Starting Residency: What to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenHoganFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting radiology residency in July. What books are you reading/buying before you start?

I have the following:
Brant and Helms
Primer of Diagnostic Imaging
Radiology Secrets
Radiology Recall

Has anyone seen the Pocket Radiologist series? Would you recommend them?

BenHoganFan
"You'd think my handicap was a four since I always seem to yell it."

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your PD what he/she is requiring the first year residents to read. Some programs actually go through Brant/Helms or Paul/Juhl's the first six months or first year during the core lecture series and actually have exams.
The other books on your list are all good and should be kept handy. Secrets has pictures which are more important when you see things for the first time. I like Primer more than Dahnart because it is easier to read. I found Recall very helpful and you can quickly read through it. You can even finish it as a fourth year med student.
Good bets when you start residency is reading through the requisite series for each particular rotation. You should also check out the ACR syllabi.
Another thing I found helpful in my first year was attending a board review course (UCSD/Duke) that tied everything together for me for the first time. It was also useful to see what is in store for me and to hear the advices of those ending their training.

My recommendations:

1. Wiest, Fundamentals of Emergency Radiology. Bang for the buck. Read it in a couple days and it's a great start for common (mostly plain film) emergencies. All med students should read it.

2. Brant & Helms is typically the text of choice for 1st year rads. Some use Paul & Juhl.

2. The Wolf Files computer program. It's new. It's a self quiz type program that covers fundamental cases of chest, abdomen & ortho. Know this stuff before residency starts and you'll be ahead of the curve.