Struggling with Self Confidence and Neuroticism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting in my 2nd year, and things are getting extremely tough. I’m not failing anything (that I know of yet), but we just finished our first competency of the semester and I’m struggling with a bad habit of turning in my work confidently and then spiraling afterward about the millions of things I might’ve missed that might stack up to me failing my prep.

I know I have good hand skills. I’ve consistently rocked my didactic courses and my preclinic courses with only one failure of a competency back in first year. Even the instructor told me he knew I had the hand skills and that the failure was just a bad day that got away from me.

So why cant I lean into confidence in my previous work? Why can I practice 10 preps, make them all look great, and then wig out during and after a competency? I know I need to have better self-confidence in myself as that’s not only a benefit to me, but also to my patients.

Is there any advice you guys have for how you’ve dealt with imposter syndrome, neuroticism or overall lack of self-confidence? I would greatly appreciate the help as I love this line of work and don’t want my fear of failing out to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Members don't see this ad.

Confidence is like money.
--- A few of us have it at birth.
---Most of us have to EARN IT with time and practice.
---A few of us can't seem to hang on to it.

Get your "Reps" in and the confidence will follow.

Reactions: 5 users
Tale as old as time for dentists. Fear of failure and perfectionism holding you back from performing confidently.

Sorry I don't have an easy fix for ya. It's a constant work in progress for most people. But just know there are many many people going through the same thing as you.

Reactions: 2 users
My D2 sister or brother I feel you. I'm also struggling. I had a hard time with first year operatives (mostly posterior preps) always on the failing or just passing end. I passed in the end, but it destroyed my confidence. I'm the kinda person that wants to be prepared for the worst outcome. So my brain automatically tells me "You're bad at operative, you're gonna fail" (Subconsciously i think I'm trying to prepare for the worst, but i let it get me.) :( Now in D2, EVERY minute I pick up that high speed i mentally take a moment and tell myself you need to do a 46 FGC, You need to do this this this, you got this! Then I go with more confidence. When I get a positive feedback from the prof I make a mental note and tell my brain and hand and muscle to remember that and replicate that again!!
I'm sure our situation isn't exactly the same, but we can build that confidence back!!