Step 2 CS required for ranking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DGJekyl33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a mild panic attack here. Due to a number of factors, my Step 2 CS date is't until January 22nd. I think that some programs require you to submit a passing score for CS in order to rank, but I can't find the information on every program website. Short of emailing each and every program, is there any way to check if I am ok with this date?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way I know of (short of contacting them) is to check the program's website. You could ask the program coordinators of those that don't have it listed. I don't know of another way to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
My medical school has told us that it is imperative to get a passing Step 2 CS/CK score posted before ROLs are due. This holds true for the "not as competitive" specialities like ours where Step 1 has less of an importance (read: not dermatology, orthopaedics, etc. as average Step 1 scores for those specialties are higher so PDs don't think it is as much of a risk if a Step 2 score isn't posted by ROLs are due).

Given your case, I would contact every program at which you have interviewed or are interviewing to ask about their policies. I would also try and move that Step 2 CS date up earlier if at all possible - given it takes 2-3 months for scores to be posted, even December is extremely late and scores may not come back in time. Check the reporting schedule on the USMLE website to see if you can take it in time for scores to come back - in fact, if you time it correctly, you might be able to shorten that reporting schedule to 4 weeks if you take it at a tail end of a set reporting period.

Last edited:
Having a mild panic attack here. Due to a number of factors, my Step 2 CS date is't until January 22nd. I think that some programs require you to submit a passing score for CS in order to rank, but I can't find the information on every program website. Short of emailing each and every program, is there any way to check if I am ok with this date?

I am also having this problem. the earliest date for step 2 cs i could schedule was jan. 5 and the results come after rank list. The only EM program i could find so far that requires step 2 cs is Umass. anyone know of others? advice?