Staying motivated during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been on here much since starting first year but now being basically done with first year my goal was finish with atleast a 3.5 which I thankfully achieved.

I feel like starting second year I’m not as motivated as first, still focused but i really want to keep doing well second year. Podiatry is just really stressful with the emphasis on grades and it’s very exhausting. Combining that with some negative things about podiatry and medicine in general you start to lose a little drive.

Obviously not looking for smart*** answers but something to keep in mind...What kept/keeps you motivated through school and boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly for me it's my SO. We have similar goals in life and we want to achieve them together. Even if I didn't have my SO, I window/online shop a lot of cool cars and houses and that keeps me motivated. Looking at residency programs I want to go to helps me too. Checking up on how much debt ur in might be great motivation.

If you find yourself becoming bored, try getting hooked up with a professor and going to the OR with them. Seeing the cooler stuff of podiatry might help re-ignite the fire in you

Reactions: 1 users
I had a a typical job during my gap year just sitting in a cube and staring at a computer all day. I watched how my coworkers in my field that were much older than me lives were and I wanted no parts of that. My motivation comes from my fear of landing back in that cube.

The days that are the hardest I like to remember that there are plenty of people who live their whole entire lives in a cube. Doing things they have no real interest in, working with people they hate to make money for people they don't even know, just wishing they would have taken another path when they were younger.

You are very fortunate to be pursuing a degree in podiatry and being apart of the U.S medical world. You may think your life sucks right now but in actuality you are living a life millions of people across the world can only dream of.

My advice to you would be to find a long term goal to motivate you. Then set short term goals that lead to your long term goal. Let your short term goals push and motivate you towards success, giving you little wins along the way. And most importantly when there is a goal that you can't hit and you fall short as we all do, you never define yourself by your failure. But turn your failures into lessons that fuel you and push you towards where you want to be.

Thank you for attending my TED talk lmao

Reactions: 5 users