Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you're going to be a doc though, so you don't need to look good to get a hot gf

Meeting a girl in med school who lifts/is fit = goals

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I weigh about 152-155 pounds right now. How do I decide what weight to shoot for in a bulk? Could I just bulk until I get to like 200 pounds and then cut? Or is that too much? 210?
Or would I just get really fat if I tried to gain that much weight over one winter?

I weigh about 152-155 pounds right now. How do I decide what weight to shoot for in a bulk? Could I just bulk until I get to like 200 pounds and then cut? Or is that too much? 210?

Depends on fat percentage. I'd say if you're lean, bulk until you hit a weight that has you ~15 to 17 % bodyfat then cut back down to ~10-12%. Goal lean weight depends too. What kind of physique do you want?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on fat percentage. I'd say if you're lean, bulk until you hit a weight that has you ~15 to 17 % bodyfat then cut back down to ~10-12%. Goal lean weight depends too. What kind of physique do you want?

I don't know, I guess my goal would be to get as muscular as possible haha

Maybe 180-200 lean?

So that should be my goal lean weight? I think I tried out one of those body composition calculators to see what my maximum muscle potential was, and it put me at like 175 pounds with 5% bodyfat. Of course, that's probably not possible, so I'd probably weigh more with extra fat

Also, I know that some people do a "lean bulk", where they bulk with minimal fat gains, but is this less effective than traditional bulking? If you want max results, should you expect a good amount of body fat that you will need to shed?

My goal for about 6 years has been to get to 200lbs with abs while I'm sitting (I'm 5'8"). I've gone from a fat 230 to a shredded 165 to a beefy 210 now I'm a shredded 190.

To whoever asked, yes I've done that diet and others. I prefer to just train hard as **** and eat to perform.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I know that some people do a "lean bulk", where they bulk with minimal fat gains, but is this less effective than traditional bulking? If you want max results, should you expect a good amount of body fat that you will need to shed?

Lean is between 10-12% fat. 180 at that body fat is doable. I prefer a lean bulk because while it's slower you still look good and don't get too fat

The strength will come back real quick, trust me.

Side note, first week of RP cutting template diet. Realized I can't cook straight chicken for ****. Tried baking it and it came out horrible. I need a damn grill or something. Think I might make ground turkey with taco seasoning next time.

Get some spices(Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Chilli Powder, Garlic Powder whatever you want). Dice the chicken it increases the surface area for the spices to come in contact too it also makes it easier to not overcook parts of your chicken.

Here's how I cook my chicken. I take a pound of chicken dice it, throw it in some tupperware with some greek yogurt, paprika, salt, pepper, and chili powder, mix it all up and allow it to marinate for an hour or two. Then I cook it on a skillet w/ olive oil or bake in the oven.

Off topic but felt like sharing:

Don't let a bad day shake you up.

For example, Monday I had the absolute worst training session of my life. I didn't get enough sleep, I was nauseous with nerves all day, I didn't eat enough prior to training.

I was supposed to hit a 275 pound squat for a new 6 rep max

As soon as the weight hit my shoulders I knew I was done, and my mind checked out. I thought to myself

"you can't do this, just give up. Squats have always been your worst lift, you'll never be a decent powerlifter"

Sure enough, as soon as my mind checked out my body followed. I barely hit 1 rep. So I went home and sulked and felt bad for myself. It bothered me. I went to bed early feeling like a failure.

Today, I went back to the training center. I ate carbs all day, I drank water, I watched videos of the great lifters warming up with the weight I max out on. Then I loaded the bar. Blasted some music. And I hit 275 for 5 reps, still sore from yesterday.

I just had to prove to myself I had it in me.

I guess what I wanted to share was, don't get discouraged by a bad day. Use it as an opportunity to come back stronger.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The strength will come back real quick, trust me.

Side note, first week of RP cutting template diet. Realized I can't cook straight chicken for ****. Tried baking it and it came out horrible. I need a damn grill or something. Think I might make ground turkey with taco seasoning next time.

I bake plain chicken and it comes out nice and juicy.
Just put it on a pan with aluminum foil, bake on each side for 12 minutes (if it's a super thick chicken breast) at 450 F.

Now I have a George Foreman grill, but I still like to bake it sometimes.

A lean bulk is difficult because it requires strict attention to detail.

You need to count your calories every day and eat juuuuust enough to gain weight without putting on fat. Problem is, you're gonna be leaving some potential muscle on the table and progress will be slower.

Now, a true "bulk" doesn't mean you eat 4,000 calories daily and turn into a human dump truck. After a certain number of calories you simply cannot use them and they are stored as fat. A realistic number for a regular bulk is 3,000-3,500 calories per day

A "lean" bulk would be 2,700-3,000 depending on your TDEE and activity level

Today I had 8 egg whites with some bell pepper in it. I need a better solution for this breakfast. I think salsa and hot sauce may be that solution.
Pro tip:
El Paso Taco Sauce has all the chipotle flavor with only 5% RDI of sodium per serving. A comparable amount of salsa/hot sauce has around 20%

Pro tip:
El Paso Taco Sauce has all the chipotle flavor with only 5% RDI of sodium per serving. A comparable amount of salsa/hot sauce has around 20%
WAT.

This is life-changing.

Pro tip:

Today I had it with hot sauce and I think I may be better off just cutting the amount of egg whites and eating lean steak and egg whites

Last edited:
WAT.

This is life-changing.
Yeah dude. IIRC, a tablespoon of "taco sauce" from old El Paso has like 5% of sodium.

- A TEAspoon of tobasco has I think 8% = 24% daily sodium for the same amount of sauce.

i freaked out when I figured this out.

The green tomato taco sauce has even less

*EDIT* its Ortega taco sauce, and the green sauce only has 3% sodium per tablespoon

Yeah dude. IIRC, a tablespoon of "taco sauce" from old El Paso has like 5% of sodium.

- A TEAspoon of tobasco has I think 8% = 24% daily sodium for the same amount of sauce.

I stick to cholula I think it's like half the sodium of tobasco. But still more than the taco sauce but I don't actually know the conversion between teaspoon and tablespoon haha

EDIT: 1 tablespoon would be 12% daily value of sodium so not the best but better than tobasco at least

Do the kodiak cakes taste good? I'll definitely look into that. Do they sell them at grocery stores?
They sell them at major grocery stores here in the northeast. They taste like normal pancakes but contain a metric ****load of protein.

Add some low sugar syrup and you're golden.

They sell them at major grocery stores here in the northeast. They taste like normal pancakes but contain a metric ****load of protein.

Add some low sugar syrup and you're golden.
From the website "Power Cakes are not for the faint-hearted, but for those who, like the frontiersmen exploring and settling untamed wilderness, require nutrition, vitality, and taste."

I'm sold

From the website "Power Cakes are not for the faint-hearted, but for those who, like the frontiersmen exploring and settling untamed wilderness, require nutrition, vitality, and taste."

I'm sold
Any company that can claim their pancakes are not for the faint hearted deserves a try haha

I'm sold

Gotta have halo top tho, I recommend strawberry

Reactions: 2 users
Gotta have halo top tho, I recommend strawberry
Damn 20g of protein per pint. I'm pretty sure my life is gonna change after I go to the store tonight haha thank you

*EDIT* its Ortega taco sauce, and the green sauce only has 3% sodium per tablespoon

Valentina hot sauce has 3% sodium per teaspoon. It tastes good too!

So uh, new thread for healthy recipes and tricks?

Reactions: 2 users
One thing I know for sure is that I'm going to be really fit by the time I get accepted this cycle...
Going to the gym almost every day has been the main thing keeping my mind busy while I deal with all of the anxiety.

Reactions: 3 users
Guyssss I've been in vacation mode through my relocation. Lost so much muscle mass in my legs and back.

I also have an abdominal hernia and the stronger my abs are, the better it is contained and lower the pain. These days it protrudes so much ughhh

Back on the grind! Although there are NO LA FITNESS HEREEEE

What do you guys think about 24hr Fitness? -Closest to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Talking of sugar, I tried a no sugar-added month of March and I can safely say that it's one of the hardest types of diets to stick with. Unless you just have all produce meals then youre gonna have a tough time with it.

Toward the end of the month it turned into a low sugar month of March. I only got 2/3 way through before I cheated with honey. It helps to have a support group keeping you honest.

Guyssss I've been in vacation mode through my relocation. Lost so much muscle mass in my legs and back.

I also have an abdominal hernia and the stronger my abs are, the better it is contained and lower the pain. These days it protrudes so much ughhh

Welcome back! Can I touch your protrusion? I have a friend who loved 24fitness because he would work overnight and workout in the am. I can't personally speak to it though.

Talking of sugar, I tried a no sugar-added month of March and I can safely say that it's one of the hardest types of diets to stick with. Unless you just have all produce meals then youre gonna have a tough time with it.

Toward the end of the month it turned into a low sugar month of March. I only got 2/3 way through before I cheated with honey. It helps to have a support group keeping you honest.

Welcome back! Can I touch your protrusion? I have a friend who loved 24fitness because he would work overnight and workout in the am. I can't personally speak to it though.

Yeah that does sound like a good plus!

Did your no-sugar diet not let you eat fruits?

Btw, RP diet is tough for me so far. Some days I have only 70 grams of carbs which is brutal for me when I'm used to getting 200+ grams a day.

I use 24 and I love it. It's pretty cheap and you get access to every 24 so whenever your traveling you can just go to one. The facilities are pretty variable, in my city we have 2 and one is pretty run down but the other one is super renovated and nice.

Did your no-sugar diet not let you eat fruits?

Btw, RP diet is tough for me so far. Some days I have only 70 grams of carbs which is brutal for me when I'm used to getting 200+ grams a day.

Yea I did eat fruits. I tried to avoid anything processed that had a non zero sugar number. Like I said though, it was tough. The lowest sugar yogurt I could find even had 2g per cup, so for things like that I made exceptions. I had maybe anywhere from 0-10g of added sugar on average. After day 20 it went downhill.

I actually think substituting fruits is what helped me stay sane through the (very real) withdrawal I had.

Yea I did eat fruits. I tried to avoid anything processed that had a non zero sugar number. Like I said though, it was tough. The lowest sugar yogurt I could find even had 2g per cup, so for things like that I made exceptions. I had maybe anywhere from 0-10g of added sugar on average. After day 20 it went downhill.

I actually think substituting fruits is what helped me stay sane through the (very real) withdrawal I had.

Diet soda is my savior when it comes to lower carb days.

@WhittyPsyche but that being said, most 24's have a 2 year commitment. I wouldn't sign up if you get free membership to the gym at your school. I'm planning on canceling my membership in August sine I think gym membership is included in tuition.

Diet soda is my savior when it comes to lower carb days.

Just don't get cancer.

As for the macro and micro counting, I like making the diet and nutrient counting game, almost like in RPG where you track progress, using https://www.choosemyplate.gov/

It sounds cheesy, especially if your first memory of this using this was a class project, like mine was, but you can track most foods by selecting them from a drop down box (it has almost every type of food and cooking method). Then the interface auto populates every nutrition value associated with the serving size you select for that meal (even some restaurant meals are listed).

Cons,
Its a government website so it's interface nice but confusing. Easily could be streamlined.
Initially, it's time consuming to input each ingredient in a meal with lots of

Pros,
Meals can be saved if you prep for the week so populating multi ingredient meals becomes a breeze.
All macros and micros auto populate. Saves lots of time.

And if you set goals for yourself, you can see if you're hitting target ranges using daily or weekly reports with your totals from the amount of carbs and protein to vitamins and folic acid.

So much easier than what I did in college with excel spreadsheets.

@WhittyPsyche but that being said, most 24's have a 2 year commitment. I wouldn't sign up if you get free membership to the gym at your school. I'm planning on canceling my membership in August sine I think gym membership is included in tuition.

I get the gym membership at school but that wouldn't start until August and I live in the new city now. I didn't realize it was a two year commitment. That sucks

I get the gym membership at school but that wouldn't start until August and I live in the new city now. I didn't realize it was a two year commitment. That sucks

I'm sure they have month to month but I think it'll be more expensive. I pay like 25 but had to sign a 2 year agreement I'm not sure how much it is monthly

Just don't get cancer.

As for the macro and micro counting, I like making the diet and nutrient counting game, almost like in RPG where you track progress, using https://www.choosemyplate.gov/

It sounds cheesy, especially if your first memory of this using this was a class project, like mine was, but you can track most foods by selecting them from a drop down box (it has almost every type of food and cooking method). Then the interface auto populates every nutrition value associated with the serving size you select for that meal (even some restaurant meals are listed).

Cons,
Its a government website so it's interface nice but confusing. Easily could be streamlined.
Initially, it's time consuming to input each ingredient in a meal with lots of

Pros,
Meals can be saved if you prep for the week so populating multi ingredient meals becomes a breeze.
All macros and micros auto populate. Saves lots of time.

And if you set goals for yourself, you can see if you're hitting target ranges using daily or weekly reports with your totals from the amount of carbs and protein to vitamins and folic acid.

So much easier than what I did in college with excel spreadsheets.

Myfitnesspal does all of this with an app, you might wanna check it out. Also let's me see a chart tracking my weight every day.