Stay away from orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Tooth

Just open your own practice, keep it super low overhead and undercut the fee. If you can do Ortho for $2000-3000 per case then you’d be insanely busy.

Members don't see this ad.

As you say yourself, "Get out of that little hole and meet reality." I love getting called "delusional" and "Donald Trump" by beginner dental students with posts still talking about DATs, who were in diapers when I took the DATs. When you graduate school, work for a few years, pay taxes and bills, manage a staff, and have children who are as old as you are now, then at that point I can take your opinions more seriously. In the meantime, keep on working on that typodont, and try not to drop your iPhone while you work on your cadaver. Enjoy your warm little cocoon, as the real world awaits you in a few years. Sincerely, Dr. Donald Trump, DDS, MS, President of the USA. And BTW, when I say "Crooked Hillary" I'm just commenting on her incisal crowding.

New poverty line in the US is now making 6 figures and being unable to finance yachts and ferraris. How terrible.

You could’ve stopped after undergrad and got a job way above the poverty line.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well what do I know. I’m just a doc that associates paid off his school loans... bought a practice and house. Ask some of the old timers for their input.

Anyways back on topic, sorry for starting this tangent lol.

@Tooth

Just open your own practice, keep it super low overhead and undercut the fee. If you can do Ortho for $2000-3000 per case then you’d be insanely busy.

That won't work. Overhead is a monster. There is always a limit to how much you can cut your overhead. If anything .... with inflation .... everything goes up no matter what you do. As for low fees. EVERYONE out there is doing $99/month Care Credit or 3rd party financing braces. You'll be competing with the deep pocket Corps in that arena and you will lose.

Keep your overhead moderate. Have a small practice in a small office next to some GPs and a Pedo. Promote yourself as a quality orthodontist with adequate fees. Cater to patient referrals through exceptional care (you know .... the old way of building a practice). Work with the GPs and Pedos to develop professional relationships with the aim to provide superior care to the mutual patients. Emphasize Phase 1 or Interceptive treatment with young kids to differentiate yourself from all the aligner dentists. This was my mode of practice, but unfortunately .... my facilities were dinosaur sized and it wasn't simple to downsize.

Personally .... I wanted patients to see me for my reputation, not because I offered $99/mos payments.

Reactions: 2 users
@Tooth

Offering low fee is not good enough. You still have to provide excellent care so your patients refer their friends and relatives to you. You can survive without the GP referrals but you can’t survive without word-of- mouth referrals.

In order for them to offer $99/month, the corp offices have to stretch the payments to 30-36 months for a 24-month case. And to qualify, the patients need to have good credit. At my office, everyone qualifies. I compete against the corps by offering lower fee. My patients are usually ok with my slightly higher monthly payment amount of $110-140/month because I don’t stretch them out to 30-36 months like the corps. The beauty of ortho is you can bypass the dental insurance companies and 3rd party financing companies by offering your own in-house interest-free payment plan directly to your patients.

It’s not easy to keep the overhead low. You have to learn to work with fewer staff. You have to work as an extra assistant when it’s busy. Keep your tx mechanics simple but effective. For example, bands the molars (instead of using bondable tubes) to avoid breakages, delays in the tx progress, and emergency calls. Use closing loops (instead sliding powerchain mechanic) to close spaces faster. Don’t spend too much unnecessary time talking to one patient (especially for new patient consultation) and make other patients wait etc. Working for busy chain offices has taught me all these. The higher the number of patients you treat, the more you learn. Working for a busy chain office is like doing an extra year of GPR.

I came very close last year to starting up but totally chickened out. I don't regret it either. I'm pretty sure I would have crashed and burned big time after about 6 months. I just couldn't answer the questions, "Where are the patients going to come from?" and "Who's going to pay for all of this?" IF I were to ever leave I would buy a practice. But with SDC poised for exponential growth, I'm not inclined to leave my cushy job any time soon. As an employee I can walk away pretty much whenever I want. If this is the final ortho wave, I can ride it all the way to the shore and all I lose is my job. I don't have a practice note and that's very comforting at this time.
I had same worries like you when I graduated. That’s why I didn’t start my own office until 4 years later. We, orthos, are very lucky that we can still keep our associate jobs while starting our new office. Having a stable income from my associate job really helped reduce the stress of running my own office at the beginning when I didn't have a lot of patients. The general dentists cannot do that.

Last edited:
I had same worries like you when I graduated. That’s why I didn’t start my own office until 4 years later. We, orthos, are very lucky that we can still keep our associate jobs while starting our new office. Having a stable income from my associate job really helped reduce the stress of running my own office at the beginning when I didn't have a lot of patients. The general dentists cannot do that.
Unfortunately, my employer isn't as friendly to this scenario as others. My employer has made it quite clear that they do not want to employ orthos who are doing that. There were additional contractual penalties if I tried to hire any of my team members to work with me in my own office. So don't take it for granted if your employer is allowing you to do that.

Unfortunately, my employer isn't as friendly to this scenario as others. My employer has made it quite clear that they do not want to employ orthos who are doing that. There were additional contractual penalties if I tried to hire any of my team members to work with me in my own office. So don't take it for granted if your employer is allowing you to do that.

When I was exploring working for the Corps .... I was told the same thing from Pac Dental. They do not like to hire orthos who have a separate private practice. But there are other Corp entities out there that will do so. It has to work for them and you. I was lucky in that I was hired part time and when I sold my practice .... they were more than happy to hire me as the full time ortho at ONE office. I do not need to travel to different locations.

Oh, I see. I guess the reason they have that restriction is they are able to give you a FT job and want your full commitment. Most places here in CA only have enough patients to hire us a few days a month and we have to travel to other offices (including our own offices) in order to get FT hours. That's why most employers here don't have that restriction.....because if they did, no one would work for them.

Oh well what do I know. I’m just a doc that associates paid off his school loans... bought a practice and house. Ask some of the old timers for their input.

Anyways back on topic, sorry for starting this tangent lol.

I agree with you, this is one of those things that people need to find out for themselves, and student loans never go away cant be discharged in bankruptcy.

Oh, I see. I guess the reason they have that restriction is they are able to give you a FT job and want your full commitment. Most places here in CA only have enough patients to hire us a few days a month and we have to travel to other offices (including our own offices) in order to get FT hours. That's why most employers here don't have that restriction.....because if they did, no one would work for them.

Back in the day, they didn't care. However now the corps want to take over everything and don't want you working in your own office. Although I think orthos who have their own office are more engaged in the corporate office. It's hard to turn thing your brain off. I worked for a corporation that wasn't in the city of my office. When they opened in my city, they offered to buy my practice out. When I refused, I was fired.

New poverty line in the US is now making 6 figures and being unable to finance yachts and ferraris. How terrible.
I wish it was that simple, and when I was in college and dental school I thought it was. You simply can't compare a hard working individual with 3 jobs and little education trying to make ends meet, to a person with extensive education owning and operating a business. While the latter is obviously overall better off, but that person invested a lot of time, money, and RISK. All of those years of investment in time and finances leads to a lot of debt, and an expectation of an income that allows a certain level of lifestyle, which at least for me did NOT include yachts, luxury cars, or exotic travel. I'm fine driving a Honda and taking a nice family road trip, staying at modest inexpensive homes I find on AirBNB. I DID expect to have a pleasant work schedule and a healthy balance between my family and career. But after you put in all of that effort, you find out that tax law discriminates against small business owners, especially those with educational and business related debt. You find out that a lot of what you were told about your profession is rapidly changing, some arguing for the better and others arguing for the worse. There are lots of variables that determine how each one of us perceives the changes, and this forum really brings that point home. There's no one answer that fits all of us, and I hope you find out that everything you hoped for and expected comes true. Spoiler alert.........it usually doesn't, but most of us come to terms with reality and make it work anyways. For most, it means rolling up our sleeves and rolling with the punches, while a very small minority decide they want to and are able pursue something else. And a certain number gives up and pursues self destruction. Take good enough care of yourself and you'll stick around long enough to see it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand now that you just can't reason with someone that just doesn't have any real life experience.

I personally don't have any kids yet...Would I go personally tell someone how easy it is to raise three kids are...when I never had kids? No...I wouldn't...It would make me look pretty stupid.
It would be like a freshman predent telling a senior dental student (who got into OMFS) how "easy" dental classes are and that OMFS is a quite easy to get in and that the senior's omfs residency isn't that good because they don't enough surgeries and that the real good OMFS residency is so-and-so because they do x-y-z better.
It would be like a freshman telling a dental student that dental school is a joke to get in...when they haven't even applied.
It would be like telling a navy veteran that the bootcamp ain't that bad because you did some over-the-weekend course at the local gym that stimulated what they go through.

Now doesn't it sound inane when someone who doesn't even have their diploma tell you that you did your business decisions wrong and that they know 5 dentists making 500k and that you didn't do it right....I just can't even reason with that. Now with Orthostr8 post...I can reason with what he has said. I think he can also reason with what I say. For example, even though on paper my net for the month of December was 25k, half of it went to me which is 12.5k, the other half went into business bank account, and the I'm saving most of all of it...for taxes and loans. He understands that I just didn't take "home" 25k. He understands it and he understands how "hard" it is to do that.

You just can't reason it out until life gives you some experiences. I guess, I found myself sometimes posting and wasting time reminiscing about the good ol-pre-dent forums where I was 7-10 years ago...but I realize that I just can't reason over there... and it was a waste of time.

Therefore, I migrated from the pre-dent...to dentist forums for that reason. But I guess it's not enough. I can understand chatting with dentists about the future of ortho and whether it's worth it..but it makes no sense to chat about future of ortho/dentistry/business with someone that doesn't have a license. Oh well.

As an aside, I am a mentor at the local dental school and it's always interesting to keep in touch with new grads. Most of them...after a year...understand the reality of dentistry. It's quite enlightening to see a change in hubris...to dam it isn't that easy to make it in this field. Anyways good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I understand now that you just can't reason with someone that just doesn't have any real life experience.

I personally don't have any kids yet...Would I go personally tell someone how easy it is to raise three kids are...when I never had kids? No...I wouldn't...It would make me look pretty stupid.
It would be like a freshman predent telling a senior dental student (who got into OMFS) how "easy" dental classes are and that OMFS is a quite easy to get in and that the senior's omfs residency isn't that good because they don't enough surgeries and that the real good OMFS residency is so-and-so because they do x-y-z better.
It would be like a freshman telling a dental student that dental school is a joke to get in...when they haven't even applied.
It would be like telling a navy veteran that the bootcamp ain't that bad because you did some over-the-weekend course at the local gym that stimulated what they go through.

Now doesn't it sound inane when someone who doesn't even have their diploma tell you that you did your business decisions wrong and that they know 5 dentists making 500k and that you didn't do it right....I just can't even reason with that. Now with Orthostr8 post...I can reason with what he has said. I think he can also reason with what I say. For example, even though on paper my net for the month of December was 25k, half of it went to me which is 12.5k, the other half went into business bank account, and the I'm saving most of all of it...for taxes and loans. He understands that I just didn't take "home" 25k. He understands it and he understands how "hard" it is to do that.

You just can't reason it out until life gives you some experiences. I guess, I found myself sometimes posting and wasting time reminiscing about the good ol-pre-dent forums where I was 7-10 years ago...but I realize that I just can't reason over there... and it was a waste of time.

Therefore, I migrated from the pre-dent...to dentist forums for that reason. But I guess it's not enough. I can understand chatting with dentists about the future of ortho and whether it's worth it..but it makes no sense to chat about future of ortho/dentistry/business with someone that doesn't have a license. Oh well.

As an aside, I am a mentor at the local dental school and it's always interesting to keep in touch with new grads. Most of them...after a year...understand the reality of dentistry. It's quite enlightening to see a change in hubris...to dam it isn't that easy to make it in this field. Anyways good luck!
Well written. We use to tell underclassmen "get some hours before telling me how life is". That poster looks foolish.

@Tooth

Easier said than done. That's like saying "If you can offer $6 filet mignon and lobster dinners, you'll be busy", " If you can sell $15,000 Lexus 300s, you'll be insanely busy." As a start-up that could be deadly advice for your practice.

Somewhat off topic, but related to noobs giving advice. At my Corp job yesterday .... one of the ortho asst's (2 yrs of experience) came into my office and told me that he did not agree with a clinical decision I had made. I looked for the right words to say to him, but an asst with 2 yrs of ortho experience telling a seasoned orthodontist with 26 plus yrs of experience including treating thousands of patients, hiring and training 100s of assts, and purchasing 1 ortho practice, buying a 3000sq foot office condo and resultant costs to build that ortho office and starting 3 ortho practices from scratch. I thanked him for his concern and .........the rest was behind closed doors. :).

As others have stated. If you choose to provide commentary. Preface your post with your experience and acknowledge some respect to those experienced dental veterans. If you have none (business and practice management experience) .... maybe you should say on the sidelines and learn from others. This is not a game for these orthos trying to make it in the business and personal world. They're giving you a glimpse into the real world financial struggles of being a dentist and running a small business.

I think the reason some kids come on here and try to discount what you say comes down to 2 things.
1) Denial. Nobody wants to hear that the profession that they just dropped $3-400K for is becoming harder and harder to make money in. So they will try and find every example they can to discount what you say, so that they feel more optimistic about what they signed up for.

2) There are multiple, reliable practitioners posting here that are much more optimistic about dentistry. They have been very financially successful (not saying you haven't). They incorporate certain specialty procedures into their workflow, with clinically acceptable results. Even you yourself said that you do better than your specialist colleagues in your town. There was also an income survey on dentaltown of practice owners (all GPs), and the average ended up being surprisingly high (somewhere close to 400K). If you say one thing, then Dr XYZ says something totally different, who are they supposed to believe?

I agree with you, kids on here look stupid when they're in their first year of DS or haven't even started yet and are giving advice on how to practice. However, the success people are having out in the workforce varies highly, and I don't think things are so black and white. I wouldn't take advice on college from someone who just started high school. But I also wouldn't skip college just because someone who actually did go to college told me that it wasn't worth it. The smart person will take all reliable sources into account and formulate their opinion from there. I for one enjoy your insight and hope you don't let these pre-dental practice experts deter you from sharing your experiences.

I forgot this thread was about ortho specifically, but I think what I posted above still applies (different people have different experiences).

Somewhat off topic, but related to noobs giving advice. At my Corp job yesterday .... one of the ortho asst's (2 yrs of experience) came into my office and told me that he did not agree with a clinical decision I had made. I looked for the right words to say to him, but an asst with 2 yrs of ortho experience telling a seasoned orthodontist with 26 plus yrs of experience including treating thousands of patients, hiring and training 100s of assts, and purchasing 1 ortho practice, buying a 3000sq foot office condo and resultant costs to build that ortho office and starting 3 ortho practices from scratch. I thanked him for his concern and .........the rest was behind closed doors. :).

As others have stated. If you choose to provide commentary. Preface your post with your experience and acknowledge some respect to those experienced dental veterans. If you have none (business and practice management experience) .... maybe you should say on the sidelines and learn from others. This is not a game for these orthos trying to make it in the business and personal world. They're giving you a glimpse into the real world financial struggles of being a dentist and running a small business.
Exactly.
I've been out of school for 12 years, in private practice for 10 years. Worked for corporate for 5 years. Built 5 offices from scratch, sold 2 and closed one.

Some of the posts on page 5 of this thread are the most insightful and of the highest quality I have ever read on SDN.

I wish it was that simple, and when I was in college and dental school I thought it was. You simply can't compare a hard working individual with 3 jobs and little education trying to make ends meet, to a person with extensive education owning and operating a business. While the latter is obviously overall better off, but that person invested a lot of time, money, and RISK. All of those years of investment in time and finances leads to a lot of debt, and an expectation of an income that allows a certain level of lifestyle, which at least for me did NOT include yachts, luxury cars, or exotic travel. I'm fine driving a Honda and taking a nice family road trip, staying at modest inexpensive homes I find on AirBNB. I DID expect to have a pleasant work schedule and a healthy balance between my family and career. But after you put in all of that effort, you find out that tax law discriminates against small business owners, especially those with educational and business related debt. You find out that a lot of what you were told about your profession is rapidly changing, some arguing for the better and others arguing for the worse. There are lots of variables that determine how each one of us perceives the changes, and this forum really brings that point home. There's no one answer that fits all of us, and I hope you find out that everything you hoped for and expected comes true. Spoiler alert.........it usually doesn't, but most of us come to terms with reality and make it work anyways. For most, it means rolling up our sleeves and rolling with the punches, while a very small minority decide they want to and are able pursue something else. And a certain number gives up and pursues self destruction. Take good enough care of yourself and you'll stick around long enough to see it all.

I used to run my own business, just not in dentistry. I handled all the finances, all the permits that the city required the business to get, e.g. fire permits, neon light permits. and all of that makes it a headache to keep the business afloat. In the end The business kept me afloat and gave me a living. I have a honda and went on vacations, only difference is I don't have kids, and might not plan to have any so that for sure is a game changer as I was just scraping by.

So don't go on claiming I have no real life experience when I spent a good number of years in the small business market in a different area.

I see a ton of hypocritical posts just about now. People telling people not to go into dentistry and go into engineering/accounting/computer science when they have never stepped foot in those careers and yet claim you must have experience before talking back to experienced dentists.

Nowhere in this thread was I giving any advice in regards to running a dental pratice or how to get by as a dentist because I have zero experience there. The only advice I was giving is to count your blessings because you are a dentist and not a part time retail worker. All the dentists here aren't living on the poverty line and should stop acting like they are.

You are assuming the poor people working 3 jobs to make ends meet didn't take risks? Many of them took risks leaving their home country to come here and that to me is considered a risk. You think you are better than them because you went to school and got an education.

Last edited:
I used to run my own business, just not in dentistry. I handled all the finances, all the permits that the city required the business to get, e.g. fire permits, neon light permits. and all of that makes it a headache to keep the business afloat. In the end The business kept me afloat and gave me a living. I have a honda and went on vacations, only difference is I don't have kids, and might not plan to have any so that for sure is a game changer as I was just scraping by.

So don't go on claiming I have no real life experience when I spent a good number of years in the small business market in a different area.

I see a ton of hypocritical posts just about now. People telling people not to go into dentistry and go into engineering/accounting/computer science when they have never stepped foot in those careers and yet claim you must have experience before talking back to experienced dentists.

Nowhere in this thread was I giving any advice in regards to running a dental pratice or how to get by as a dentist. The only advice I was giving is to count your blessings because you are a dentist and not a part time retail worker. All the dentists here aren't living on the poverty line and should stop acting like they are.

You are assuming the poor people working 3 jobs to make ends meet didn't take risks? Many of them took risks leaving their home country to come here and that to me is considered a risk. You think you are better than them because you went to school and got an education.

I don't think the other guys are saying dentist live on the poverty line, but a six figure salary doesnt transate to living high on the hog like I used to think, I think that' what that are saying. Most who haven't worked or owned a business can' grasped that. Now you have so you get it. The point is giving a realistic picture hopefully will get these kids thinking now about expenses and how it' gonna work rather then later. When your first job makes 140k at the mill and the 450k loans have to start to be paid with all the other thing ie malpractice, taxes, etc, all of a sudden it looks small. With your 12 years you will do fine, you know what to expect. I can't say the same for many of your collegues.

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly.
I've been out of school for 12 years, in private practice for 10 years. Worked for corporate for 5 years. Built 5 offices from scratch, sold 2 and closed one.

@Firm

Can you make it in Ortho nowadays if you come out with no loans and a space you can use as a start up when you’re out of residency? Or would you advise just remaining a GP?

I would only say don't go into dentistry if it' more than 2x your salary, more than that I don't know if the numbers justify it. For me it' s a numbers game. It' simply getting to difficult to get a cheap education outside of state schools.

Like I said, not based off of owning a pratice or any dental experience but based off of finances in general a debt to income ratio of 1:1 is ideal after school.
Anything beyond 2:1 is where it gets tough. And just based off of how much it would cost many ortho grads to get their certificates it really makes no sense to go down that route.

@Firm

Can you make it in Ortho nowadays if you come out with no loans and a space you can use as a start up when you’re out of residency? Or would you advise just remaining a GP?
You can make it work but not the traditional ways in the most populated areas unless you want to struggle for a long time. The problem with orthodontics is that for having so many "smart" people in the profession, we really don't know how to think. We see something working or appear to be working and we copy every detail of it. The public gives you zero credit for being a clone of another orthodontist.

Nowhere in this thread was I giving any advice in regards to running a dental pratice or how to get by as a dentist because I have zero experience there. The only advice I was giving is to count your blessings because you are a dentist and not a part time retail worker. All the dentists here aren't living on the poverty line and should stop acting like they are.

Do you actually read what people write or just glance at it, make your assumptions, and shoot from the hip?
1. You have no personal knowledge of how any dentist on this post lives, so you can't tell them to act or stop acting a certain way with regards to what they say about personal financial matters. You can reason with them and discuss things, but it's clearly not your MO. Grow up and approach the mature level of your more experienced peers, not do a limbo under the bar.
2. You've seen "a ton" of hypocritical posts? There have been a few by newbies such as yourself, and the experienced members called them out on it, although they don't seem to get it and continue to air out their clueless opinions. They will just need to live and learn. Such is life.
3. You can have all the life experience you want, but you don't have dental life experience, so you are unqualified to judge experienced dentists to tell them they are doing just fine and that they should stop whining. You have no ground to stand on, period. Stating that obtaining fire permits somehow translates into being qualified to comment on running a dental business is one of the most absurd things I have seen in this post, although you have some competition.
4. You write about me, "You are assuming the poor people working 3 jobs to make ends meet didn't take risks? Many of them took risks leaving their home country to come here and that to me is considered a risk. You think you are better than them because you went to school and got an education." I hope you read your dental texts more closely than you read mine as you totally missed and twisted what I wrote, and made foolish assumptions. I have plenty of friends who got in rickety boats, or dodged Soviet machine gun helicopters during the Soviet Afghan war in the 80's, to get to this country, so there's no question they took existential risk to start over here. One of my friends spent an evening in an Iranian prison cell chained to the wall by his neck. I don't think I'm better than them. In fact, they have more guts than I will likely ever have, as I pray that my mettle will never be tested in the ways they experienced. When I wrote the word "risk," it was clearly aimed at the concept of financial risk as it applies to earning a living, not bodily risk. To equate the two in a forum discussing the financial and lifestyle trends of a particular profession is simply stupid. Based on your logic, we should all just shut up and be thankful we're not police officers or firemen who face a potential life threatening risks every day. But wait, I risk my life every day when I drive to work, as the odds of being killed in an automobile accident are statistically present. So I guess I DO risk my life every day to drive to my climate controlled office with padded chairs. Man, I really am one tough dude. Wow, I really like viewing life through your narrow lens. I feel so much better.
5. So at this point you have called me delusional, Donald Trump, and an elitist snob. Good for you, and good luck with your obnoxious attitude. Reply anything you want to this post - just please make it more creative than your past insults - but I will not reply as I'm done lowering myself attempting to reason with you.

Since I started posting a few weeks ago I've received numerous private messages from articulate and insightful young dentists and dental students, and for that I'm thankful that I joined this post. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, just to respectfully analyze and debate things as I see them. Regardless of our concerns for the outlook of our esteemed profession, we are still fortunate to have many fine people on their way to joining our ranks. And that is a positive that cannot be stained in any way. We also have some others joining our ranks, but nothing's perfect.

Sincerely,
Donald

Reactions: 4 users
Like I said, not based off of owning a pratice or any dental experience but based off of finances in general a debt to income ratio of 1:1 is ideal after school.
Anything beyond 2:1 is where it gets tough. And just based off of how much it would cost many ortho grads to get their certificates it really makes no sense to go down that route.
I agree, that' the advice I give kids when they ask.

Speaking about the tangent about “dental business,” it truely is a different animal. Have you ever wondered why some dental offices just are so unorganized and don’t bill correctly or always have issues... it’s because ownership is dam hard.

On Wednesday I run one assistant one front and two hygiene. My front called in sick. I had no front but yet I had 30 patients the same day. I was left stranded deer in headlights while having to do 3 implant cases, crowns, fills and 18 hygiene checks. During my “minimal downtime” I went out to the waiting room and greeted each patient, I picked up every phone call and asked to leave name and message and we would get back to them, I had to deal with every single dental problem on top of doing good dentistry and appearing personable and calm. At the end of the day I had 30 charts to sign, everyone went home at 5 and I stayed til 7 in the office posting and doing all the checks and balances before the night ended. All this for a net worth of -1 mil dollars (practice purchase). I cash flow at 300k+ but technically my net worth is -1mil.

Now you sorta see why hey getting a bachelors degree and becoming a data scientist (brother in law) first job making 100k with no debt seems like a much better deal? By the time he’s my age when I graduated dental school he has 4 years of earning, stocks and compounded interest working for him. Actually more like 5-6 or even more 10 years of interest/retirement working for him. Most associates don’t fund or match retirements and by the time you go ownership which is usually 2-3 or more years after associating you finally setup a retirement fund account....

Now I might sound complaining but I’m just giving a different perspective. I’m okay with where I’m at. It’s decent money. To many times people go into health for money. It’s a stable job and pays decent relative to debt. There are better alternatives in my opinion.

Do you actually read what people write or just glance at it, make your assumptions, and shoot from the hip?
1. You have no personal knowledge of how any dentist on this post lives, so you can't tell them to act or stop acting a certain way with regards to what they say about personal financial matters. You can reason with them and discuss things, but it's clearly not your MO. Grow up and approach the mature level of your more experienced peers, not do a limbo under the bar.
2. You've seen "a ton" of hypocritical posts? There have been a few by newbies such as yourself, and the experienced members called them out on it, although they don't seem to get it and continue to air out their clueless opinions. They will just need to live and learn. Such is life.
3. You can have all the life experience you want, but you don't have dental life experience, so you are unqualified to judge experienced dentists to tell them they are doing just fine and that they should stop whining. You have no ground to stand on, period. Stating that obtaining fire permits somehow translates into being qualified to comment on running a dental business is one of the most absurd things I have seen in this post, although you have some competition.
4. You write about me, "You are assuming the poor people working 3 jobs to make ends meet didn't take risks? Many of them took risks leaving their home country to come here and that to me is considered a risk. You think you are better than them because you went to school and got an education." I hope you read your dental texts more closely than you read mine as you totally missed and twisted what I wrote, and made foolish assumptions. I have plenty of friends who got in rickety boats, or dodged Soviet machine gun helicopters during the Soviet Afghan war in the 80's, to get to this country, so there's no question they took existential risk to start over here. One of my friends spent an evening in an Iranian prison cell chained to the wall by his neck. I don't think I'm better than them. In fact, they have more guts than I will likely ever have, as I pray that my mettle will never be tested in the ways they experienced. When I wrote the word "risk," it was clearly aimed at the concept of financial risk as it applies to earning a living, not bodily risk. To equate the two in a forum discussing the financial and lifestyle trends of a particular profession is simply stupid. Based on your logic, we should all just shut up and be thankful we're not police officers or firemen who face a potential life threatening risks every day. But wait, I risk my life every day when I drive to work, as the odds of being killed in an automobile accident are statistically present. So I guess I DO risk my life every day to drive to my climate controlled office with padded chairs. Man, I really am one tough dude. Wow, I really like viewing life through your narrow lens. I feel so much better.
5. So at this point you have called me delusional, Donald Trump, and an elitist snob. Good for you, and good luck with your obnoxious attitude. Reply anything you want to this post - just please make it more creative than your past insults - but I will not reply as I'm done lowering myself attempting to reason with you.

Since I started posting a few weeks ago I've received numerous private messages from articulate and insightful young dentists and dental students, and for that I'm thankful that I joined this post. I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, just to respectfully analyze and debate things as I see them. Regardless of our concerns for the outlook of our esteemed profession, we are still fortunate to have many fine people on their way to joining our ranks. And that is a positive that cannot be stained in any way. We also have some others joining our ranks, but nothing's perfect.

Sincerely,
Donald

I said I had experience running a small business and admitted I have no business speaking about running a dental practice which I admitted to and have never done.

And with regards to obtaining the fire permit I had to call up contractors to replace and move one of our air conditioning units from the roof and have it placed on the ground because the fire department considered it a hazard. So I had to find out ways to finance that job and it wasn't cheap. I had to budget for that in order to keep operating because the previous owner had a **** ton of fire safety hazards that didn't past inspection I had to fix.

My point is and will always be that a 200k salary is a crap ton of money and people live on far less.
Now 200k with over 600k debt is a different story and I've been against that from the beggining.

Exactly.
You're the man.....not sure how you have time to straighten teeth with all of the business related stuff you have had going on in just 12 years. I've also been out 12 years. I worked for corporate and also started one office, and dabbled with starting two low risk satellites before deciding to concentrate on my primary location and try to make it the best it can be. The jury is still out whether I was right.

I think I've said it before, there are plenty of people out here that will sell you the dream, that there is no better time to be a dentist. Of course these are folks in th he business of selling to dentists. consultants, equipment reps, ce courses, you know the ones with angles. There are seminars that will tell you they will hold you by the hand and do a start up and get you to a million dollar practice all you have to do is sign on the dotted line and commit to locked in contract. All I ask is after you hear all the sales pitches, come back and get some advice from those who have been in the trenches. Go take a look on DT read up on the newbs and some of the struggles. I have nothing to sell you, I just want you to take a step back and look again.

Retirement is also a big issue, you graduate at 26, associate maybe start saving at 30 then a couple of more years before you get real aggressive about saving, and rememer you are in charge of your own retirement, no one is going to do any matching for you. So as you can see you can easily be a decade behind your peers, which is crucial as it relates to compounding interests.. I would tell every freshman start an Ira 250 a month at 22 your 42 year old self with thank you.

Retirement is also a big issue, you graduate at 26, associate maybe start saving at 30 then a couple of more years before you get real aggressive about saving, and rememer you are in charge of your own retirement, no one is going to do any matching for you. So as you can see you can easily be a decade behind your peers, which is crucial as it relates to compounding interests.. I would tell every freshman start an Ira 250 a month at 22 your 42 year old self with thank you.

Many people see 200-300k debt and 150 income as in === work 2 years and then debt is gone because 150+150=300

To be honest I thought the same way before I started working.

After talking to my accountant and financial planner... I was so wrong but at least they set me up for success for retirement and savings.

Many people see 200-300k debt and 150 income as in === work 2 years and then debt is gone because 150+150=300

To be honest I thought the same way before I started working.

After talking to my accountant and financial planner... I was so wrong but at least they set me up for success for retirement and savings.
Yeah it' quite the wake up call isn' it, people alot of times don't realize owning a dental office is a small business in a very unforgiving way.

To all the orthos that have left valuable advice I thank you very much.

@Firm @Tooth @orthostr8 @2TH MVR @charlestweed

Knowing what you all know now having been in Ortho practice. Imagine you are back in dental school. Knowing what you know now do you still do Ortho, and what would you do differently if anything?

Thanks again!

You're giving awesome advice. The only caveat is if you have kids and by the time you are actually working the family expenses make it difficult to find money to set aside for retirement. It's funny you mention 42, as that's my age. I utilized the 401k at my previous corporate gig and still now maximize my IRA contributions for my spouse and I every year, but it's still pennies for what we're going to need. Especially given the ballooning health care expenses for the aging and the looming collapse of Medicare and Social Security, which is projected to become insolvent right about when I would likely retire. Great Ponzi schemes, though, with today's deserving seniors being assisted with my taxed income that isn't being invested for me and will run out by the time I'm supposed to collect it.

Now let's see one of our pre-puberty "designated agitators" give me a lecture on family planning and birth control and that I should have either not had them or taken out life insurance polices on them and killed them so I could collect..........

Knowing what you all know now having been in Ortho practice. Imagine you are back in dental school. Knowing what you know now do you still do Ortho, and what would you do differently if anything?

Thanks again!
Hmmmmm. Well, if your question was one step back, I would have simply stayed out of health care, but you cleverly worded your question to avoid that reply, so I'm stuck answering your real question.

I would have still gone into ortho, as my ortho residency did not add much debt. The main change is I would have worked longer and more hours at my associate gig to save up money so that I would need less loans to start my private practice. And when I started it, I would have completely ignored everything I was told at ortho conferences and ortho resident meetings about how to start and run an ortho practice. I would have instead looked at the retail world to understand and target the mindset of "consumers," and get it out of my head the braindead mantra that we are all taught that we are holy doctors proving divine dental treatment and the masses will bow down to our brilliance and skill. They don't. I would have tried to squeeze in an MBA doing classes at night or online, and read up on leadership, communication, organizational, motivational, and sales skills. I look back at the practice management guru articles from just 10 years ago and the meeting handouts and it's like reading how the world is flat.

Basically, I would have become a businessman wearing an ortho clinical coat, not a scientific nerd struggling to run a business.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Yes on being an Orthodontist. No regrets at all. I can't complain since I caught a little of the good old days (early 90's, early 00). Ortho is easy on the body and IMO less stressful than doing GP procedures.

What would I have done differently? Maybe practice in a smaller community although I do love the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Best advice: Start a group practice with some GP's, Pedo. For years I tried this, but trying to get everyone to do this was difficult. Dentists just have this mindset to do things solo. If I was a 3rd year or 4th year ortho res ... I would be in touch with some Pediatric 3rd or 4th yrs residents with a plan to start a group practice. At the same time .... talk to some 3rd or 4th year GP students also. All these potential partners would be at the same school if you attended a traditional dental school. It's much easier to have 3,4,5 dentists help to finance a building than being a solo. Shared facility. Mutual referrals. Shared costs and overhead. Camaraderie. Win-win. Yes ... I realize that the ortho is on the receiving end of this, but an orthodontic practice brings in a lot of patients that do not have a GP. The ortho can refer the adults to the GP. Kids go to the Pedo. Practicing on your own, in your little confined space, being responsible for EVERYTHING is not fun. A serious lack of camaraderie.

The other regret was that since I did practice in the swinging 90's-00's ..... my two practices were TOO big and overhead intensive. This really hurt the last 8-10 years. I couldn't move the one office since it was housed in my own building. The other was right next to a GP buddy, so I was very hesitant to move.

No regrets. :)

You're welcome.

Yes on being an Orthodontist. No regrets at all. I can't complain since I caught a little of the good old days (early 90's, early 00). Ortho is easy on the body and IMO less stressful than doing GP procedures.

What would I have done differently? Maybe practice in a smaller community although I do love the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Best advice: Start a group practice with some GP's, Pedo. For years I tried this, but trying to get everyone to do this was difficult. Dentists just have this mindset to do things solo. If I was a 3rd year or 4th year ortho res ... I would be in touch with some Pediatric 3rd or 4th yrs residents with a plan to start a group practice. At the same time .... talk to some 3rd or 4th year GP students also. All these potential partners would be at the same school if you attended a traditional dental school. It's much easier to have 3,4,5 dentists help to finance a building than being a solo. Shared facility. Mutual referrals. Shared costs and overhead. Camaraderie. Win-win. Yes ... I realize that the ortho is on the receiving end of this, but an orthodontic practice brings in a lot of patients that do not have a GP. The ortho can refer the adults to the GP. Kids go to the Pedo. Practicing on your own, in your little confined space, being responsible for EVERYTHING is not fun. A serious lack of camaraderie.

The other regret was that since I did practice in the swinging 90's-00's ..... my two practices were TOO big and overhead intensive. This really hurt the last 8-10 years. I couldn't move the one office since it was housed in my own building. The other was right next to a GP buddy, so I was very hesitant to move.

No regrets. :)
I'm going off the topic a little, but this is good stuff for us to discuss. Great point for mentioning the idea of trying to get a group practice. However, I think it is much more realistic to try partnering with graduating pediatric dentists than GP's. If you have a group ortho/pedo practice, or even a shared space that to an outsider doesn't seem like a group practice, you have a fighting chance that outside GP's will still refer to you. If you're in a group practice with GP's, the outside GP's won't refer at all. This may still be a moot point given the decreasing rate at which GP's refer ortho patients in general. And many pedo residencies are teaching their residents to do their own ortho. If you are going the group practice route and are getting a large group together that would have enough ortho to keep you busy, gosh that's a big practice and I don't see how a bunch of recent grads are going to be able to start that from scratch and build it up quickly, or have enough money to buy something that large. You're thinking along the right lines, as the old patient supply lines no longer exist, but I don't think we have yet figured out the magical pill.

I think the solution lies in orthodontists establishing their own ortho group practices, so that we all share the combined overhead, decrease redundant locations, and together have the best technology, have great hours for patients without each doc killing himself, better supplies buying power, and can pool our combined resources to directly market to the public, and possibly even buy dental and pedo practices that will supply us with patients. (Why do we have to have three orthodontists within 50 yards in each "hot" location? We can either adapt the sound business advantages of corporate style ortho on our own terms and do it in a way that still allows excellent patient care, or continue our current ways and wait for the guys in the suits and MBA's to force us to work for them on their terms. And this same concept applies even more so to general dentists. In fact, in my area in the Midwest, the GP's are being taken over by large groups much faster than ortho practices. Of course, this means we all need to start thinking differently, as we all have independent and inflexible mindsets that don't serve us well in the new market. Within ortho, we have to start getting over our petty arguments in one vs two phase tx, which distalizer we use and the "other one" we would never use. Closing loops vs. powerchain, self ligating vs twins, intrusion arches vs reverse curve mechanics. Invisalign is awesome vs Invisalign is inferior orthodontic treatment. We revel in our individualism, which is the American way, but it will be our unraveling. Just ask private practice optometrists or any retail mom and pop store, if you can still find one not currently working in Walmart. We can start to protect our mutual interests before it's too late - we're getting close - or wait for corporate America to exploit our differences.

Of course, this will likely not work in the more rural areas with low population density, but the dynamics in those places are different and it's likely a different model that I am not qualified to expound upon regarding current realities and future trends. (Wow, someone in this forum who volunteers that they are not qualified in a select topic. Who ever heard of such a thing?)

I'd love to hear from experienced specialists or GP's on this topic. I feel pretty strongly about this, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

You're giving awesome advice. The only caveat is if you have kids and by the time you are actually working the family expenses make it difficult to find money to set aside for retirement. It's funny you mention 42, as that's my age. I utilized the 401k at my previous corporate gig and still now maximize my IRA contributions for my spouse and I every year, but it's still pennies for what we're going to need. Especially given the ballooning health care expenses for the aging and the looming collapse of Medicare and Social Security, which is projected to become insolvent right about when I would likely retire. Great Ponzi schemes, though, with today's deserving seniors being assisted with my taxed income that isn't being invested for me and will run out by the time I'm supposed to collect it.

Now let's see one of our pre-puberty "designated agitators" give me a lecture on family planning and birth control and that I should have either not had them or taken out life insurance polices on them and killed them so I could collect..........
Thanks, I'm 45 and I wish someone told me alot of this stuff at 26, that's what people neglect, although you make 200k good money, taxes, sl, practice note, malpractice, license fees, and nowwwww we get to family, you know house mortgage, vacations with family, Medical insurance for family of 4 can run up to 1600 a mnth easily. As you see when it' all said and done you are living a very upper middle class life. Continue to sock away in your Ira, also if you can put money away in taxable accounts not just retirement. The nice thing about ortho is it seems you can practice for a long time.

Thanks, I'm 45 and I wish someone told me alot of this stuff at 26, that's what people neglect, although you make 200k good money, taxes, sl, practice note, malpractice, license fees, and nowwwww we get to family, you know house mortgage, vacations with family, Medical insurance for family of 4 can run up to 1600 a mnth easily. As you see when it' all said and done you are living a very upper middle class life. Continue to sock away in your Ira, also if you can put money away in taxable accounts not just retirement. The nice thing about ortho is it seems you can practice for a long time.

And I'm 30 and I know firsthand many of my friends that have no student loans, making 6 figures, have been putting maximums into 401k at the age of 22-23...stock portfolios...and work just a simple 8-5.

I graduated at 25/26. Paid off my loans at 28 (had sub 200k). Bought a practice at 29, I started putting 401k just last year, barely put any as I was getting rid of student loans. No stock portfolio. At least no more student loans. So you sorta understand now how someone that "just has a bachelors" making high 5 figures/low 6 figures is doing relatively well compared to the doctor later down the road. Technically i think if I stayed an associate I "could" be better off then ownership...but I do see the positives in ownership. Relatively few practices "fail," and you can always sell it later down the road. Think of it as "renting" and "owning a house." Pros and cons to both.

All of this finance stuff, if there's still any pre-dentists browsing...will make more sense later in life. Things like overhead...break-even...interest...taxes everything. I almost spilled my coffee when I read that quote about technology. LOL. Absolutely no clue about OH.

Geesh. I'm the old guy here. 55. To add to Rainee's "renting" and "owning a house". I would add one more item. Buy your own building to house your practice. At 1st ... it was a huge, expensive undertaking. Now, in my 50's .....having sold my practice to another now ortho leasing my office (triple net NNN) .... it was one of my best financial decisions. At my other location .... I leased 2700sq feet in a retail area. OMG. The lease was ridiculous. It kept escalating every single year. I was responsible for replacing the expensive A/C units when they died. I also paid the landlord all the insurance, prop taxes, maintenance, management, etc. etc (AKA NNN triple net). I mentioned previously that I only stayed since one of my better referral sources was right next door.

Also .... early on .... get a financial planner and a dental specific accountant. I've worked with these same individuals my entire career. Lets face it. Most dentists, if not all, do not know anything about MONEY and TAXES. We know how to spend it. These money specialists can monitor your business financials and insure tax strategies. Profit Sharing Plans, 529 College savings plans for the kids (I have two), etc. etc. I met with Matt (my Acct) every quarter to review the practice financials. I paid him and his company a monthly fee ($340) plus corp/pers tax return fees and he was worth every penny. By paying a monthly fee .... I could get his professional advice on ANYTHING financial and I wouldn't be nickel and dimed. He did all my quarterly tax returns. Payroll was done in house.

Point is ..... we're good with teeth, but most of us know nothing about MONEY. Get professional help.

And I'm 30 and I know firsthand many of my friends that have no student loans, making 6 figures, have been putting maximums into 401k at the age of 22-23...stock portfolios...and work just a simple 8-5.

I graduated at 25/26. Paid off my loans at 28 (had sub 200k). Bought a practice at 29, I started putting 401k just last year, barely put any as I was getting rid of student loans. No stock portfolio. At least no more student loans. So you sorta understand now how someone that "just has a bachelors" making high 5 figures/low 6 figures is doing relatively well compared to the doctor later down the road. Technically i think if I stayed an associate I "could" be better off then ownership...but I do see the positives in ownership. Relatively few practices "fail," and you can always sell it later down the road. Think of it as "renting" and "owning a house." Pros and cons to both.

All of this finance stuff, if there's still any pre-dentists browsing...will make more sense later in life. Things like overhead...break-even...interest...taxes everything. I almost spilled my coffee when I read that quote about technology. LOL. Absolutely no clue about OH.

Excellent advice, the only thing I will add is when it comes to choosing a financial advisor, MAKE SURE YOU READ WHITE COAT INVESTOR ON PICKING ADVISOR, the reason I say this is that field is full of salesman not actual advisors, looking to sell you high price insurance products you don't need.

Geesh. I'm the old guy here. 55. To add to Rainee's "renting" and "owning a house". I would add one more item. Buy your own building to house your practice. At 1st ... it was a huge, expensive undertaking. Now, in my 50's .....having sold my practice to another now ortho leasing my office (triple net NNN) .... it was one of my best financial decisions. At my other location .... I leased 2700sq feet in a retail area. OMG. The lease was ridiculous. It kept escalating every single year. I was responsible for replacing the expensive A/C units when they died. I also paid the landlord all the insurance, prop taxes, maintenance, management, etc. etc (AKA NNN triple net). I mentioned previously that I only stayed since one of my better referral sources was right next door.

Also .... early on .... get a financial planner and a dental specific accountant. I've worked with these same individuals my entire career. Lets face it. Most dentists, if not all, do not know anything about MONEY and TAXES. We know how to spend it. These money specialists can monitor your business financials and insure tax strategies. Profit Sharing Plans, 529 College savings plans for the kids (I have two), etc. etc. I met with Matt (my Acct) every quarter to review the practice financials. I paid him and his company a monthly fee ($340) plus corp/pers tax return fees and he was worth every penny. By paying a monthly fee .... I could get his professional advice on ANYTHING financial and I wouldn't be nickel and dimed. He did all my quarterly tax returns. Payroll was done in house.

Point is ..... we're good with teeth, but most of us know nothing about MONEY. Get professional help.

Ya it's incredible how much rent is. It's like every year I will get a pay decrease every single year for the rest of my life as a dentist. Think about it. Rent is always going up. NEVER DOWN. Plus you are locked in a 5-10 year lease that is always going up. My previous seller was paying half what I am paying 15 years later. I get it...inflation and blah blah blah. But where is the payout? We have rent up, staff wages up, supplies up, more competition, more dentists opening friday/saturday, and I don't think most insurance companies are going to start reimbursing higher. Could always go OON or FFS but good luck with that. Even if you were to go OON or FFS...there's only so much you can charge a crown....1000$....its not going to be 2000$ FFS in the next decade. The profession on the whole looks like its trending downwards, which I firmly believe, but many pre-dentists absolutely do not see that. They say technology makes up for it...um...in order to be profitable in this market, you have sustain a do-able overhead and now-a-days a 35-45% overhead means running a LEAN/MEAN practice.

Meh. The job is still sustainable at 35-45% overhead but there will be a breaking point and it will most likely come in the next 1 to 2 decades. I think dentistry will always be profitable but it has to be "worth it." I would never do dentistry at 10% overhead. That's insane. I'm sorta curious to hear what solutions you guys would come up with to still make it worth it with these odds? By the way...I'm not looking for some pre-dentist lecture about how "10%" is still worth it compared to the other thousands of jobs...work first before making a inane statement.

Ya it's incredible how much rent is. It's like every year I will get a pay decrease every single year for the rest of my life as a dentist. Think about it. Rent is always going up. NEVER DOWN. Plus you are locked in a 5-10 year lease that is always going up. My previous seller was paying half what I am paying 15 years later. I get it...inflation and blah blah blah. But where is the payout? We have rent up, staff wages up, supplies up, more competition, more dentists opening friday/saturday, and I don't think most insurance companies are going to start reimbursing higher. Could always go OON or FFS but good luck with that. Even if you were to go OON or FFS...there's only so much you can charge a crown....1000$....its not going to be 2000$ FFS in the next decade. The profession on the whole looks like its trending downwards, which I firmly believe, but many pre-dentists absolutely do not see that. They say technology makes up for it...um...in order to be profitable in this market, you have sustain a do-able overhead and now-a-days a 35-45% overhead means running a LEAN/MEAN practice.

Meh. The job is still sustainable at 35-45% overhead but there will be a breaking point and it will most likely come in the next 1 to 2 decades. I think dentistry will always be profitable but it has to be "worth it." I would never do dentistry at 10% overhead. That's insane. I'm sorta curious to hear what solutions you guys would come up with to still make it worth it with these odds? By the way...I'm not looking for some pre-dentist lecture about how "10%" is still worth it compared to the other thousands of jobs...work first before making a inane statement.
So true. I was thinking about the rent and increased costs this morning. Every year I have to earn more just to stay the same. My office has either increased or decreased by 20% every year. There is no such thing as getting to a good place and holding steady. I was trying to figure out my next "gimmick" to grow 20% in 2018 and "will it work?"

Its a nasty conundrum I find myself in and many that start out, when you start you want to be in a highly visible area, speaking as a GP, you end up going for a retail spot next to a Starbucks and Gamestop and pay for it. As the years go by and you have a built in 3% increase on your rent and you notice taxes have gone up and it gets passed to you, you think about " maybe I should build" here is the issue after you have built a solid following in a convienent spot, are you going to go 1 million into debt to build if there are no other places around? I guarantee that PPO schedule isn't going up 3% a year. You want to start ou the gates running but you end up getting stuck in an expensive strip mall you have to pay every year.

Thanks again!
No, I wouldn’t do anything differently. I keep practicing ortho the same low cost way that I was taught 15+ years ago (traditional brackets and wires) until I retire. There are enough low income patients (and this population is growing rapidly) to keep me busy. I didn’t need to do any demographic study to find out where the high income earners live. I just set up my shops next to the corp offices and compete against them. I don’t mind losing patients to other private ortho offices because they have better newer equipment than mine and because they offer invisalign tx and my offices don’t. Why pay $2000 in lab fee when I can get a full set of brackets for $20? The profit margin is the same even when I charge $2k less. And it’s also much easier for the patients to accept tx when it’s $2k cheaper. One thing I love about ortho is the full autonomy. It makes no sense to let Invisalign company dictating the lab fees, the numbers of cases I have to treat in order to become an elite provider, and the type of intraoral scanner I have to buy etc.

You asked @Firm earlier whether you can make it in ortho if you don’t have any loan and an office to practice. Having zero debt still does not guarantee success. Right now, I don’t have any loan and I still have to travel to 4 of my own and 2 corp offices. I probably make less than a GP, if I only work at 1 office location. From my personal experience, facing real life challenges (being an immigrant, learning English, working minimum wage jobs, student loan burden etc) actually helped more than it put me at a disadvantage. I don’t think I would have had the same motivation, if I grew up in a more comfortable environment. If I had wealthy parents who gave me a debt-free practice right after graduation, I wouldn’t be able to learn how to keep the overhead low….I wouldn’t have enough patients to learn to improve my clinical skills. I am glad that I worked at the corp offices and learned so much from the job before I set up my own offices.

Last edited:
No, I wouldn’t do anything differently. I keep practicing ortho the same low cost way that I was taught 15+ years ago (traditional brackets and wires) until I retire. There are enough low income patients (and this population is growing rapidly) to keep me busy. I didn’t need to do any demographic study to find out where the high income earners live. I just set up my shops next to the corp offices and compete against them. I don’t mind losing patients to other private ortho offices because they have better newer equipment than mine and because they offer invisalign tx and my offices don’t. Why pay $2000 in lab fee when I can get a full set of brackets for $20? The profit margin is the same even when I charge $2k less. And it’s much easier to for the patients to accept tx when it’s $2k cheaper. One thing I love about ortho is the full autonomy. It makes no sense to let Invisalign company dictating the lab fees, the numbers of cases I have to treat in order to become an elite provider, and the type of intraoral scanner I have to buy etc.

You asked @Firm earlier whether you can make it in ortho if you don’t have any loan and an office to practice. Having zero debt still does not guarantee success. Right now, I don’t have any loan and I still have to travel to 4 of my own and 2 corp offices. I probably make less than a GP, if I only work at 1 office location. From my personal experience, facing real life challenges (being an immigrant, learning English, working minimum wage jobs, student loan burden etc) actually helped more than they put me at a disadvantage. I don’t think I would have had the same motivation, if I grew up in a more comfortable environment. If I had wealthy parents who gave me a debt-free practice right after graduation, I wouldn’t be able to learn how to keep the overhead low….I wouldn’t have enough patients to learn to improve my clinical skills. I am glad that I worked at the corp offices and learned so much from the job before I set up my own offices.

It has to be a really tough market to have to work out of 6 offices and work on weekends to make a comfortable living. My hat off to you.

You are in a much better financial shape than when I was at your age. At 30, I had close to $1 million in debts (student loan, home mortgage, 2 leased cars etc). I didn’t start my own practice until I was 33. In 15-16 more years, when you reach my age, you will be ahead of where I am now.

Last edited: