Statistics on GI fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaceReality

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
see it for yourselves....

http://www.gastro.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=989

Matched Applicant Statistics
Number
% Matched
US Grad
67%
US Foreign
7%
Osteopathic
5%
Foreign
20%
Fifth Pathway
0%
Canadian
1%

Positions Matched per GI Tracks
Number
% Matched
Clinical
99%
Research
97%
Clinical Investigator Research
93%
Basic Science Research
85%​

Basically there are 280 spots in the nation for GI. And there are only 191 clinical training spots in the country. The others involve a lot of time doing research, which is fine if you want an academic career.

Thought I'd share this as I have been seeing way too many residents on the interview trail shooting for GI and having no idea what they are up against. I think its good to know the statistics to have a better game plan for this increasingly competitive field.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that it is very competitive,especially since these stats ony represent the number of people in the match-not the total pool of applicants applying for GI,which is much higher.All programs are claiming they have anywhere from 250-300 applications for a few spots.

I think I am beginning to give up.

at almost every interview i've been at, a massive chunk of the interviewees want to do GI. ive even had interviewers tell me how annoying it is that people are all flooding to either cardio or gi without giving other fields a try. i wonder why? salary maybe? haha.

what's even more funny is that over 3/4th of the people in my class that want to do IM want to do GI. its sad that people just chase salary all the time. and the best part is that even if you get in, by the time you graduate the market will change big time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many total applicants are there nationwide for these 280 spots?

Do you think the number has increased this year with ERAS?

so i was wondering does a graduate of a us allopathic medical school have an advantage as compared to an img who attended the same residency program and has similiar stats... also if the us grad have an advantage how much of an advantage is it like alot or just a little...

because it looks like only 20% of img's get into gastro.. thanks for your help

AMG have a good advantage over FMG and osteopathic grads even taking residency into account. It's all part of your resume. I think a FMG needs to really set themselves apart. Fair or not, that's the way it is

FMG's are at a huge disadvantage. But i wouldn't say impossible, as there are IMG's getting in. They are really good, and the few that I have seen a good chunk had attending experience back home.

No idea, but just wanted to reiterate that these stats are a breakdown of the backgrounds of the enrolled fellows (not applicants nor accepted applicants). Without the denominator, you can't talk about how competitive anything is.

g-apathy