Step 3 and fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassiusClay

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the sticky on this.

Does Step 3 play an important role in getting a fellowship? Or is it one of those secondary factors if they are looking at 2 candidates who are about the same?

I just took Step 3, and with my luck, I ended up getting a little sick late the first day. I trudged through since I couldn't reschedule at that point. I made it. I passed. Only received a 92 versus the high 90s on the first two tests. So, am I screwed if I ever did try applying for something like GI or Cards? Or they just care if you pass?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding Cardiology fellowship, I interviewed at UMDNJ where I was told that my low step 3 score 79 is a negative factor though I had 98 and 96 on Step 2 and Step1. However I think you are in better position with 92. So for future aspirants be serious about all the exams to make yourself competitive.

what about the importance of step 3 for less competitive fellowships (i.e., infectious diseases)?

should i even take it if my program doesn't require that it is taken right after PGY-1?