips on morning versus evening workouts? Especially under a heavy course load?

I get too tired to focus after morning workouts. Evening ones put me to sleep though. Sleep much better too.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also vote morning. You start the day feeling great and accomplished, and skinny! Plus, then you don't have to dread it all day. And less of a chance you will skip it later due to being "too tired".

Morning, as long as you are still able to get good sleep. I was a college athlete, and always felt more energized on the days that I had morning workouts (as long as I hadn't pulled an all nighter before haha). If I worked out hard in the afternoon/evenings, I had trouble motivating myself to study afterwards. All I wanted to do is lay on the couch. With a heavy courseload, having your evenings completely free is definitely helpful, and its easier to transition straight from classes to studying than it is from studying to working out to studying again.

How early do you usually go?

I've never been a morning person so I can't tell if its worth trying a different routine before next semester.

I wake up at 6:45 and get to the gym at 7:15. Last year I went to the gym at 5:30 a.m. The first couple days are the hardest it isn't bad once your body gets into the routine of waking up early.

For those of you that worked out in the mornings, what'd you eat for breakfast?

Usually small bowl of granola + greek yogurt.

Would that cut it for a morning workout?

I've tried working out on an empty stomach in the morning and it sucks honestly. Feel nauseous.

I wake up at 6:45 and get to the gym at 7:15. Last year I went to the gym at 5:30 a.m. The first couple days are the hardest it isn't bad once your body gets into the routine of waking up early.
lol. I've been waking up every morning at 6:15 for the better part of a year and I'm still not used to it. Or in a routine. Whats your secret?

I've tried working out on an empty stomach in the morning and it sucks honestly. Feel nauseous.
I ate after I worked out. Its way harder, but super effective at burning fat (you have no immediate source of glucose stored in your muscles in a fasting state, so more quickly get to burning fat).

I just drank a lot of water beforehand to fill my stomach.

lol. I've been waking up every morning at 6:15 for the better part of a year and I'm still not used to it. Or in a routine. Whats your secret?

Currently for me it's resurrect PM. Take it at night on workout days, sleep like a baby and wake up ready to go the next day.

I like eating an apple or a banana (or both if I'm really hungry) and a hand full of nuts with a bottle of water before my morning workout. Personally, I prefer a mix of pecans, cashews, almonds, and walnut. It keeps me full and focused usually till lunch. Then, before I get to my internship or class, I'll grab a cup of coffee with no sugar and just a bit of milk to get me charged. Of course, this is during ideal circumstances.. late night studying and food runs tend to mess with my rhythm :/

Reactions: 2 users
For early morning workout nutrition I drink half a protein shake as soon as I wake up and sip on the other half during the early part of my workout. Latter part of my workout I drink easy carbs like OJ or Gatorade.

This is one of the silliest sentiments I've ever heard. Obviously if we contracted the example to 10 minutes instead of 40 years, obviously there'd be some differences

Sorry I'm kinda late seeing this :p but I don't think anything really gives you cancer within 10 minutes so your example isn't all that great either lol 30-40 seems a bit more realistic but I digress...

Sorry I'm kinda late seeing this :p but I don't think anything really gives you cancer within 10 minutes so your example isn't all that great either lol 30-40 seems a bit more realistic but I digress...

I think you may have missed their point.

Guys....I went back to lifting!

Super proud of myself. could only squat 70 lbs (vs. 135 that I was doing before), but I know with some hard work I can get that back up to where it was. Just gotta throw in some light cardio and I'm golden.

Also, dieting sucks.

Reactions: 5 users

Greek Yogurt + Overnight oats

I just ate a whole pizza which was 1300 calories. There goes my calories for the day

Reactions: 3 users
Just ate at Jack in the Box 10 pieces of chicken nugget with bbq sauce and buttermilk and a bacon cheeseburger. Satisfied.

I highly recommend people to go check out "What I've Learned" on Youtube. The guy has some great videos that seem to be backed by substantial evidence and well thought out arguments. He's done videos on Sugar, Sleep, Eating Once a Day, Internet Addiction, etc. It's really just an awesome collection of videos that sometimes even go into the detailed biochemical nature of the processes he covers in his videos. His most recent video on Breathing was especially interesting and I actually felt a difference when I incorporated it into my workout/sleep. Definitely worth taking a look!
:thumbup: :=|:-):

Reactions: 3 users
I highly recommend people to go check out "What I've Learned" on Youtube. The guy has some great videos that seem to be backed by substantial evidence and well thought out arguments. He's done videos on Sugar, Sleep, Eating Once a Day, Internet Addiction, etc. It's really just an awesome collection of videos that sometimes even go into the detailed biochemical nature of the processes he covers in his videos. His most recent video on Breathing was especially interesting and I actually felt a difference when I incorporated it into my workout/sleep. Definitely worth taking a look!
:thumbup: :=|:-):
Interesting. How would you breathe through your congested nose when you sleep?

Interesting. How would you breathe through your congested nose when you sleep?

I haven't had a congested nose for a while, so idk. But I assume this tactic (thing? technique? idk what it call it lol) works best when you're not congested.

Wish me luck friends! State championship meet is Sunday. Taking this week off to recover and I'm dying. So much energy to burn but I'm not allowed to lift so I can be 100% recovered for the meet.

Reactions: 2 users
Username checks out
Good luck and don't forget to

1oaqr9.jpg

Bench: 295
Squat: 325-55
Deadlift 405-425

*edit* I know I have a poverty squat
Can you convert that to kPB? kilo-PintoBeans is my preferred unit of measure.

Can you convert that to kPB? kilo-PintoBeans is my preferred unit of measure.
Bench: 30 sacks of pintos
Squats: 40 sacks of pintos
Deadlift: 3/4 of an el Camino

Bench: 30 sacks of pintos
Squats: 40 sacks of pintos
Deadlift: 3/4 of an el Camino

Good thing 3/4 of an el Caminos are readily available at your local trailer parks.

Honestly I haven't benched in so long I don't think I could even hit 225 anymore.