Stony Brook University Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just hope the class of 2013 isn't as dead as this thread, that would suck

i'd take the lack of action in this thread as a positive :p ....oh and join the fb group if you haven't done so already :)

Members don't see this ad.

alright, so its been a while since i posted anything on the thread i started. This is due to a couple of things: midterms and spring break (which just ended for me)
congrats to all those students who matched and it sounds like this year the matching was impressive.

whats everyoen else up to?

Last edited:
Hey J,
Long time no see. I am just trying to get through the last few weeks of work. Things are really lackluster and I can't seem to derive any excitement from my projects... I am just looking forward to August.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear ya, i am looking forwards starting med school.

On a happier note, i will be going to revisit on April 24th, anyone else going?

What goes on at the pre-orientation in June? I'm doing the Air Force HPSP thing and trying to figure out when to schedule my month-long training this summer.

Stony Brook Revisited - Friday, April 24th (10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.)
This program will give you the opportunity to know us better, meet more of our faculty and students, and meet many of the students with whom you will be sharing classes with over the next four years.

Pretty much a meet and greet. It also serves as a chance for ppl who may be on the fence about going to the school in the coming fall.

Stony Brook Revisited - Friday, April 24th (10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.)
This program will give you the opportunity to know us better, meet more of our faculty and students, and meet many of the students with whom you will be sharing classes with over the next four years.

Pretty much a meet and greet. It also serves as a chance for ppl who may be on the fence about going to the school in the coming fall.

Ah, yes, now that I remembered that e-mail i was able to find it in my inbox. I was actually thinking about the following event:

PreOrientation - Friday, June 12th (10:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.)
This program will familiarize you further with the HSC complex, the curriculum, housing and financial aid. You will have the opportunity to get to know your future classmates better and meet potential room/housemates.

... so I'm wondering how lost I'll be in August if I don't attend... how much harder it will be to find housing, etc.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Maybe you can get your questions and concerns answered during the April event?

i didnt know about the june 12 preorientation. I can def make that one since ill be home in NY back from college.

ill still go to the revisit on 4/24 so i look forward meeting all of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. I'm working at a hospital in Manhattan, although only for a few more months. I plan on relaxing as much as possible during the summer before class starts.

i heard about the matching this year... pretty impressive, but that's what I expected when I heard how the class of 2009 is composed of lots of gunners

however, I think that means our year is also a gunner year (if it is true that every other year is selected by the admissions people to be a "gunner" year)

watch, someone's going to write under this post how that's a stupid idea...

how could I think such a thing??? lol

We'll see about the gunners, hehe
Starting school is like one of the few things that's keeping me at my current job. I can't wait till april!!!!

Hey everyone, I've been accepted too.

Is anyone doing a combined track with MPH or know anything about Stony Brook's MPH program?

Congratulations everyone! :thumbup:

i heard about the matching this year... pretty impressive, but that's what I expected when I heard how the class of 2009 is composed of lots of gunners

however, I think that means our year is also a gunner year (if it is true that every other year is selected by the admissions people to be a "gunner" year)

watch, someone's going to write under this post how that's a stupid idea...

how could I think such a thing??? lol

The every other year pattern you speak of is basically every interviewing class (normally MS2s) selecting a class which best resembles itself.
Class of 2009 has its share of gunners and a very impressive match list, but the true gunner class is 2010. their avg step 1 score scared the hell out of us, while also making our school admin very happy. with any luck your class will be a reflection of ours (2011), and you will be much more laid back. and by laid back i mean laid back, not stupid.

Ah, yes, now that I remembered that e-mail i was able to find it in my inbox. I was actually thinking about the following event:

PreOrientation - Friday, June 12th (10:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.)
This program will familiarize you further with the HSC complex, the curriculum, housing and financial aid. You will have the opportunity to get to know your future classmates better and meet potential room/housemates.

... so I'm wondering how lost I'll be in August if I don't attend... how much harder it will be to find housing, etc.

it isn't that big of a deal if you don't attend...from facebook to craigslist and all the housing info they mail to u in the acceptance packet...not to mention all the housing spam emails u will get from classmates, u will still be able to find housing just fine. as far as the curriculum/fin aid, u will be briefed on all of that during your orientation week in august. so if you're nearby, feel free to go, but if not, don't sweat it.

i would instead worry about enjoying your summer before school starts.

Hey everyone, I've been accepted too.

Is anyone doing a combined track with MPH or know anything about Stony Brook's MPH program?

Congratulations everyone! :thumbup:

i dont know specifics but our mphers have extra classes during the week and stay for an extra month after the end of MSI to take MPH courses...for more info id ask grace in admissions and she can direct u to more concrete info.

i dont know specifics but our mphers have extra classes during the week and stay for an extra month after the end of MSI to take MPH courses...for more info id ask grace in admissions and she can direct u to more concrete info.

Thanks! Do you know if MD/MPH students interact with the MPH students?
Could you give me Grace's number I can't seem to find it at the moment, lol. If you can, pm it to me.

Thanks.

The every other year pattern you speak of is basically every interviewing class (normally MS2s) selecting a class which best resembles itself.
Class of 2009 has its share of gunners and a very impressive match list, but the true gunner class is 2010. their avg step 1 score scared the hell out of us, while also making our school admin very happy. with any luck your class will be a reflection of ours (2011), and you will be much more laid back. and by laid back i mean laid back, not stupid.

hmm, this is very interesting

but how much influence could the MS2 students have?

hmm, this is very interesting

but how much influence could the MS2 students have?

MS2s make up the student members of the adcom, and their opinions are given equal weight compared to faculty members

Hey, I will be there on Apr 24. I will be going to SB for sure so I'm excited to meet my class mates! I'm coming in from Manhattan so if anyone is as well I'm up for meeting at the train station and traveling together.

Yeah man, i see signs of (green) life returning to the Strong Isle as I drive to work each day

I saw SB for the first time when I went for my interview in Jan, so I would love to see what the area looks like in the spring! and even though its overcast and kinda cold in the city at least i know summer is around the corner! Im so over this job right now...

i'm gonna go to the revisit too. probably gonna take a train from manhattan.

If you all need a ride, I will be setting out from Astoria. You can take the NW to Astoria Blvd., and we can meet up to drive in together. LIRR is kind of pricey haha.

If you all need a ride, I will be setting out from Astoria. You can take the NW to Astoria Blvd., and we can meet up to drive in together. LIRR is kind of pricey haha.

I might have to take you up on that offer. We are supposed to be there at 10 and the LIRR trains get there either 7:46a or 9:43a....neither of which is good. I will see closer to the time...

Thanks for your offer crypto.:D i may take it partly to see how long it takes to drive from the city. i'll let you know when we're closer to the date.

also did anybody receive financial aid yet? the website has been down for a while now. if I get something that's comparable to what I got from downstate i'll go to stony for sure.

Yep yep, no problem at all. I can take 3 people in my car comfortably.

sup, i will be coming out from jackson heights but im staying for SNMA dinner after the revisit program, so if anyone is also stayign for this and needs to go back to queens, let me know. thanks for the offer though and see you and everybody else soon.

hey, does anyone here live in the stony brook area right now? I have verizon but i'm looking to change my wireless carrier and Im wondering which company has the best service out there.

hey, does anyone here live in the stony brook area right now? I have verizon but i'm looking to change my wireless carrier and Im wondering which company has the best service out there.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. I went to post this same question and happened to read yours. I am wondering how AT&T is. I am thinking of getting and iphone and wanted to make sure the service was good on campus and around port jeff.

current 1st year at Stony Brook. I have verizon and I get good service out here. Signals in the HSC aren't so hot with any service though. But outside the hospital and all around suffolk county i have no problems

i'm actually finishing stony brook undergrad right now

i have T-mobile and it's not bad, although people keep on telling me that their verizon or cingular service is sooooo much better :laugh:

T-mobile = inferior service? no way man, T-mobile ROCKS!

current 1st year at Stony Brook. I have verizon and I get good service out here. Signals in the HSC aren't so hot with any service though. But outside the hospital and all around suffolk county i have no problems

darn i wanted a good reason to switch carriers. I was thinking t-mobile but if the service is worse then it doesnt make any sense. oh well. thanks tho!

does anyone have a vague idea of which direction they want to go in... in terms of specialty?

Does anyone remember anything about a one-time $10,000 allowance to buy a new car in our financial aid package?... I think I remember when I went for my interview them saying that they will allow us to take out an additional ten grand in student loans to purchase a car as part of the FinAid package but I didn't see anything about it on the website.

does anyone have a vague idea of which direction they want to go in... in terms of specialty?

probably endocrinology as of now, but lets see what med school does to this vision. how bout u?

probably endocrinology as of now, but lets see what med school does to this vision. how bout u?

i kind of have to decide whether i want to be in a surgical or non-surgical area, but I'm probably leaning towards surgery

i imagine a lot of surgeons to be like that prick who almost botched the kidney transplant on Carter (ER), hopefully I can learn to deal with people like that. i guess there are pricks at all levels in all specialties

but as you say, i'll see how the vision changes in med school :)

Does anyone remember anything about a one-time $10,000 allowance to buy a new car in our financial aid package?... I think I remember when I went for my interview them saying that they will allow us to take out an additional ten grand in student loans to purchase a car as part of the FinAid package but I didn't see anything about it on the website.

yes, i remember seeing that somewhere... u should call financial office and ask: 631-444-2341 (director of financial affairs for accepted students)

Hey guys, I interviewed 2/17 and haven't heard anything. I called the admissions office today and they told me not to panic, but anyone know if any more acceptances are going out? Should I just hope for the waitlist?