Struggling with indirect vision for crown preps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ergonomics and the way I sit is something I try to be mindful of when drilling and practicing. I dont want to practice and get used to a certain way of drilling in pre-clinic, and be unable, or it not be ergonomically correct to do it on a real patient. But i am struggling heavily with making crown preps. Specifically, when i am preparing either the buccal surfaces on the left side of the mouth, and/or the lingual surfaces on the right side of the mouth. I think its because I am right handed and just find it very difficult preparing these surfaces with indirect vision. Are there any tips on how to get better, or would it be just like anything else and just keep practicing these surfaces with indirect vision and eventually it will come.

Members don't see this ad.

There are two ergonomic positioning videos on Stevensons Dental Solution on YouTube. Highly recommended. Also practice practice practice on typodonts.

Move around your patient and move them to be comfortable

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be surprised how much more you can see if you get creative positioning yourself and moving the pt. I can usually see pretty much the entire prep if I move all around the pt and have them turn their head in ways that are beneficial to my line of sight. Try sitting above the pt's head rather than to the side.

You'd be surprised how much more you can see if you get creative positioning yourself and moving the pt. I can usually see pretty much the entire prep if I move all around the pt and have them turn their head in ways that are beneficial to my line of sight. Try sitting above the pt's head rather than to the side.
going at 12:00 ive tried. My struggle is then going buccal on the left side of the mouth and lingual on the right side of the mouth, especially making the finish line and the chamfer

In real life you can get them to turn their head and tilt the chin up, manakin can’t tilt the chin up

Lots of practice

Reactions: 1 user
My ergonomics and the way I sit is something I try to be mindful of when drilling and practicing. I dont want to practice and get used to a certain way of drilling in pre-clinic, and be unable, or it not be ergonomically correct to do it on a real patient. But i am struggling heavily with making crown preps. Specifically, when i am preparing either the buccal surfaces on the left side of the mouth, and/or the lingual surfaces on the right side of the mouth. I think its because I am right handed and just find it very difficult preparing these surfaces with indirect vision. Are there any tips on how to get better, or would it be just like anything else and just keep practicing these surfaces with indirect vision and eventually it will come.

Trying to master indirect vision skills. There is an App for indirect vision training. You may find it in the app store by searching Dental MirrorWorks. Play with it consistently(at least 10min per day for one month) and then apply it to dentiform. You will pick up the indirect vision skills quite effectively. After picking up indirect vision skills then, everything goes easy.