Step 2 without rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone has taken the step 2 before starting rotations, or before doing certain important rotations. If you have, please PM me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get any responses? I'm considering taking Step 2 before my medicine rotation.

Did you get any responses? I'm considering taking Step 2 before my medicine rotation.
I know one guy who took it halfway through his medicine rotation and before he had surgery. Had completed all other core rotations at that point, and he just wanted to get it over with.

His score (compared to step 1) went down 10-15 points. The rest of the people in my class whose scores I've heard, who took it a month or two after finishing *all* core rotations, had a 15-40 point increase. (Some hadn't taken it as of mid-nov, so I have no idea about the ones that took it later than that)

Of course, that's n=1, but I'd be reticent to take it without having finished, at the very least, medicine, surgery, and pediatrics (+/- obgyn and psych). Or at the very, very least, medicine (which makes up something like 2/3 of the test).

Raryn, thanks for the tips. I'll probably put it off. I had considered taking it in mid-march. I would have completed Ob/gyn, psych, family, peds, and half of medicine by then.