Stanford vs. Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford or Harvard?

• Stanford

Votes: 98 58.0%
  • Harvard

Votes: 71 42.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grenouille

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the amazing choices, @grenouille. It sounds like either school would be an excellent fit for your interests.

I think this should be in a different forum, 2014-2015 School-Specific Discussions. Perhaps a mod (let's ask @Narmerguy just because ;)) could move it?

Also, I am in this strange, fortunate position as well. I'm not sure what I can tell you, though, as we have different interests and it seems like personal (i.e., location and financial) factors will be prominent in my own decision. (At least one other school will also feature for the same reasons.)

Last edited:
Heh, interesting topic. Moving to 2014-2015 SSD.

Congrats on your acceptances, OP. It can be a difficult decision. My vote is Stanford though realistically we'd need to know more of your interests/priorities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, do you want to be buried under 7 feet of snow next winter?

Or would you prefer to chill at the beach instead?

Reactions: 7 users
it's still snowing on the northeast in april
that should seal the deal

Reactions: 1 users
A resounding endorsement of Stanford on here. I wonder if OP heard it; he or she hasn't logged in for almost a month. RIP @grenouille.

Stanford, bro. Stanford.

Stanford! It's the only school I think I could never imagine or justify anybody turning down. Too bad OP hasn't returned since this thread was started!

@breakintheroof, I see that you withdrew from Stanford... The resounding endorsement here wasn't enough to sway you? I'd love to hear your reasons for withdrawing at some point if you don't mind! I'm just curious as to why other people don't view Stanford as the end-all-be-all like I do hahaha

If the price to attend each school is identical then Harvard blows Stanford out of the water. I am not surprised by the results of the poll because this is sdn and many people have no clue what they are talking about. Harvard is in its own league with JHU and UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford! It's the only school I think I could never imagine or justify anybody turning down. Too bad OP hasn't returned since this thread was started!

@breakintheroof, I see that you withdrew from Stanford... The resounding endorsement here wasn't enough to sway you? I'd love to hear your reasons for withdrawing at some point if you don't mind! I'm just curious as to why other people don't view Stanford as the end-all-be-all like I do hahaha
I guess we have to accept that Stanford isn't paradise for everyone :)

If the price to attend each school is identical then Harvard blows Stanford out of the water. I am not surprised by the results of the poll because this is sdn and many people have no clue what they are talking about. Harvard is in its own league with JHU and UCSF.

how do you know this?

I guess we have to accept that Stanford isn't paradise for everyone :)
Sure, I might as well share. Short answer, not the right fit. Long answer, some of their biggest strengths aren't as important to me, and there was one pertinent negative.

The negative first: Palo Alto. It's a unique and dynamic place, but having visited a number of times, I have just never felt at home. Too many flashbacks to growing up in suburbia, maybe. Or it could be that my qi was disturbed by the magnetic fields of a million Teslas.

As for Stanford's strengths that appeal more to others, we can also start with a location-related one: Weather! I have experienced 25+ snowy winters now, and I've grown accustomed to them. Maybe I have developed a climactic Stockholm syndrome? Anyway, I don't daydream about year-round sun.

As for the school itself, OP's post reminds me of some of the things that Stanford excels at that I'm less into. "MD/MBA," "health-focused entrepreneurship." A lot of people are drawn to Stanford for their amazing interdisciplinary programs, stellar graduate and professional schools, and pivotal role in innovation/technology/startups. I am not as interested in those. I am satisfied that Stanford is strong in the areas I am interested in--I mean, where are they weak?--but they don't necessarily stand out as much.

Bottom line, Stanford was not going to be the place I'd most like to spend four or five years. Nor was it going to be my cheapest option. When I visited campus (twice), I found it to be a certain kind of paradise, but not necessarily mine. @Cyberdyne 101 is exactly right.

Reactions: 6 users
I should also note that my post is not meant to be framed as Stanford vs. Harvard, despite the thread title. I think it expresses my feelings about Stanford vs. Pritzker or another school.

And of course the Stanford students were amazing and happy and if that's where I had somehow ended up (like if this process were replaced with the match and I didn't get my top choice or two), I would have been thrilled to be there.

Last edited:
Stanford!!! You won't regret it!! And no dreaded winter

What are people talking about 'no winter' at stanford for? NorCal gets cold AF. Its even cold here in socal right now. Burrr 63

Hello all,

I figure I'll bring this topic to life again this year. I have the privilege of choosing between Harvard and Stanford for med school, and I'm struggling to make a decision. I'm interested in combining clinical medicine with health-focused entrepreneurship and global health. I have a lot of experience with East Coast top-tier schools, but I also love laid-back, sunny CA. An MD/MBA is something I'm very strongly considering. What are your thoughts? Current students who made this decision or current applicants in this situation would be most helpful.

Many thanks!
Do you look better in Crimson or Cardinal?

How much do you value your own happiness, and how can the resources from each school (including mentorship) help you in becoming the best physician that you can be? I think both schools will have no shortage of extremely driven students, but I know that a congenial atmosphere is key to my own happiness.

Once you start in whichever school, you'll start justify your decision based on all the cool things and opportunities that you'll experience at Stanford or Harvard. So, in the long run, you can't go wrong, and your doubts will start disappearing once you settle in your school of choice.

As an aside, I don't know whether this is true, but one interesting thing that I've heard was "You go to Harvard to become the top of your field; you go to Stanford to create one."

Last edited:
I'm still here! Thank you for your replies. I continue to be super torn. My financial aid from both schools wasn't generous. I'm very scared about the debt. Harvard seems to have an unparalleled reputation in medicine and has the ability to attract an extremely driven, socially skilled group of students. I suspect the quality of education at Harvard is mediocre, but the quality of fellow students is probably the best. Stanford genuinely cares about its student well-being and mentoring them into successful physicians. I have yet to meet a Harvard student who loved their experience, but many Stanford students talk about how much they enjoy medical school. I really don't know what to think. I sort of wish I didn't have this decision to make!
Welcome back! Glad the reports of your SDN-death were greatly exaggerated.

I hate to ask, but are you sitting on any other acceptances that might be cheaper? (If you only got into these two schools, that would be kind of funny.)

Anyway, from what you've described, it sounds like you'd be happier at Stanford. My thoughts on the school are above so you can see I'm not biased toward it. If reputation is all that's pulling you to Harvard, well...there can't be very many doors that Harvard will open that Stanford won't.

I have yet to meet a Harvard student who loved their experience, but many Stanford students talk about how much they enjoy medical school. I really don't know what to think. I sort of wish I didn't have this decision to make!
The bolded sums it up. Go to Stanford.

Reactions: 3 users
The bolded sums it up. Go to Stanford.

Cannot echo this enough. I do not go to HMS, but I live in Boston and have a few friends who attend. To elaborate on the obvious, HMS is an incredible institution full of brilliant students who thrive. That said, they have one of the least hands-on and supportive administrations from what I've seen when comparing it to other top medical schools. Again, can't stress enough that it's awesome...but other schools are awesome too.

Also, I need to comment on the weather. Yes, many people are used to cold weather...but Boston, in particular this past winter, was not simply "cold weather." I cannot even adequately express how miserable the amount of snow we got was. Our public transportation system is dismal when compared to other big metro areas (NYC, Chicago, etc) and shut down for weeks. The Green Line in particular (which HMS is on) was absolutely brutal. I'm sure students who lived in Vandy were fine, but those who did not were in for a really rough time getting to class (frankly they probably didn't...same goes for those doing rotations). Working downtown, I've never seen people more miserable than when their normal 30 minute commute took 2.5 hours, and this was for a couple of months.

I also have a lot of reservations about a new curriculum being implemented and what that would be like. I saw on a different forum a current student saying to never choose a school implementing a new curriculum because it will have kinks, and I can't see how this couldn't be true. I'm sure it won't be a fault of the school itself, but I don't think any school - Harvard included - could switch from a 2-year preclinical to a 1-year preclinical without flaws and hiccups.

In the end, I wouldn't advise someone to choose a lower caliber school over HMS...but when considering between incredible schools (of which there are a lot), I think you can't go wrong either way. My advice is definitely to pursue a degree at Stanford; you seem more drawn there, and I think you'd be happier in the long run.

Reactions: 4 users
what a dream decision to have.

honestly, choosing between Harvard and Stanford is like choosing between white gold and yellow gold. both are worth roughly the same, so which do you think looks better on your wrist? buy that one.

Did you come to Harvard revisit this weekend? I'm interested to know what you're thinking after revisit, because Harvard (in my experience) gives a terrible impression on interview day but presents a much more accurate picture for revisit. Also, what'd you think of the video?? We had so much fun making that. Hope you enjoyed the weekend if you had a chance to come out!

Hello all,

I figure I'll bring this topic to life again this year. I have the privilege of choosing between Harvard and Stanford for med school, and I'm struggling to make a decision. I'm interested in combining clinical medicine with health-focused entrepreneurship and global health. I have a lot of experience with East Coast top-tier schools, but I also love laid-back, sunny CA. An MD/MBA is something I'm very strongly considering. What are your thoughts? Current students who made this decision or current applicants in this situation would be most helpful.

Many thanks!

Do you like winter? If not, go to Stanford.
Do you hate the sun? If so, go to Harvard.

I would just go with the location where I'd be happiest. It's not like either school will limit your future career prospects, however you decide to shape it.

I'm still here! Thank you for your replies. I continue to be super torn. My financial aid from both schools wasn't generous. I'm very scared about the debt. Harvard seems to have an unparalleled reputation in medicine and has the ability to attract an extremely driven, socially skilled group of students. I suspect the quality of education at Harvard is mediocre, but the quality of fellow students is probably the best. Stanford genuinely cares about its student well-being and mentoring them into successful physicians. I have yet to meet a Harvard student who loved their experience, but many Stanford students talk about how much they enjoy medical school. I really don't know what to think. I sort of wish I didn't have this decision to make!

I have a friend graduating from HMS this year, have only heard positive things. That said, Stanford is my dream school and it's to my great dismay that they don't have a med/peds program. The Stanford alum I've worked with have been excellent not just clinically but as educators and mentors. Also, the northeast has some ridiculous ass snow.

I work with lots of HMS students and they like it a lot.

Some of the seeming differences in prestige and 'wow' factor for harvard are overblown here. No one is going to question you for going to stanford/UCSF/JHU etc over Harvard.

OP seems to be more interested in things that Stanford is better at. You're going to be looking at the same amount of debt and the same life trajectory at both those schools so go where you'd be happier and that really sounds like Stanford from all the OP's post. It seems the OP is just incredibly nervous to have to turn down harvard. I can't fault them for that!

Where do you want to be for the rest of your life? If California, Stanford. If northeast, Harvard. If you want to move you can but to an extent it's fighting uphill and your opportunities may be better locally (stronger network).

How much do you value your own happiness, and how can the resources from each school (including mentorship) help you in becoming the best physician that you can be? I think both schools will have no shortage of extremely driven students, but I know that a congenial atmosphere is key to my own happiness.

Once you start in whichever school, you'll start justify your decision based on all the cool things and opportunities that you'll experience at Stanford or Harvard. So, in the long run, you can't go wrong, and your doubts will start disappearing once you settle in your school of choice.

As an aside, I don't know whether this is true, but one interesting thing that I've heard was "You go to Harvard to become the top of your field; you go to Stanford to create one."

This is definitely true. Many of the research faculty here talk about how Harvard wants to be the leader in established fields. While, Stanford wants to create new fields. There's a slightly more energetic spirit at Stanford than at Harvard and they give their faculty a lot more wiggle room to develop new ideas.

I will say I interviewed at multiple Harvard sites for residency and was impressed by all of the time. The faculty were great, the pathology was awesome, the support/research was superb. MGH has a rep as a "malignant" "intense" place, but all I found was a bunch of happy, super enthusiastic residents who liked taking care of the underserved. A lot of these are residency considerations, though, and not "medical school" considerations.

As for above comments...it doesn't matter whether you plan on ending up on the East Coast or West Coast eventually. Both schools offer very similar opportunities for graduate training. Many Stanford students go East and many Harvard students go West after medical school. You'll be well positioned from either location.

If you've never lived in California, I'd definitely give it a try. A lot of my classmates from the East Coast loved their time here either enough to (1) want to stay here forever or (2) go back East but truly appreciate the 4 years they had living outside of it.

I actually got rejected from Harvard. But, after going through med school at Stanford, would probably have chosen to go here anyway. It's a special place and you'll always be a part of the "Stanford family". Stanford has a habit of getting back it's own medical students for fellowship training or faculty positions even if they end up going someplace else for residency.

Where do you want to be for the rest of your life? If California, Stanford. If northeast, Harvard. If you want to move you can but to an extent it's fighting uphill and your opportunities may be better locally (stronger network).
One can easily match at a Harvard/NE program from Stanford and vice-versa.

One can easily match at a Harvard/NE program from Stanford and vice-versa.

They could (because it's ****ing Stanford), but Longwood/MGH is incredibly incestuous, and regional ties and connections still play a role. If he wants to be here, there's no better way than to already be here.

Amazing options--you really can't go wrong. Well, I guess I'd say Harvard if they can teach you to dance like this haha

Is bumping up a two year old post really called for in this situation??

Status
Not open for further replies.