Struggling with hand skills in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss1121

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an International student in my first semester of dental school and so far we have done wire bending exercises in labs which I have struggled with. I am not the only one in class who is struggling and quite a few people are however after chatting with the course director I am way behind others in the quality of work I have produced. I have tried my best to improve and even asked for extra wires to practice with but was told it was not an option. I have a month to improve my work or I will have to repeat the entire year which I am worried about due to the tuition fee and other costs. Unfortunately the course director has not been too helpful and every meeting with him has been discouraging to say the least and the only thing he has managed to do is make me doubt myself. I am worried that this is not thecareer choice for me even though I have always wanted to be a dentist. I am doing quite well academically its just that my clinical skills are lacking. I want to do my best to improve but I don't see how I can in a short period of time

Members don't see this ad.

The only classes I bent wires for were the one or two ortho classes that we got in 3rd year. I can't remember the last time I bent a wire for an actual patient.

Practice, practice, practice. There's no way around it. Best of luck.

I am an International student in my first semester of dental school and so far we have done wire bending exercises in labs which I have struggled with. I am not the only one in class who is struggling and quite a few people are however after chatting with the course director I am way behind others in the quality of work I have produced. I have tried my best to improve and even asked for extra wires to practice with but was told it was not an option. I have a month to improve my work or I will have to repeat the entire year which I am worried about due to the tuition fee and other costs. Unfortunately the course director has not been too helpful and every meeting with him has been discouraging to say the least and the only thing he has managed to do is make me doubt myself. I am worried that this is not thecareer choice for me even though I have always wanted to be a dentist. I am doing quite well academically its just that my clinical skills are lacking. I want to do my best to improve but I don't see how I can in a short period of time

Huh???? Wire bending courses? I made a Hawley ret in undergrad DS. That was about it for wire bending in undergrad. I actually enjoy bending wires. Go figure. :)
Won't provide extra wires for practice? Again .... huh?!?
Repeat the entire year because you can't bend a piece of wire? Double huh?!?!?
Gotta be more to this story.

Reactions: 1 user