Staying in Touch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisstupid11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you stay in touch with Podiatrists you met before starting Podiatry School? It seems awkward forcing a conversation but would definitely want them to remember for me because I plan on asking them for a LOR for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you stay in touch with Podiatrists you met before starting Podiatry School? It seems awkward forcing a conversation but would definitely want them to remember for me because I plan on asking them for a LOR for residency.
Essentially 100% of first pass students will simply use letters from their podiatry faculty. If you participate in research you might ask said professor for a letter.

Now for the burn.

No matter how well you know a professor it is entirely possible they will write a garbage template form letter. The letters are of such poor quality that they really contribute nothing and honestly barely warrant a glance except to make sure they don't say something bad.

Last of all, a pre-podiatry letter really can't be worth anything. The person observed you as a student - not as a podiatry student. So they can't have really held you up to any standard other than a person who shadowed.

Perhaps your situation is different but I would simply tell you - this isn't worth fretting about. Don't maintain contact for the purpose of a letter. Maintain contact because you are going back to the area and want to be their peer, want a future mentor, genuinely like the etc.

And because I can't help myself - and when the time comes this person who opened the doors of podiatry to you will offer you an associate salary of $75K / 30% collections :) wink wink!

Just for your amusement - people who don't match the first time usually show up with a diversity of letters ranging from local pods they "preceptored" with to faculty writing letters explaining their weaknesses and what they did to correct them.

Reactions: 1 users
Essentially 100% of first pass students will simply use letters from their podiatry faculty. If you participate in research you might ask said professor for a letter.

Now for the burn.

No matter how well you know a professor it is entirely possible they will write a garbage template form letter. The letters are of such poor quality that they really contribute nothing and honestly barely warrant a glance except to make sure they don't say something bad.

Last of all, a pre-podiatry letter really can't be worth anything. The person observed you as a student - not as a podiatry student. So they can't have really held you up to any standard other than a person who shadowed.

Perhaps your situation is different but I would simply tell you - this isn't worth fretting about. Don't maintain contact for the purpose of a letter. Maintain contact because you are going back to the area and want to be their peer, want a future mentor, genuinely like the etc.

And because I can't help myself - and when the time comes this person who opened the doors of podiatry to you will offer you an associate salary of $75K / 30% collections :) wink wink!

Just for your amusement - people who don't match the first time usually show up with a diversity of letters ranging from local pods they "preceptored" with to faculty writing letters explaining their weaknesses and what they did to correct them.
thank you for your response @heybrother ! Do you mind clarifying what you mean by your last sentence? Residency directors always talk about standing out and having a "unique" letter but glad to know that its normal just to use faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last sentence refers to people who didn't match and are trying again for a second year (ie. trying to match with the class below them). My experience at interviews was these students had often reached back to faculty to try and write a sort of "explanation" for why they didn't match or what the student did wrong.

Perhaps there are students with unique letters but I saw very little of it. I've told this story before but a student I was very familiar with received a "junk" template letter from a podiatrist that they wrote 2-3 papers with where they did real work. I remember reading it and thinking the student deserved to much more. They matched somewhere great so it didn't matter but it annoyed me at the time.

I'm like 3 years out now so my timing is off, but you ask for letters during end of 3rd year / beginning of 4th to the best of my recollection. So - who are you going to get letters from other than your faculty.

Reactions: 1 user

I sent him all my friends and family from where I grew up so he could care for them. And when I was home, I'd pick up the phone and leave him a message at his office, telling him I was in town and to call me if he wanted to get together to hang out. He rarely did, but was very appreciative of the patients I sent him.

Reactions: 1 user

Send a thank you note if you haven't already for helping get you into the profession. Tell your school dean/assoc dean that this person was instrumental in helping you make your decision and ask them to send a note. They might even know them.

Moving forward, send an occasional text or email about a cool case or something you learned that reminds you of when you were shadowing.

In your clinicals, ask if you can stop by the office to shadow, even if only a day around holidays.

Reactions: 2 users
Most schools make you do a third year rotation at a private office. I'd recommend asking your school if that opportunity is available at your school. Ask that doc for a letter of rec. Its likely more unique than the template LOR most staff unfortunately uses.

Another alternative is to be involved in leadership stuff, as long as it doesn't affect your GPA. The more face time and interaction you get with your professors and admin the better letter you will likely get.

I also agree with Dr. Rogers. I asked my pod that I shadowed if I could come back every so often. Messaged them if I ran into their classmates or the occasional research question.y The ended up writing a great letter. That being said, a good month at a program and a good GPA are definitely more important than a letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 users
Start dating their daughter...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users