Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Myfitnesspal does all of this with an app, you might wanna check it out. Also let's me see a chart tracking my weight every day.
which could be a bad thing if you're me. lol ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only been going to the gym twice the past month or so (supplementing with moderate cardio 3 days a week) because I've been so lazy and lacking motivation. Living with it because I've convinced myself once summer starts I'm going start to get so disgustingly big that I won't be able to fit into my white coat for the ceremony in August.

I've only been going to the gym twice the past month or so (supplementing with moderate cardio 3 days a week) because I've been so lazy and lacking motivation. Living with it because I've convinced myself once summer starts I'm going start to get so disgustingly big that I won't be able to fit into my white coat for the ceremony in August.

So disgustingly swole?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Arlindo-de-Souza-29-inch-biceps.jpg

Haha seriously. I'll never understand steroids. That dude looks disgusting at the risk of killing himself.

Not about that Tren lyfe?

In all seriousness, have you seen "Bigger, Stronger, Faster*"? Great film about steroids in sports by Mark bells brother, Chris Bell.

Not about that Tren lyfe?

In all seriousness, have you seen "Bigger, Stronger, Faster*"? Great film about steroids in sports by Mark bells brother, Chris Bell.
Nah I haven't seen it. I'll check it out. Is it on Netflix?

Nah I haven't seen it. I'll check it out. Is it on Netflix?

I believe so. It was last time I checked. 100% recommend. Chris bell has a couple of sports related documentaries out there and they are all great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I caved to an Indian lunch buffet. So worth it.

... I think?

I caved to an Indian lunch buffet. So worth it.

... I think?

I fell off the boat today because I didn't prepare yesterday. Spent the whole day hiking with the GF and watching movies after, ended up eating a bacon Brie cheese burger with whole fried potatoes and a beer. At least my dinner will be back on track.

Any vegans in this thread? Been vegan for about 4 months and I've never felt better or had an easier time recovering after workouts.

I was (mostly) vegetarian before starting my current diet. Can't really do all the protein I need as often as I need it with my current training regimen and diet.

Do you do any heavy weights?

Theres no way you work out hard enough if your satisfied with your feels on a daily basis as a vegan.

sortof-srs

I'm gonna get a good pump tonight after work. Have a nice chest division that shows through scrubs nicely. Need to maintain come OMM time.

I weigh about 152-155 pounds right now. How do I decide what weight to shoot for in a bulk? Could I just bulk until I get to like 200 pounds and then cut? Or is that too much? 210?
Or would I just get really fat if I tried to gain that much weight over one winter?

Bulking is a myth. You can add muscle at a rate similar to just trash bulking without trash bulking. Eat clean and make sure you're eating enough to put weight on but don't overdo it and get boobs like @Cruxomega. You'll thank me later. You will most likely lose a two-pack from your six-pack if you have it now but youll get it back once you hit target weight and then cut a bit. I cut a bit in the summer otherwise im probably 15-17% bf with nice divisions still.

Reactions: 3 users
Bulking is a myth. You can add muscle at a rate similar to just trash bulking without trash bulking. Eat clean and make sure you're eating enough to put weight on but don't overdo it and get boobs like @Cruxomega. You'll thank me later. You will most likely lose a two-pack from your six-pack if you have it now but youll get it back once you hit target weight and then cut a bit. I cut a bit in the summer otherwise im probably 15-17% bf with nice divisions still.

You spelled quads wrong ;)

I mean I wasn't 100% serious guys but you cannot say that two people, one veganlicker and one not, will gain muscle at a similar rate. The amount of protein that the average non-vegan eats is gonna make a difference.

inb4 flamewar

I mean I wasn't 100% serious guys but you cannot say that two people, one veganlicker and one not, will gain muscle at a similar rate. The amount of protein that the average non-vegan eats is gonna make a difference.

I bet if a vegan and non-vegan ate the same amount of protein, you would see similar results. Granted, they do have to take supplements for the micronutrients they don't normally get. But then again, most people don't do vegan for the gains, more so for the political/ethical/conservationist reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
I bet if a vegan and non-vegan ate the same amount of protein, you would see similar results. Granted, they do have to take supplements for the micronutrients they don't normally get. But then again, most people don't do vegan for the gains, more so for the political/ethical/conservationist reasons.
That's not what I said. I said diets, NOT similar amounts of protein because you already stated why. Also, did you just post a picture of yourself cuz bruh. That women in the back in the white tank top has you beat.

That's not what I said. I said diets, NOT similar amounts of protein because you already stated why. Also, did you just post a picture of yourself cuz bruh.

I did, is that not kosher? Either way, it's an old pic and this is my "I don't care if people know who I am on this account" account.

I did, is that not kosher? Either way, it's an old pic and this is my "I don't care if people know who I am on this account" account.
I'm going to save it and compare it to all of my future classmates and find out who you are and tell you not to skip chest day. Then we will go out for brotein shakes wearing matching tanks.

inb4 flamewar
In general, I think most people and especially gym-goers vastly overestimate how much protein they need to be healthy and gain muscle. Don't most experts agree on this? The whole protein supplement industry with their crazy products should be ashamed about how much they push protein on consumers.

In general, I think most people and especially gym-goers vastly overestimate how much protein they need to be healthy and gain muscle. Don't most experts agree on this? The whole protein supplement industry with their crazy products should be ashamed about how much they push protein on consumers.

Do you even lift/read/lift bro? A vegan needs to supplement protein (already stated) to have the same amount of protein a non-vegan would have in their diet NOT supplementing (2ndly already stated).

But yes usually protein shakes are worthless and just give people fupa pouches.

I would like to now add that I'm talking about gaining mass... for general fitness it doesn't matter vegan or not.

Any vegans in this thread? Been vegan for about 4 months and I've never felt better or had an easier time recovering after workouts.
Was vegan for a year in college, but since moving back home and travelling often, it's been tough, since I don't cook for myself anymore. So now I'm "choose whatever is the best option with whatever food is readily available to me".

And to all those saying you can't bulk on a vegan diet, I gained about 20 lbs of muscle, 10 lbs of fat on a vegan diet in my first year of lifting. It's really not that hard to get enough protein in on a vegan diet. Cheaper, probably healthier for me, and certainly more friendly to the environment and my little baby cow buds. Plus, f*ck the animal agriculture industry. Filled with sh*theads, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 6 users
Any suggestions on a bodybuilding/strength building routine and meal plan?

Searching online gives a lot of results but I have no idea if any of those are actually legit.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a bodybuilding/strength building routine and meal plan?

Searching online gives a lot of results but I have no idea if any of those are actually legit.

If you'd like to put on strength, try starting strength. Honestly I'd recommend it anyways. If you're skinny, eat plenty. If you're fat, eat less.

Lift a lot and eat even more. What are your goals/ where are you starting at? It's gonna vary a lot depending on that

Goals: Gain muscle/strength and get rid of fat. I wouldn't mind a two phase program.
Starting: I've been lifting for the past 7 years but have experienced a couple injuries so I have not been too consistent. My diet has never been great either.

Goals: Gain muscle/strength and get rid of fat. I wouldn't mind a two phase program.
Starting: I've been lifting for the past 7 years but have experienced a couple injuries so I have not been too consistent. My diet has never been great either.
Diet is the majority of the battle when getting in shape, especially with trying to lose fat.

Diet is the majority of the battle when getting in shape, especially with trying to lose fat.

Ya. I realized that after my metabolism started to turn to crap a few years after undergrad. Just can't seem to get in the mindset to 100% commit to a diet but my job hours the past two years have been very variable (don't have much time to get small meals in throughout the day). Hopefully starting medical school will allow me to follow a diet more easily.

Specific diets are too restrictive for me. I just eat a few core items that are nutritious and fill up the rest of the calories with whatever suits me. I think IIFYM can be really effective as long as you don't eat garbage 24/7.

I have been working out for 8 damn years.. I'll chime in.. Here are some helpful tips:

1. Stay away from the squat rack. You'll thank me in 20 years...
2. Stay away from the bench pressing/deadlifting until you feel comfortable doing those movements with free weights.
3. Pull Ups and Push Ups are great additions to a workout in between sets or as a burnout
4. Do not lift "heavy" unless you want to hurt yourself, you muscle will grow at a nice rate with what you can rep with about 70% effort for 3 sets of 10.. I did 6 months of training at 30% effort.. high reps, low weight.. still had them gains.. made no difference
5. If you do want to lift "heavy", do it at your own peril and make sure your form is perfect (I think lifting heavy is for ego-lifters and powerlifters.. otherwise I see no point to it)
6. Which brings me to this point.. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING WITH PROPER FORM
(Don't be me and try curling 155lbs (was trying to show off), which hurt my lower back, and then go back to the gym after 1 month and think "oh my back is fine, time to go ham again.." and one arm dumbbell row 110lbs with crap form and pinching a nerve..)
Look up videos on youtube, ask people for help, do whatever you can.. but don't be me..

As for diet, stay the hell away from anything that has HFCS or any type of processed sugar. Eat more fats, and of course protein, and make sure to eat plenty of vegetables. Fruits have tons of carbs and the fiber makes sure the sugar gets broken down at a slower rate, so they are fantastic to eat whenever you feel low on energy. Supplements only help recovery, but adequate sleep and food intake will make sure you recover well enough to keep a good pace week after week. I only took protein for 6 months out of my 8 years.. I went from 165-202 in that time frame.. I also took creatine in that time.. Lost 10lbs in water-weight in the 2 months off of the stuff, and just felt/looked fat until I lost the weight/gained more muscle after 2 years of hard work.. So not worth it at all in my opinion

DON'T TRACK CALORIES
DON'T TRY FIGURING OUT MACROS AND MICROS
Edit: I want to elaborate on this a bit - Make good choices based on common sense. Always choose drinks with no sugar added. Drink coffee with just a bit of milk. Don't have wings drenched in a sweet chili sauce, have them naked and add some sauce yourself. Don't get any bars (No Nature Valley, Nutrigrain, Cliff... no just no), just have some fruit instead. Don't juice foods, actually eat the damn thing whole, or make a smoothie, that way you retain the fiber... I think you guys get the point..
DON'T TRY BEING A SHOWOFF AND RISK DEVELOPING A CHRONIC INJURY
DON'T BE THAT TURD WHO MAKES RIDICULOUS SOUNDS (sort of like a dying elephant)
DON'T TAKE RANDOM PHOTOS OF YOURSELF (both at the squat rack and then again when in the locker room.. you probably need help at this point if this is you.. please get help of the sake of all of us who are trying not to laugh and workout in peace)

DO EAT TILL YOU'RE 80% FULL (I like to take breaks when I stuff my face, it helps me gage where I am in terms of satiety)
DO MAKE SURE YOUR FORM IS ALWAYS CORRECT AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK PEOPLE TO CRITIQUE YOU
DO WORKOUT WITH A PARTNER IF POSSIBLE (limits the potential for boredom, increases the competition factor)
DO LIMIT YOUR WATER INTAKE (idk why, but this helps me keep my focus on my workout and not develop a dependence on it in order to have a normal workout.. i have a few friends like this.. those of you who don't workout with glove should understand this if you've tried to wear them.. once you start, you can't undo either preference..)
DO LIMIT YOUR BREAK TIME BETWEEN SETS (Keeps the pump going, focus on, and increases endurance)

I'm Ants in My Eyes Johnson, and I approve this message.

Last edited:
Great tips but tbqh the best was the rick and Morty reference.

Great tips but tbqh the best was the rick and Morty reference.

I completely disagree on the tips part. The only solid advice there was "don't try and show off."

If you're serious about getting in shape, track calories and macros. No need to track micros.

Get in the squat rack and squat. Have an Olympic weightlifting coach or powerlifting coach teach you how to do it properly so you don't **** yourself up.

Don't start benching and deadlifting with free weights, it requires more stability to do far less weight and if you don't know what you're doing you're more likely to **** things up. Once again, have someone teach you but start with a barbell.

Don't use gloves, they look ridiculous and hide weaknesses.

Don't limit your water intake unless you're taking in extremely large amounts (I'm talking over two gallons). The more hydrated you are, the better you'll perform.

There are plenty of benefits to lifting heavy, so do it if you want to get stronger but ensure you have a coach teach you correct form, not the internet or a buddy because they might give you bad/misinformed advice like the dude above.

Supplements don't only help recovery, actually studies on creatine have shown great results regarding muscle gain and strength gains. There's plenty of scientific studies backing it up as a supplement. It helps you during workouts.

Don't believe me on all this, research it yourself. I recommend reading starting strength as a good beginning point. It's a good book. Also don't believe the guy who hurt himself trying to curl 155.

Reactions: 3 users
I completely disagree on the tips part. The only solid advice there was "don't try and show off."

If you're serious about getting in shape, track calories and macros. No need to track micros.

Get in the squat rack and squat. Have an Olympic weightlifting coach or powerlifting coach teach you how to do it properly so you don't **** yourself up.

Don't start benching and deadlifting with free weights, it requires more stability to do far less weight and if you don't know what you're doing you're more likely to **** things up. Once again, have someone teach you but start with a barbell.

Don't use gloves, they look ridiculous and hide weaknesses.

Don't limit your water intake unless you're taking in extremely large amounts (I'm talking over two gallons). The more hydrated you are, the better you'll perform.

There are plenty of benefits to lifting heavy, so do it if you want to get stronger but ensure you have a coach teach you correct form, not the internet or a buddy because they might give you bad/misinformed advice like the dude above.

Supplements don't only help recovery, actually studies on creatine have shown great results regarding muscle gain and strength gains. There's plenty of scientific studies backing it up as a supplement. It helps you during workouts.

Don't believe me on all this, research it yourself. I recommend reading starting strength as a good beginning point. It's a good book. Also don't believe the guy who hurt himself trying to curl 155.

Well, everyone has their own stance on these topics. Just giving my two cents, but to each their own.

As for me curling 155lbs, I was an idiot, but I learned my lesson. Better to learn from the mistakes of others than make the mistakes yourself. Oh and I completely agree with the gloves thing, I don't wear them. Although, I'm making the point that those who do wear them find it extremely difficult to stop wearing them when lifting and vice versa.

As for using free weights for deadlifting and chest pressing, I highly recommend starting with them. They engage muscles that are required for stability and even if you have to start at a low weight (I started at 15lbs.. that's weird just saying that..) This will be very beneficial when transitioning to bench pressing / actual deadlifting because these muscles are essential to maintaining balance and good form throughout the movement. Not to mention, if you learn to properly dumbbell press, you'll save your shoulder when lifting heavy (I have seen way too many friends fall victim to this.)

As for lifting heavy.. not everyone can hire a coach.. hence why I said 70% of effort for 3 sets of 10 is a good place to consider..

And lastly, for counting calories and macros, I personally found my results at their best when I stopped eating 3 meals a day and started to listen to my body to see when I am actually hungry. We've become so accustomed to eating at set times that, in general, we have forgotten how to truly be hungry. I don't mean starving, I mean "hey, I actually want to eat now, not because the clock is telling me it's 2:00pm, but because I want to feel satiated". We've completely messed up our ghrelin and leptin levels, the feeling of hunger (or let's be honest, lack of true hunger, but some weird unconscious need to eat in that moment) only comes when the clock strikes a particular time. Our need for food is like Pavlov's dog salivating, the clock striking 5:00pm for dinner is his bell.

But you are 100% correct! To those who are reading our posts, don't just believe what I have said, nor what he has said, and do research on your own. I know I've spent too many hours do it... Also, I'm simply talking about these things in such a manner (bold and direct) because they have worked for me. That does not mean it will work for you. Find what your body requires to achieve its most optimum results.

Edit: Oh and I definitely made gains using creatine.. but I was really really bloated, and lost a lot of my size in water weight when I stopped taking it.. Might have been better to wean off of it, but something about it just felt off to me..

"I can't, I'm not 100 percent sure what we have here in stock, because I can't see anything! "

Reactions: 2 users
I started with starting strength 5x5 and I think it's a really good place to get into a good routine. It's nice because there's a app that you can track all of your lifts with which shows how much you're progressing. Like others have said form is huge to make sure you don't get injured. I started squatting after watching a few YouTube videos and I could already feel it hurting my knees. Ask your friends or other people at the gym to watch you and give you tips on how to improve form to prevent injury.

This is why I really recommend reading the starting strength book. It can be a bit dense but Rippetoe gives a super in-depth squat, bench, and deadlift breakdown which really helped me get my squat down. Granted, it was low bar and I eventually switched to high bar.

It's nice because there's a app that you can track all of your lifts with which shows how much you're progressing.

Which app are you using? Currently using the bodybuilder app and it takes too long to set up workouts.

Well, everyone has their own stance on these topics. Just giving my two cents, but to each their own.

As for me curling 155lbs, I was an idiot, but I learned my lesson. Better to learn from the mistakes of others than make the mistakes yourself. Oh and I completely agree with the gloves thing, I don't wear them. Although, I'm making the point that those who do wear them find it extremely difficult to stop wearing them when lifting and vice versa.

As for using free weights for deadlifting and chest pressing, I highly recommend starting with them. They engage muscles that are required for stability and even if you have to start at a low weight (I started at 15lbs.. that's weird just saying that..) This will be very beneficial when transitioning to bench pressing / actual deadlifting because these muscles are essential to maintaining balance and good form throughout the movement. Not to mention, if you learn to properly dumbbell press, you'll save your shoulder when lifting heavy (I have seen way too many friends fall victim to this.)

As for lifting heavy.. not everyone can hire a coach.. hence why I said 70% of effort for 3 sets of 10 is a good place to consider..

And lastly, for counting calories and macros, I personally found my results at their best when I stopped eating 3 meals a day and started to listen to my body to see when I am actually hungry. We've become so accustomed to eating at set times that, in general, we have forgotten how to truly be hungry. I don't mean starving, I mean "hey, I actually want to eat now, not because the clock is telling me it's 2:00pm, but because I want to feel satiated". We've completely messed up our ghrelin and leptin levels, the feeling of hunger (or let's be honest, lack of true hunger, but some weird unconscious need to eat in that moment) only comes when the clock strikes a particular time. Our need for food is like Pavlov's dog salivating, the clock striking 5:00pm for dinner is his bell.

But you are 100% correct! To those who are reading our posts, don't just believe what I have said, nor what he has said, and do research on your own. I know I've spent too many hours do it... Also, I'm simply talking about these things in such a manner (bold and direct) because they have worked for me. That does not mean it will work for you. Find what your body requires to achieve its most optimum results.

Edit: Oh and I definitely made gains using creatine.. but I was really really bloated, and lost a lot of my size in water weight when I stopped taking it.. Might have been better to wean off of it, but something about it just felt off to me..

"I can't, I'm not 100 percent sure what we have here in stock, because I can't see anything! "

Fair enough, although I still disagree on the free weights vs barbell. When you do it with free weights you add an extra plane of motion which makes it more difficult to stabilize and harder to learn proper movement patterns/form. My personal recommendation is start with barbell, follow the cues used by rippetoe, and use dumbbells later to build stability.

I should clarify here that this is for building more strength than muscle (although you will build muscle). In this situation you would be looking at a 5x5 rep and set scheme for a beginner with varying low-rep set schemes as you get more advanced. 3x10s would be more for focusing on putting on more mass and in this case dumbbell flat bench would be better for getting larger pecs.