Stanford School of Medicine Class of 2009-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i didn't see dr. garcia at all during my interview day, so i didn't write a thank you to him. actually, i was admitted before i wrote the thank yous, so i guess it doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all those admitted! I'm in the waiting boat- and not too happy about it... 2-4 weeks is horribly vague....

sockandmittens said:
Congrats to all those admitted! I'm in the waiting boat- and not too happy about it... 2-4 weeks is horribly vague....

hey congrats on the interview. i hope it went well. chill out on the waiting part, they will get to you, sooner than later. At least you don't have to wait until a set date, like some of the Ivy's...which is rather annoying.

for those of you wondering about thank you notes....I think the general rule is only write letters to those people that you interviewed with, and with whom you interacted with SIGNIFICANTLY... :luck: otherwise, it would be obvious that you are trying to impress them....

I actually met with Dr. Garcia myself at the end of the day...and we chatted for a while. :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
CreativeWriter said:
for those of you wondering about thank you notes....I think the general rule is only write letters to those people that you interviewed with, and with whom you interacted with SIGNIFICANTLY... :luck: otherwise, it would be obvious that you are trying to impress them....

I have sent thank you's to the dean in addition to those you mention. In my letter to the dean I thanked him/her for having been granted an interview.

And then I threw in a few lines to try to impress them . . . :)

I just got an interview invitation per email today!! There is still hope! :D :D :D

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:
SmartyPants said:
I just got an interview invitation per email today!! There is still hope! :D :D :D

See, I told you!

Congrats! Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks CreativeWriter! I'm soooo excited!! :D
Can you recommend a not too expensive hotel around the area?

I'm not accepted like creative ;) but I was able to get a rate of 60 at the SLAC guest house- and they have a shuttle to take you there in the morning.

SmartyPants said:
Thanks CreativeWriter! I'm soooo excited!! :D
Can you recommend a not too expensive hotel around the area?

Wow, congrats! I hope I'm next!

Yeah, definitely consider the SLAC guest house instead of a hotel: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/hds/SLAC/

Thanks guys, you're awesome!! :thumbup: I'll definitely check it out. And I'll let you know how everything went. Wish me luck!!

SmartyPants said:
Thanks guys, you're awesome!! :thumbup: I'll definitely check it out. And I'll let you know how everything went. Wish me luck!!

Just a tip, if you are driving to the interview. You should go to the admissions office 15min earlier to get a free parking pass. The parking lot where you are permitted to park is a 10 min walk. Sou give yourself extra time to walk back.

Good luck :luck:

krelian said:
i didn't see dr. garcia at all during my interview day, so i didn't write a thank you to him. actually, i was admitted before i wrote the thank yous, so i guess it doesn't really matter.

how long did you take before you wrote thank you's?

To everyone who got accepted to Stanford,

Congrats! I'm applying at the end of this school year for med school, but Stanford is definitely my number one choice, probably for all the same reasons as you guys! I REALLY REALLY want to go there, and it would be so great if those accepted can offer insight on what you think Stanford looks for in applicants, and what you think helped you in getting accepted there. Did you think your SU interview helped? If yes, what was it in your interview that helped win them over? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
SmartyPants said:

Good luck Smarty!! :thumbup:

Have you or anyone you know heard back after interviewing for Stanford MSTP?

Well it's Thursday...again...and the adcom is currently dreaming about their meeting later today in which they will finally decide to give me a call.

By the way does it mean anything at all if the faculty interviewer tells you that they "will rate you very highly"...or is it just bs?

Thanks

*Gulp* I'm nervous I shouldn't even hear yet! Good luck everyone who is waiting!

Any body got any call from Stanford today?

UCLAreject said:
Well it's Thursday...again...and the adcom is currently dreaming about their meeting later today in which they will finally decide to give me a call.

By the way does it mean anything at all if the faculty interviewer tells you that they "will rate you very highly"...or is it just bs?

Thanks

good luck ucla rej! they only meet once a week? as for the whole rating thing, that certainly sounds promising. I doubt something like that can hurt; my faculty was a semi-stress interview and it went ok but my student interview went well and he said that same kinda thing but he prefaced that saying in the past that he has highly recommended people and they havent gotten in, and vice versa.

Hey guys,

Instead of getting a phone call today I got a thin envelope in the mail. Its been a pleasure being a part of this thread, but alas it seems my time has come. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Sincerely,
UCLA/StanfordReject

UCLAreject said:
Hey guys,

Instead of getting a phone call today I got a thin envelope in the mail. Its been a pleasure being a part of this thread, but alas it seems my time has come. Best of luck to the rest of you.

Sincerely,
UCLA/StanfordReject

8*(

I feel for you......

UCLAreject said:
Hey guys,

Sincerely,
UCLA/StanfordReject

I got the thin letter too, finally, dated 2/22.
Good luck to everyone else!

I will be at SMS for my interview on Monday. Wish me luck!

:luck: Treg

PS How long will it take me to drive from SFO on Sunday evening to SLAC?

Treg said:

good luck :luck: ,

I guess you will take I-280 south to SLAC. It will probably take you less than half an hour to get to SLAC.

Treg said:

take 380 to 280 south and exit sand hill (turn left). SLAC will be on the right a few blocks later. I'd say 25-30 min minimum if you're not familiar with the area

Hey everyone... I just got accepted last night!!!! I interviewed last wednesday. Is anyone on this thread going to cali from Fl?

Hi all! Congrats to everyone who's been accepted to Stanford. Very much well-deserved. :)

Well, I have been complete over 6 months at Stanford, and I have heard nada. Nothing. Zilch.

Does this mean that a rejection is soon coming? I have been very fortunate (thank God) to have been accepted to UCLA and UCSF. But going into this process, Stanford was my top choice. My attitude has changed a little, but I would still love the opportunity to interview.

Any luck left for me?

PM1981 said:
Hey everyone... I just got accepted last night!!!! I interviewed last wednesday. Is anyone on this thread going to cali from Fl?

wow! thats amazing turn around time; they must really want you. I just interviewed last wk and im worried now thanks to you :) I thought they said 4 wks? whats the deal. Are you're stats impressively high? did the interview go particularly well? did you write to the dean or anything? did garcia call you, or email? oh, and are you going for sure? thanks and congrats!

Tra La La said:
Hi all! Congrats to everyone who's been accepted to Stanford. Very much well-deserved. :)

Well, I have been complete over 6 months at Stanford, and I have heard nada. Nothing. Zilch.

Does this mean that a rejection is soon coming? I have been very fortunate (thank God) to have been accepted to UCLA and UCSF. But going into this process, Stanford was my top choice. My attitude has changed a little, but I would still love the opportunity to interview.

Any luck left for me?

hey Tra La La....there's still hope if you have not heard from them. They will be interviewing until April. So don't give up yet! I hear ya on the randomness of this process...I have been at several top 15 med schools, but been rejected by some lowered "ranked" schools. so basically you just never know! :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

keep the hope until you find out, one way or another ...at least you have the best two Cali schools under your belt! UCSF and UCLA! by the way, I am consindering UCLA, too :p)

take care

:luck:

Treg said:

Best of luck on Monday. :cool: Kick some ass!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: don't forget to tell them that you have been accepted at WashU...BUT if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go there...make that WELL KNOWN...otherwise, they will not be as actively interested in getting you to come....for some reason, they only want to accept people who are serious about attending to Stanford...they don't like to deal with wait list drama...that's my feeling...so no true facts...just feeling :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CreativeWriter said:
hey Tra La La....there's still hope if you have not heard from them. They will be interviewing until April. So don't give up yet! I hear ya on the randomness of this process...I have been at several top 15 med schools, but been rejected by some lowered "ranked" schools. so basically you just never know! :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

keep the hope until you find out, one way or another ...at least you have the best two Cali schools under your belt! UCSF and UCLA! by the way, I am consindering UCLA, too :p)

take care

Thanks for the kind words--and double congratulations on UCLA and Stanford! That's so awesome.

I definitely agree with you on the issue of randomness; I have also interviewed at other "top-tier" schools (i.e., Duke, Harvard), but for some reason, I really want the Stanford interview.

While UCLA's and UCSF's clinical programs might have an edge on Stanford's, I really love the Stanford environment, weather, and financial aid. But I am not ungrateful for what I have...

Congratulations again! You have an enviable decision to make :)

Treg said:

yay, good luck treg; im going out on a limb and guessing they will love you.

Luck Treg!

They very much are still sending out invites and I'm sure they haven't scheduled even to the end of March yet so there is still a lot of time.

Congrats to those who got in this week!!! I'm quite envious.

Hey... I wouldnt worry too much because your interviewers just may not have had the time to submit their letters into your file yet. My stats are really not high, I'm surprised I got in to stanford (34 MCAT 3.8 gpa). I've just done a lot of research and I supose that is what counts most at stanford. My interviews did go very well especially with the med student whom I spoke with for about an hour and a half. I did write thank you notes to interviewers and to Dr. Garcia by email. Garcia called me at 9 pm eastern on thur night. I'm probably going there! Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll get in. Dont worry. :)

Haybrant said:
wow! thats amazing turn around time; they must really want you. I just interviewed last wk and im worried now thanks to you :) I thought they said 4 wks? whats the deal. Are you're stats impressively high? did the interview go particularly well? did you write to the dean or anything? did garcia call you, or email? oh, and are you going for sure? thanks and congrats!

Haybrant said:
yay, good luck treg; im going out on a limb and guessing they will love you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I was really excited that it was going to be my last interview, except I just found out that I am going back to a different school for a scholarship interview. Will it ever end? I am giving my suit a real workout this year :D

I will be sure to post my SMS experience here next week. Good luck to everyone waiting post-interview!

Treg

Treg: Congrats on the scholarship interview!!!! That's amazing and you are so deserving =)

just found out i got in! barring any unforseen circumstance Ill see those of you who decide to go next year!

Yay! Congrats- that's great. How'd you find out on a monday?

sockandmittens said:
Yay! Congrats- that's great. How'd you find out on a monday?

thanks! apparently they were suppossed to notify me last wk but for some reason i didnt get that notification; went in to turn in an update and one of the admin people recognized me and broke the news!

Congratulation!!!

guess maybe I won't see u at irvine tomorrow after all.

Haybrant said:
just found out i got in! barring any unforseen circumstance Ill see those of you who decide to go next year!

Sweet, Haybrant! Congratulations. I wish I could say that I will see you at Stanford next fall, but, alas, I am not Stanford material.

hey guys, is stanford still giving out interview invites? i haven't heard anything from them and am starting to think that maybe they lost my application.

Haybrant said:
thanks! apparently they were suppossed to notify me last wk but for some reason i didnt get that notification; went in to turn in an update and one of the admin people recognized me and broke the news!

I am happy to hear the good news! are you joining me there next fall?

Treg, I hope you had a positive experience! :love: :luck:

Venting a little: At first i thought the disclosure of the thursday night acceptance calls was great. It was predictable, I could know what to expect. Now, I see that really all it does is cause me to be nervous and petrified the entire week as thursday approaches, oh so slowly. Stanford is my long shot, so I'm not expecting to get in, but the next three thursdays are going to be painful... And yes, I am trying to be calm about this process; however, this is the only school so far which has driven me nuts.

Best of luck to everyone else waiting and congrats to those who got in last week!

Well, Stanford is a great school, with beautiful facilities, happy students, etc., but I am not sure if it is the best place for me. My faculty interviewer wanted to talk science like >95% of the time, and even my student interviewer wanted to talk about my research first thing. I am perfectly happy to discuss my work, but there is more to me than that....

By the way, there were supposed to be 7 people there, but only three of us showed up because two had called in sick and three were no shows!

:) Treg

Treg said:
. . . and three were no shows!

Wow, can't believe they didn't show. If they've decided not to attend, you'd think they would have called to cancel.

More spots for us waiting for an interview!

Treg said:
Well, Stanford is a great school, with beautiful facilities, happy students, etc., but I am not sure if it is the best place for me. My faculty interviewer wanted to talk science like >95% of the time, and even my student interviewer wanted to talk about my research first thing. I am perfectly happy to discuss my work, but there is more to me than that....

By the way, there were supposed to be 7 people there, but only three of us showed up because two had called in sick and three were no shows!

:) Treg

i wouldnt base your decision on what the interviewers wanted to talk about; if you are a Ph.D and I was interviewing you I would want to talk about your research too; in all honesty alot of interviews are so surface level that compared to my talks at stanford I felt they were a waste of time; I didnt learn about the person across the table and they didnt learn about me. talking about research is one avenue and if that happens to be what makes you stand out you can imagine why they focused on it. That said, i got the impression that the student body is very diverse; see the advantage of having a scholarly conc. is that you go and focus on your own thing (pub health, basic sci,community etc...) but when everyone comes together it adds tremendously to the diversity of the class. There are more profundities that I feel make the curriculum really strong but i dont want to bore so PM me if you are interested. Congrats on finishing the interview! [i think there may have been no shows b.c of the weather out east?]

CreativeWriter said:
I agree with Hybrant...my faculty interview was an dingus, but I still got in, and I feel he's just one crazy locofusker in the crowd....

this is a good site!

http://medicologic.com/stanford/convince.htm Why Choose Stanford?

:thumbup: Treg, you will be fine...not sure if WashU is any better, environment wise... :confused:

I guess there were several other things that factored in to my not-so-great impression. The day seemed a bit disorganized, and we hardly met any current students. At the lunch, the three of us interviewees were sitting in that cafe chatting by ourselves for at least a half hour before anyone came. You would think that the students would see three people in black suits sitting there and know that we were interviewees, and as such stop and say hello. No such luck. Then my student interviewee was all business. She wouldn't even crack a smile! I have been on enough interviews at this point that it is hard to get excited about somewhere when other places have really tried harder.

Yeah, Wash U is a big time research school, with the rep of being hardcore. But at my interview, I met tons of students, they all seemed really happy, and the admin seems to bend over backward to help you out and sell the school. For example, my interviewer at Wash U has my husband's CV and is trying to help him find a job there. At SMS, my interviewer couldn't really give me any advice about where I would live there with my husband and daughter. He was like, "hmmm, I will pass that back to the committee, and maybe they can help out." Of course, he asked NOTHING about my husband, my background, my daughter, nada. This is the first school where that has happened. Even during the "curriculum" discussion (which was a little strange, just meeting one on one with this guy in his office), he pulled up my secondary on his computer and was asking about my interest in academic medicine, etc.

Anyway, I know that some of you out there love SMS, and that is great :) I believe that there is somewhere perfect for each of us, where we will be most happy.

:D Treg