Stony Brook University Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they offer a revist for all accepted students sometime in the spring. i think they have additional visit opportunities, although i'm unsure what they are or what they entail

if you look at the class of 2012 thread you'll see that there is a revisit in mid-April and a pre-orientation in June

Members don't see this ad.

if you look at the class of 2012 thread you'll see that there is a revisit in mid-April and a pre-orientation in June

do you think that we will have the opportunity to shadow a student or the sort?

I'm a current 1st year at Stony Brook. Congrats to you all on being accepted.

Coming from NYC, I was a little worried about making the adjustment to living in the suburbs/driving, but I really like it here. The students are really supportive of each other and most of the faculty members are very approachable and accommodating.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! Enjoy your last few months of freedom!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think that we will have the opportunity to shadow a student or the sort?

didn't see anything in the other thread about that...but i'm assuming that if you are staying with a student for instance and you ask the person to follow them around for a day i doubt they'd say no.

I'm a current 1st year at Stony Brook. Congrats to you all on being accepted.

Coming from NYC, I was a little worried about making the adjustment to living in the suburbs/driving, but I really like it here. The students are really supportive of each other and most of the faculty members are very approachable and accommodating.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! Enjoy your last few months of freedom!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

i was hoping i'd get some access to another NYC native so i have a bunch of questions....

when did u buy a car? how much are you paying for insurance and is there any kind of discount through stony brook? are you over 25 (since i think this matters for insurance)?

is anything ever open 24 hrs? like a grocery store or deli or something?

do u live in an apartment or a house? which part of town to u recommend?

what happens when you go out drinking at night? do you always have to have a designated driver? are there taxis? are there bars within walking distance?

(has it become obvious yet that i know absolutely nothing about the suburbs)

thanks in advance for your help!

ummm it asks for a username and password

but thanks for the info nonetheless...i'll take your word for it

really? weird, i can just see the calendar when i access the site and it doesnt ask me for username or a password.
anyway, all it says is what i said before. There are no info on classes yet.

i was hoping i'd get some access to another NYC native so i have a bunch of questions....

when did u buy a car? how much are you paying for insurance and is there any kind of discount through stony brook? are you over 25 (since i think this matters for insurance)?

what happens when you go out drinking at night? do you always have to have a designated driver? are there taxis? are there bars within walking distance?

(has it become obvious yet that i know absolutely nothing about the suburbs)

thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry SkinMD, I haven't been online in a few days thanks to neuroscience!

I did have to buy a car. I recommend a reliable one because you may have to drive to clinical sites and also because we get a fair amount of snow here. I think you can add a car into your student budget and get some loan money if you need. I luckily had enough saved up.

I pay about 1500 a year in insurance, because I only just got my license when I moved here. I don't know of any discount through Stony Brook, and I am also under 25. Even though it is an expense, please don't let it deter you from attending Stony Brook because it's a really great place. I thought I would hate having to drive everywhere but it's kind of nice not to have to wait for subways or to carry your groceries 5 blocks.

There are some places open 24 hrs. here, we are not totally in the boonies, lol. There are plenty of gas stations and diners open 24 hrs. Even my gym is open 24 hours!

I was concerned at first about finding housing, but at pre-orientation they handed out a list of students who needed roommates and another list of some people looking to rent out rooms, apts. houses, etc. I chose to live in a house with 6 other med students, all first and second years. I pay 525 a month plus utilities, and from what I heard, that's on the cheap side. I live in a town called Centereach, which is about a 15 minute drive from the HSC. Most students live a bit closer, Port Jefferson is really nice but a little bit expensive. I don't recommend the dorms, though. Not many med students live there. Stony Brook and Setauket are nice, close to campus and also affordable.

We go out frequently, there are lots of house parties, and the social chair plan nights out at bars after exams. Most of the good places to eat and drink are in Port Jeff Village. We always have designated drivers, or just leave our car at the bar and take taxis home.

Hope this helps. Let me know if any of you guys have more questions!

Sorry SkinMD, I haven't been online in a few days thanks to neuroscience!

I did have to buy a car. I recommend a reliable one because you may have to drive to clinical sites and also because we get a fair amount of snow here. I think you can add a car into your student budget and get some loan money if you need. I luckily had enough saved up.

I pay about 1500 a year in insurance, because I only just got my license when I moved here. I don't know of any discount through Stony Brook, and I am also under 25. Even though it is an expense, please don't let it deter you from attending Stony Brook because it's a really great place. I thought I would hate having to drive everywhere but it's kind of nice not to have to wait for subways or to carry your groceries 5 blocks.

There are some places open 24 hrs. here, we are not totally in the boonies, lol. There are plenty of gas stations and diners open 24 hrs. Even my gym is open 24 hours!

I was concerned at first about finding housing, but at pre-orientation they handed out a list of students who needed roommates and another list of some people looking to rent out rooms, apts. houses, etc. I chose to live in a house with 6 other med students, all first and second years. I pay 525 a month plus utilities, and from what I heard, that's on the cheap side. I live in a town called Centereach, which is about a 15 minute drive from the HSC. Most students live a bit closer, Port Jefferson is really nice but a little bit expensive. I don't recommend the dorms, though. Not many med students live there. Stony Brook and Setauket are nice, close to campus and also affordable.

We go out frequently, there are lots of house parties, and the social chair plan nights out at bars after exams. Most of the good places to eat and drink are in Port Jeff Village. We always have designated drivers, or just leave our car at the bar and take taxis home.

Hope this helps. Let me know if any of you guys have more questions!

hi, do you remember when was pre-orientation for you guys and did it give you guys enough time to find housing?

thanks for your help.

I was accepted to SB but I would like to end up in a residency on the west coast. I was wondering how difficult it is to get a residency on the other coast. I am considering attending USC instead because I think it may be easier to get a residency out there. Please let me know any thoughts about heading out west after graduation. I need to either say its worth the extra money to secure a spot out west at USC or decide it is doable from SB.

I was accepted to SB but I would like to end up in a residency on the west coast. I was wondering how difficult it is to get a residency on the other coast. I am considering attending USC instead because I think it may be easier to get a residency out there. Please let me know any thoughts about heading out west after graduation. I need to either say its worth the extra money to secure a spot out west at USC or decide it is doable from SB.

First off, the acceptance deposit is refundable at SB. Can't say for sure about USC, but I'm pretty sure it is also.

Regarding your question, I don't think your choice of school will affect your odds of landing a west coast residency. HOWEVER, if you do attend USC, you will be spending your clinical years at USC and its affiliated site. With that said, you will get more exposure while you spend time at the programs. The opportunity (if it exists) to do clinical/clerkships at other hospital may even give you more exposure to west coast programs. If they get to know you, you'll definitely get a leg up on the competition. So while it MAY play a role, you shouldn't let that deter you from attending SB.

In the end, and this is advice I get from almost everyone I spoke with, go to the school you will be most happy at for the next 4 years.

You have time, go out and consult with other people, get their opinions and thoughts.

First off, the acceptance deposit is refundable at SB. Can't say for sure about USC, but I'm pretty sure it is also.

Regarding your question, I don't think your choice of school will affect your odds of landing a west coast residency. HOWEVER, if you do attend USC, you will be spending your clinical years at USC and its affiliated site. With that said, you will get more exposure while you spend time at the programs. The opportunity (if it exists) to do clinical/clerkships at other hospital may even give you more exposure to west coast programs. If they get to know you, you'll definitely get a leg up on the competition. So while it MAY play a role, you shouldn't let that deter you from attending SB.

In the end, and this is advice I get from almost everyone I spoke with, go to the school you will be most happy at for the next 4 years.

You have time, go out and consult with other people, get their opinions and thoughts.

i couldnt agree more with this statement. u gotta be comfortable and feel in place in the school you choose to go. best of luck.

let's get this going.
copy, paste and then fill in the blank, or add more categories.

favorite tv shows:

favorite movies:

favorite video games:

favorite music:

favorite sports/teams:

favorite books:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email offering me a spot on the waitlist and I replied right away that I wanted it. They haven't confirmed anything. Did they get back to any of you to tell you you were on the waitlist? Also, does it go by order or do they pick whoever they like best on the waitlist when a spot opens up? Also, is there any movement before May 15th? How early?
Sorry, I guess I had a lot more questions than I thought I did.

hi, do you remember when was pre-orientation for you guys and did it give you guys enough time to find housing?

thanks for your help.

Pre-orientation was in June. I found my housing sometime in July, and that was fine. I think a lot of leases are August-August, or at least mine was. You will have plenty of time.

I think there was also a second look in April, you might be able to meet some people there that you would be interested in rooming with.

Originally posted by NycNerd
Pre-orientation was in June. I found my housing sometime in July, and that was fine. I think a lot of leases are August-August, or at least mine was. You will have plenty of time.

I think there was also a second look in April, you might be able to meet some people there that you would be interested in rooming with.

thats great! thanks for the input.

i had more questions: how easy is it to find parking on campus and how expensive are the parking passes?

I'm a second yr.

thanks, actually i had question, where would you recommend living first year? on campus or off campus and how easy is it to find housing?
That's up to you. If you have a car, might be better to live off campus. If you don't have a car, then you probably want to live on campus. Living on campus blows asschunks, especially if you aren't in Chapin.

Off campus housing is not that hard to find, there are alot of residential areas where people rent out half their house or rooms to students. I myself live in a house 5 min off campus with a fourth year and 2 grad students.

And apparently you need a car to get everywhere correct?
Pretty much. Surburbia is the same no matter where you go. To get to fast food, mall, target, supermarket, whatever - you need a car.

Is it cheap to have a car there? Is it cheaper if you live on or off campus?

For off campus housing, how do you find roommates?
There are always people moving out who want to get rid of their cars. Stony actually offers a car loan option as part of the financial aid package (I believe its 8000?). Insurance isn't too bad, I pay like 300 bux every 6 months or something - GEICO.

It may or may not be cheaper living off campus. I live in reasonable accomodations and it's 400 a month for me. Some of my friends live in nice housing developments in Port Jeff, and that can run you from 600-800 a month. So it's really all on what you find and want.

As for roommates, the Office of Admissions will compile a list of people looking for roomates as well as off campus housing options and send it out to you sometime later in the year. Also, if you go to second look, you can work that chummy fakeness that everyone will plaster their faces with in the first couple weeks with your soon to be classmates or upperclassmen who decide to show up. Or do SDN/facebook, etc.

if you did, is commuting a hassle because of parking in school or traffic?
Local roads are generally fine in the morning. Rush hour in the morning and evening sucks on 347. As for parking - show up to school after 10PM, and you will be hunting for a spot for at least 20 min. It isn't so bad right now, because all the undergrads are out on winter break, but during the year it's pretty damn f***ing annoying - they don't stay on their own campus, they come over and infest our library and cafeteria and parking spots. I don't give a sh** if they have classes over at the HSC, they can walk.

Does anyone know where I can find Stony's match info?
Call the office and ask, I have no idea.

anyone know if stony brook offers a revisit, or shadow-a-student opportunity for enrolled students?
There's a second look. Some socializing, touring, the usual BSing.

i guess what i meant by the question is, are there any good bars/places to chill around stony brook? lol
There are some, sometime early in your first semester your class will appoint social chairs and they will take care of setting up all your boozing.

Had mine shipped. There is a school discount for GEICO, you need a transcript or something to get it. I got my insurance when I was 24.

7-11, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds on 347, and I think I've seen a 24 hr CVS on 347. Diners. Everything else closes around 10 or 11. POS Long Island.

Port Jeff has really nice housing. Stony Brook, quality of housing varies. Some people trek from Centerreach and farther.

Um, drinking and driving is still illegal. Suffolk has alot of cops that go out in force, also Stony has it's own cops. Designated driver would be good. There are expensive taxis. Nothing is in walking distance if you live in Stony, if you live in Port Jeff, maybe depending on how far you live from Main Street.

i had more questions: how easy is it to find parking on campus and how expensive are the parking passes?
Again, show up after 10 AM and you're hunting for spots or chasing after people who are leaving the HSC. Parking passes are 22 bux a month, but let me tell you, it gets damn frustrating because they don't pro rata that crap so sometimes when you just need a pass for like 4 days or like a week, you have to buy the entire f***ing month if you don't want to hide your car in Chapin and walk. This happens on occasion in your first two years, will happen ALOT in your last two years because you have to return to campus from your off site rotations for lectures or exams or maybe you start a new rotation at the end of the month or something.

yo thanks alot for all the insight eternalrage...i have a few more questions

unlike upstate, stony brook didn't give us first/second year schedule...what are they like? what does your schedule look like first and second year?

how are exams set up? what is this i heard about online exams?

have you heard any significant complaints from third and fourth years? (this question is inspired by the thread trashing Einstein's 3rd and 4th year)

i saw in the c/o 2012 thread that you weren't particularly fond of SB. has that changed? what are your major gripes? what schools did you chose SB over and is there one you would prefer over SB now?

finally...is there anything you know now that you wish you had known before going to SB?

thank you so much for your input eternalrage. besides skinMD questions above, would you say you are generally happy with the decision of attending SB?

also, do you think that by getting the school of med student government involved (assuming of course there is one) they can make parking easier for med students? like restrict undergrads from parking in the slots of the med science school or the sort? has this been tried before and is this even an option or nonrelaistic?

unlike upstate, stony brook didn't give us first/second year schedule...what are they like? what does your schedule look like first and second year?

have you heard any significant complaints from third and fourth years? (this question is inspired by the thread trashing Einstein's 3rd and 4th year)

i saw in the c/o 2012 thread that you weren't particularly fond of SB. has that changed? what are your major gripes? what schools did you chose SB over and is there one you would prefer over SB now?

finally...is there anything you know now that you wish you had known before going to SB?

Currently 4th year at SB so i wont see any of you. But to answer some of ur questions, I think SB is great when it comes to class schedules. When I was 1st and 2nd year hardly any classes were mandatory. There's a noteservice which basically covers all lectures so you really dont have to goto class if that's ur thing (personally I did since that's how i learn but i'd say half the class didnt go).

Exams wise, i think it's changed or may be changing because of arguing among classmates but when i was in 2nd yr all exams could be taken at home on the computer with internet access. Honor code system. I beleive they have this at other places as well.

Overall SB is a great place IMO. Only complaint is lack of food choices in area.

to current students:

can any of you post the required textbooks for MS1 and 2? i am going out of the country and want to bring back international versions of them so i can save money.:D

Also a 4th year, congrats to those accepted. Some thoughts on questions previously posted.

1) Don't live on campus. Apartments are small and nice places in a real house can be found for cheaper. Pretty much the only people I know who lived on campus in my class were international students with no car, which brings me to #2.

2) Get a car. It's essential. If you don't have one, you'll have to beg/plead for rides everywhere and hassle people to trade the off campus clinical sites you will inevitably get so you can stay on campus.

3) Don't buy books until you start. Noteservice (transcription of all lectures) makes a lot of the books obsolete. You'll also be paired with a 2nd year "big sib" who will likely have a book or two to unload free or for cheap.

4) 1st year schedule: Anatomy and Biochem together in the fall with some medical foundations/ICM mixed in. Midterm and finals with NBME exams at the end. Neuro I after Xmas break, then Physio, then Path. End of year I.

5) 2nd year. Start with Micro, Pharm/ICM all year. Then systems, where you do cardio/pulm/renal/gi/etc/not in that order. Tests are called megas, b/c you'll do two systems, then have a test on each blocked together with a pharm test. Tests are online, honor code=taking them wherever you want.

6) If you're looking for a Cali residency where you go to medical school DOES matter, just like if you want a NY residency. Obv. crushing everything will make it easier to get, and people do get them relatively often, but if you have the same grades as a Cali resident, they will likely get the spot, just like you'd get the spot if it was in NY. Just the way it goes.

7) Partying is done mostly at house parties but there are bars in the area. If you think you're going out every night like you do now, good luck becoming a PA.

Any questions feel free to PM.

i agree with all above. But...first years are eager and want to get their books! Just hold off on that. i barely bought a book first year bc my big sib gave me almost everything i needed.

They did up the class size last year but it wont be increasing until the budge cut is lifted. The waitlist moves considerably.

Don't worry about social life--you have designated social chairs. By the time a party is planned you'll be dying for one.

First year at stony brook is a good transition. It's not the mythical nightmare you've heard about. Second year megas are intense..but you get used to them...after you take 15+ exams in a year. Such is med school..

stony brook is isolated. But its long island. Within five minutes you have stop and shops, wal marts, movie theaters, nice restaurants, down port (great in the summer). But still quite enough to study.

PM with your questions.

thank you all for the feedback/advice.

I really like the fact that we will be paired with big sibs, this will make the transition less difficult.

I had a question, do you guys remember when u received ur financial aid package once you were accepted to SB? thanks

I really like the fact that we will be paired with big sibs, this will make the transition less difficult.

I had a question, do you guys remember when u received ur financial aid package once you were accepted to SB? thanks

a lot closer to the start of school, like summer. after pre-orientation maybe?

Everywhere I look all the links on the med school website just redirect you to that calendar.

The fall semester of MS1 has Biochem and Anatomy at the same time, with midterms and finals in both, as well as papers and quizzes, respectively. Along with Anatomy is an Embryology component, which is self taught (they give you a CD of lectures and then an exam to take before the close of the semester).

You also have Foundations, which is a yearlong course about issues in medicine, that means once on a weekly basis, with assignments and exams scattered throughout the year. There is also Intro to Clinical Medicine, which is where you go to clinical sites (this is another reason you might need a car, because some of you will be assigned to the VA, NUMC, Winthrop hospitals, which are all 40 min to an hour away) and practice history taking and physical exams on real patients. There is also Clinical Skill Center simulations associated with this course. ICM is pass fail so don't start freaking out.

The second semester of MS1 is Neuroscience I, Physiology, and Pathology. All have assignments, exams, small group meetings (PBL junk), etc. Again, you will also have Foundations and ICM.

Oh and with almost every course, there is an NBME shelf exam that may or may not be factored into your final grade (depends on the class). At one point, these were also recorded onto your transcript, but I think that's changed or is in the process of being changed since the majority of students tend to bomb these shelves miserably.

Second year starts out with Microbiology, moves onto Neuroscience II, then Systems (Pulm, Cardio, Renal, Endocrine, Reproductive, GI, Connective Tissue). You have MCS (Foundations II) and ICM (which becomes graded this year) all year long.

Well first year most exams are proctored in the lecture halls or computer classrooms, with the exception of embryo and anatomy quizzes. Second year, exams come in blocks (referred to as megas), and you can take them anywhere on the internet. Second year exams can get kinda annoying since unlike first yr exams, you don't necessarily take the exam for a course immediately after (ie Pulmonary component for systems for us ended before Christmas, and I'm taking this exam for it tomorrow).

Nothing too crazy. Assignment of the order in which you do rotations as well as where (Stony, VA, NUMC, Winthrop, Flushing Hospitals, etc.) is all done thru a lottery. Most people get something close to their preferred schedule and location, but for those who don't, it can suck really badly (but they are a small minority). And the quality of instruction at rotations (and hence complaints) depends on interns, residents, and attendings, which can be different from year to year.

Didn't really choose SB. I ended up here as default. My top choice was UT Southwestern, which I was on the waitlist for (i'm from Dallas). I gave up my UT Houston and UT San Antonio acceptances to stay on that waitlist (TX has a weird rule that if you want to remain on a TX waitlist after a certain date, you relinquish any acceptances you have). I gambled and lost, and SB was my only remaining acceptance.

I was pissed off at first, but I guess I'm over it (still bothers me sometimes, especially when I look at my financial debt or get guilt tripped by parents).

There are plenty of things I like about SB. Most classes aren't mandatory, there is a transcription service for lectures, and video in the works. I had ALOT of free time first year (I didn't go to school for half of the first semester and pretty much all of second semester, minus the few mandatory things you have here and there), and still alot of free time this year (didn't go to alot of classes again). It really depends on how well you want to do in these didactic years. I only shoot to pass, and that's pretty damn easy if you know what to do (so get chummy with upperclassmen to get all the intel). This school isn't difficult at all, had a much, much rougher time trying to pass my undergrad JHU engineering program.

So I don't know. I'd have liked to go back to Texas, but at the same time I doubt I would have as easy a time as I'm having here. I have minor gripes, as you've read already - stuff like undergrads overrunning the place, parking issues, cafeteria food sucks, etc. But I suppose this place has grown on me somewhat as well. My classmates are very nice, so that's also a plus.

That brings up an interesting topic. There's this stereotypic trend that both students and faculty will never agree to officially, but is agreed upon somewhat under the table. And I'm sure some current students will disagree with me on this here for the sake of political correctness, but you all can see for yourselves when you come here. As you know, how chill and cooperative a med school class is sometimes makes a big difference in your med school experience. SB has this tendency to make a chill class every other year, and have a not so chill class on the off years. For example, class of 2007, 2009 (current fourth years), and 2011 (current 2nd yrs) are regarded as the nice classes where students are friendly. While the classes of 2008, 2010 (3rd yrs), and 2012 (1st yrs) are not necessarily mean or disgruntled, they have the reputation of being mad gunners (but as a result, have higher grades - there were some crazy board scores in the third yrs class, like near 270!!!)

Soemthing to think about :)

Not really. My girlfriend is a 4th yr and she and her friends pretty much filled me in on everything long before I got here.

thank you so much for your input eternalrage. besides skinMD questions above, would you say you are generally happy with the decision of attending SB?
Let's say I don't hate the decision.

also, do you think that by getting the school of med student government involved (assuming of course there is one) they can make parking easier for med students? like restrict undergrads from parking in the slots of the med science school or the sort? has this been tried before and is this even an option or nonrelaistic?
I don't think they would take the undergrad thing seriously, since there are actually some undergrad courses held on our side of Nichols Road (tho not enough to justify the seas of med student doctor wannabes flooding our building).

There is a good deal of student government here, if you are into that sort of thing, and they do make alot of strides. I do believe something concerning the parking is in the works.

to current students:

can any of you post the required textbooks for MS1 and 2? i am going out of the country and want to bring back international versions of them so i can save money.:D
I've only bought two books since coming here. First Aid, and an anatomy abridged text written by one of our professors (20 bux). Some courses have required textbooks that are completely useless or extraneous. Anything else, you can borrow or buy before the course begins (there's always book sale spamming going on via email). Don't go crazy buying books unless there is a general consensus by upper classmen that insists that you absolutely need it.

Some big sibs don't really do much big sibbing. Others will bend over backwards for you. If you get the latter, milk them for all they're worth.

Yep late summer.

hey i found out out that i got in stony brook's economic program around 1/22 and i found out online. None of my other friends got in yet and i called and ask and they said people should be finding out around 2/15 so how did i find out so early compared to everyone else? and i applied regular decision.

did anyone start a facebook group

hey i found out out that i got in stony brook's economic program around 1/22 and i found out online. None of my other friends got in yet and i called and ask and they said people should be finding out around 2/15 so how did i find out so early compared to everyone else? and i applied regular decision.

i think you are looking in the wrong place, this is the medical school thread.

That brings up an interesting topic. There's this stereotypic trend that both students and faculty will never agree to officially, but is agreed upon somewhat under the table. And I'm sure some current students will disagree with me on this here for the sake of political correctness, but you all can see for yourselves when you come here. As you know, how chill and cooperative a med school class is sometimes makes a big difference in your med school experience. SB has this tendency to make a chill class every other year, and have a not so chill class on the off years. For example, class of 2007, 2009 (current fourth years), and 2011 (current 2nd yrs) are regarded as the nice classes where students are friendly. While the classes of 2008, 2010 (3rd yrs), and 2012 (1st yrs) are not necessarily mean or disgruntled, they have the reputation of being mad gunners (but as a result, have higher grades - there were some crazy board scores in the third yrs class, like near 270!!!)

Soooo...the class of 2013 should be chill then, right? :)

lol... yea our class should be chill according to the trend... im counting on that cause i really liked that bout SB when i visited.

anyone else watchign 24 right now?

Soooo...the class of 2013 should be chill then, right? :)

hhahahaaha. god i hope so.

dont forget when you read the comments written by students they are one person's thoughts about the school. Yah, there are issues we all get fired up about, but what one person says (positively or negatively) should not determine your decision on where to go school. That decision should come from yourself.

Stony brook is great medical school. no matter where you go, there's always going to be something!!!

about 95 percent of the student body lives off campus. on campus housing is extremely limited and is probably not worth it since you run the risk of sharing your unit with a bunch of grad students. you will definitely need a car here, as public transport sucks on the island.

2nd look day is normally around early-mid June, as for shadowing a student, u might email nancy acevedo to see if u could visit for that purpose after your acceptance.

match list info u shouldve received at your interview; 2008's match list was impressive, and 2010' step 1 scores were well above national average.

waitlist moves a fair amount during the summer, id say between 20-30 percent of my class (2011) was taken from the waitlist.

random note: this sounds pretty random and obvious but if you have been accepted to a california medical school, dont waste your time here.

Sometime around orientation, the second years (class of 2012) will send you all a First Year Survival Guide. Or I think they will. I'm not sure if this is an annual service each second year gives to the incoming class.

Anyway, for those of you who can't wait, I will make available the Guide that my class (2011) received from class of 2010. Keep in mind that by the time you matriculate, it will be two years old.

I've uploaded it onto Megaupload - for those of you that have never used it, click on the link, type in the three letter code and click download. Close the annoying pop up that comes up and wait till the ticker is finished counting down from 45 seconds, at which point the ticker turns into a download button. Click on it and open/save the file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PGYKA65M

wow, eternalrage, thank you SO much. that survival guide is awesome! i feel like i should buy you a drink once i get to SB....especially since you are a fellow engineer.

i'm glad that odds are i won't be the only slacker in the class of 2013! ;)

it's good to hear that you've come to love SB... i guess your situation is pretty unique and i don't really expect OOSers to have SB at the top of their list but as an ISer i'm thrilled to be going there.

i have one more question....are there opportunities to do rotations during the third and fourth year in NYC hospitals (downstate, st. luke's, columbia/cornell presbyterian)? if so is it a pain in the ass (administratively or otherwise)? do you know anyone who has done it?

once again thank you so much...all of you

as for the FB group, if there is one can someone post a link :D

wow, eternalrage, thank you SO much. that survival guide is awesome! i feel like i should buy you a drink once i get to SB....especially since you are a fellow engineer.

i'm glad that odds are i won't be the only slacker in the class of 2013! ;)
Lol, that's one awesome thing about Stony. They make it really hard for you to fail.

it's good to hear that you've come to love SB... i guess your situation is pretty unique and i don't really expect OOSers to have SB at the top of their list but as an ISer i'm thrilled to be going there.
Yeah it was kind of a strange situation. Most OOS students are either coming to do MD/Phd, or are from Cali (SB has a soft spot for them).

i have one more question....are there opportunities to do rotations during the third and fourth year in NYC hospitals (downstate, st. luke's, columbia/cornell presbyterian)? if so is it a pain in the ass (administratively or otherwise)? do you know anyone who has done it?
Other med students on this thread, if I am incorrect on any of this please let me know.

In third year, you take 44 weeks of core clerkships in IM, Peds, Surgery, Family Med, OBGYN, Psych, and Ambulatory. I believe these must be done within the Stony Brook system (Stony Brook Hospital, Winthrop, Veterans Administration, NUMC, and they will add Flushing Hospitals sometime soon).

After you complete these 44 weeks during your third year, you can get permission to do your ELECTIVES at other hospitals outside of the Stony Brook circle. However, I think there is a limit to how much you can venture outside the system during fourth year (you can't spend it all outside of SB) - you must do 6 weeks of clinical at a SB site, and another 16 weeks of advanced study at SB sites.

My girlfriend is a fourth year, and she did an elective last fall at I think either NYU, Cornell, or Mount Sinai, I can't remember which. I will ask her where she did it, what the course was for, and what the administrative process in doing this is.

3rd year: 44 core weeks, 4 elective. You really can't use the elective time to do any away rotation, as you will not have completed your home sub-internship yet. What I mean by this for those who might not know the lingo is a 3rd year course is called a "clerkship," meaning it's your first exposure to the specific service. 4th year you complete a sub-internship, where it is expected you will carry the workload of an intern (1st year resident), and have already completed the clerkship (unless it's something rare like ophtho or rad onc). Doing an away Sub-I before your home sub-i would be kinda of strange (as you'd likely to be getting a stronger rec letter from home), but probably not completely unheard of.

4th year: 36 total weeks (2 months off), 16 need to be at SBUH affiliated hospitals.

3rd year: 44 core weeks, 4 elective. You really can't use the elective time to do any away rotation, as you will not have completed your home sub-internship yet. What I mean by this for those who might not know the lingo is a 3rd year course is called a "clerkship," meaning it's your first exposure to the specific service. 4th year you complete a sub-internship, where it is expected you will carry the workload of an intern (1st year resident), and have already completed the clerkship (unless it's something rare like ophtho or rad onc). Doing an away Sub-I before your home sub-i would be kinda of strange (as you'd likely to be getting a stronger rec letter from home), but probably not completely unheard of.

4th year: 36 total weeks (2 months off), 16 need to be at SBUH affiliated hospitals.

thanks!

so basically third year will all be at SB affiliated hospitals. do you know anyone who has done or is doing fourth year rotations in NYC hospitals? which ones do they usually go to? how has their experience been?

P.S. It's awesome that there are so many current students on here taking time out to answer questions

i hear there are exams tomorrow and next week, so good luck to all SB students and thanks for taking the time to fill us in.

thanks!

so basically third year will all be at SB affiliated hospitals. do you know anyone who has done or is doing fourth year rotations in NYC hospitals? which ones do they usually go to? how has their experience been?

P.S. It's awesome that there are so many current students on here taking time out to answer questions

There's some confusing paperwork u have to fill out first but once u do its really not that hard to do aways at NYC hospitals. Ppl have gone to Columbia, Cornell, NYU, MSKCC, etc. U just have to plan ur schedule right. I think students have mixed feelings after going to different programs. It varies a lot depending on if ur rotating in anesth, surg, med, etc.

It's one of the many ways which we may procrastinate

Or slack on 4th rotations until match arrives.

Name a big hospital in the city and likely someone has done an away there already. Some are more complicated than others (Columbia needs their paperwork waaaay in advance), but if you want to do one you can. Realistically you could do one anywhere, but if you're going to be the first you'll have to open a dialogue between the schools to attempt and set up the necessary agreement.

Helloooo...I am new to SDN....just got into Stony on Tuesday!!!!!:):):D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh:. How is everyone doing?!!!!!

I interviewed second week of january....Stony is in my top three.... I loved the school when I went there tho.....

I interviewed second week of january....Stony is in my top three.... I loved the school when I went there tho.....

that was quick acceptance, congrats again. what other 2 schools are in your top?