Step 2 CS January 2020 Score Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHL ONE

CLASS OF 2020!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on January 29th 2020? 7.5 weeks is a long time especially when you made dumb mistakes on the exam and you begin doubting if you truly passed or not. This wait is a killer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Wishing everyone the best of luck. I heard that the 1 AM FCVS trick is no longer working for US students.

I know that the Step 3 Application trick has historically worked the Monday or Tuesday of release week for some people. I heard that's patched now as well, but I'm still checking it obsessively.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I failed ICE with two more crosses in the borderline than you. I was one cross away from the higher performance box, whatever that even means.

I looked into having it rescored, but I read they don't actually regrade your note. Let's say they give 10 points for HPI, 10 points for physical exam, and 30 points for the diagnosis and workup section. Let's also say you need 30 points to pass and the person grading your note gives you 5 points for your HPI, 5 points for the physical exam, and 19 points for the diagnosis and workup for a total of 29 points, just one point away from passing.

If you have your test rescored, they do NOT actually re-read your note. Instead, they just redo the math. They say well, her original grade was 5+5+19. Let's add those numbers up again. Hmmm... yup, those still add up to 29 points. And thanks for the extra money.

After seeing that, I said screw it and just saved my money and signed up to retake the exam again.

Also note the example of grading I used is totally arbitrary and made up. Nobody knows how this stupid exam is graded. At least for Step 1 and Step 2 CK it's straight forward, either you chose the correct answer or you didn't. And they say it takes ~60% correct to pass the written exams, but they don't release anything about CS, largely because it's arbitrary and they know it's just a money-making scheme.

Same. I had 6 Xs in the borderline box for ICE maxed to the right of the shaded area but nothing past. From what I've seen online- people have passed with just 2 Xs in the higher performance box so I guess that means we were pretty close the first time? We just need to shift 2Xs over

Are you worried about programs not ranking you at all that don't send you an email asking for an update?
Some programs dont as
I thought it still worked for IMGs. Anyway I tried applying and it says Im not eligible to apply for step 3 yet. So now I'm freaking out again.
this is going to be the longest 2 days ever.

Altho I'm pretty sure the step 3 trick only works Wed morning. At best you get it 10 hours ahead of time or something.

Just checked FSMB. It has my correct examination history with a blank line next to CS. I guess it'll be there Wednesday morning 1 am

Just checked FSMB. It has my correct examination history with a blank line next to CS. I guess it'll be there Wednesday morning 1 am
same here. Question: do deans know ahead of time if you passed or not? I heard a student in my class was able to get her Step 2 CK grade before it was reported by talking to the dean. Not sure if it works for step 2cs.

same here. Question: do deans know ahead of time if you passed or not? I heard a student in my class was able to get her Step 2 CK grade before it was reported by talking to the dean. Not sure if it works for step 2cs.

I'm tempted to just email my Dean and ask them if I passed. That'd be super awkward if I failed though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tempted to just email my Dean and ask them if I passed. That'd be super awkward if I failed though.
If u do end up emailing, let me know. I am going to try to look through old threads to see if it happened in the past. lol

Does that mean that scores will come out this coming Wednesday? Mine also shows the correct date of the test but a blank next to pass/fail status. Just wondering if that's an indication that scores will come out in 2 days for sure.

Does that mean that scores will come out this coming Wednesday? Mine also shows the correct date of the test but a blank next to pass/fail status. Just wondering if that's an indication that scores will come out in 2 days for sure.
YEs. this means u will get ur score on wednesday. unfortunately, it is not an indication that you passed/failed.

My school automatically uploads our USMLE exams online at 8 am. So at least I'll figure out a few hours early.

Praying everybody passes! We will get this score and continue to be successful in the Match!!!

Reactions: 1 users
The FCVS trick will show Pass/Fail status at 1AM Eastern time the Wednesday morning of your score release for IMG ( for AMG was patched). Step 3 eligibility trick will work at the same time as well.

If you don't get any update at 1AM Eastern time it mean your score report is not coming that Wednesday, and you have to wait for the following Wednesday. I got my score report on third Wednesday of the score reporting schedule. Score reporting does not depend on when you took the exam. It pretty random. There were examinees who took the exam 4 weeks after me and they got their score report on the first Wednesday.

Last edited:
The FCVS trick will show Pass/Fail status at 1AM Eastern time the Wednesday morning of your score release regardless whether you are AMG or IMG. Step 3 eligibility trick will work at the same time as well.

If you don't get any update at 1AM Eastern time it mean your score report is not coming that Wednesday, and you have to wait for the following Wednesday. I got my score report on third Wednesday of the score reporting schedule. Score reporting does not depend on when you took the exam. It pretty random. There were examinees who took the exam 4 weeks after me and they got their score report on the first Wednesday.

Apparently this trick has been patched up, it didn't work for the last score release.

The FCVS trick DOES NOT WORK for amgs. This was a whole drama on the december release cycle. Mine did not appear till after the main release time. I stayed up till three am, got no results and still passed the next morning. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge you just gotta wait for your score report. I do know some people who said they contacted the dean that morning and got results early but I did not personally try that.

This exam has caused me so much more pain then anything else in medical school.

PS random story first time I scrubbed in to OR I didn't tie the pants well and my pants fell down. I didn't realize for a while why charge nurse was laughing hysterically.

Reactions: 3 users
The FCVS trick DOES NOT WORK for amgs. This was a whole drama on the december release cycle. Mine did not appear till after the main release time. I stayed up till three am, got no results and still passed the next morning. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge you just gotta wait for your score report. I do know some people who said they contacted the dean that morning and got results early but I did not personally try that.

Same for me

This exam has caused me so much more pain then anything else in medical school.

PS random story first time I scrubbed in to OR I didn't tie the pants well and my pants fell down. I didn't realize for a while why charge nurse was laughing hysterically.
Welcome to med school, hahaha. I remember almost passing out during a delivery after trying to smooth talk an OB nurse... twice.

Scheduling permit link on IWA not there ! not sure when this happened , does it mean anything?

From what I've read on other postings. It doesn't mean anything. Some people have said it means you will get your score this Wednesday but idk if its considered definitive.

They would, but from what I've seen in the past, in the morning of the score release date.

AMG here and took the test in early November.

NBME permit disappeared past Sunday with eligibility period still remaining.

On the FCVS website, can't register for STEP 3, score for STEP 2 CS left blank in the exam history section.

Has anyone seen an AMG whose permit disappeared with eligibility period remaining but later found out to have failed???

I understand that the majority of AMG would pass so there could be a sampling bias, but then if any AMG has failed with the permit disappeared,

then it seems that such case would have been made known to us in a forum such as this.

Last edited:

Talked to my dean this morning and they said they receive results about 8 or 9 am EST. Just a few hours before we do.

Anyone try and check their exam history on FCVS ? My Step 1 and CK show pass there and CS shows blank still but has the correct date and number of attempts.

Anyone try and check their exam history on FCVS ? My Step 1 and CK show pass there and CS shows blank still but has the correct date and number of attempts.

Yeah same here, I don’t think it’s going to work until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

My concern is whether a program will just assume I failed and that's why I haven't released, and never inquire about CS....I simply fall into DNR
that is actually a scary thought.
I tried. I am an AMG so it is probably going to be patched for me. If you are an IMG you should try it at 1am tomorrow.

Hello everyone, IMG here, just learned about this whole FCVS trick through this thread.
Does anybody know about a thread explaining it in detail? I had never heard of FCVS before, so not sure how to even go about having an account for my exam history.
I feel kinda dumb even asking but gotta ask anyway.

Hello everyone, IMG here, just learned about this whole FCVS trick through this thread.
Does anybody know about a thread explaining it in detail? I had never heard of FCVS before, so not sure how to even go about having an account for my exam history.

FSMB.ORG > FCVS > look for sidebar examinations

When you log in to the FSMB website, there is a yellow section of the website "Credentialing Services" -> click on FCVS -> click continue -> on the right side of the screen you have designations, personal information... there is also a section "Education & Certification" so click that -> then Examination history

Has anyone seen an AMG whose permit disappeared with eligibility period remaining but later found out to have failed???

I understand that the majority of AMG would pass so there could be a sampling bias, but then if any AMG has failed with the permit disappeared,

then it seems that such case would have been made known to us in a forum such as this.

This is literally in from the first page of this thread:
I can confirm this is true. It is not an indication of pass/fail because my permit disappeared the weekend before I got my score and I failed.

i only day this because I remember reading where people thought it meant they would pass. I thought the same too.

And if you check the author's post history, they're an AMG.

As has already been pointed out, yes they do know ahead of time. n=1, but my advisor emailed me the morning my Step 1 score came out with "Congratulations on passing Step 1!" as well as my score, even before I got the notification from the NBME that my score report was available to view. I'm just taking this to mean that if I do not get frantic emails about how to what to do regarding the match and CS tomorrow, then it means I probably passed.

Also, I know the FCVS trick has been patched for AMGs, but that hasn't prevented me from making an FCMB account anyway, and it won't prevent me from staying up this evening until 1 am to check.

When you log in to the FSMB website, there is a yellow section of the website "Credentialing Services" -> click on FCVS -> click continue -> on the right side of the screen you have designations, personal information... there is also a section "Education & Certification" so click that -> then Examination history
Awesome! Thanks so much! Still nothing but I’ll check at 1 AM... fingers crossed!!